Thread: WTB: GMPP TBI / Vortec Intake Manifold

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WTB: GMPP TBI / Vortec Intake Manifold

I want to buy a GMPP TBI to Vortec intake.

Like this:
    http://paceperformance.com/i-6255261...-with-egr.html

I already missed out on a couple of decent deals on ebay and I am looking to find a good deal on a used one rather than pay the high price for a new one.

So if you have one you want to sell or know anyone that has one they want to sell, please PM me.

Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    This intake only offers mild performance gains over stock. A factory 86-87 aluminum 4bbl quadrajet manifold with adapter can provide greater gains while retaining EGR and factory manifold heating and it bolts right onto the factory heads.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-OE...cfe58e&vxp=mtr
    (Not my part)

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    This intake only offers mild performance gains over stock. A factory 86-87 aluminum 4bbl quadrajet manifold with adapter can provide greater gains while retaining EGR and factory manifold heating and it bolts right onto the factory heads.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-OE...cfe58e&vxp=mtr
    (Not my part)
    I agree, the factory cast Q-Jet aluminum intake is often over looked as an affordable intake option for SBC cast iron heads 1986 and before. Unfortunately, the TBI heads from 1987 ~ 1995 had the center bolt holes angled differently, so the factory cast Q-Jet aluminum intake is not a simple swap to TBI heads without elongating the center mounting holes.

I think Devin is looking for an intake that will bolt to the 1996 / newer Vortec heads that have eight intake mounting bolts.

dave w

That is correct Dave,

I need a intake for the 1996 and up Vortec heads.

What I like about the GMPP intake is it allows the water to flow from all 4 corners of the heads allowing the the water from the back of the heads to flow through the intake towards the thermostat. There are some issues with running Vortec heads with the way the water flows through them. GM eliminated the block bypass when the came out with the Vortec heads and that is why the water pumps have 2 bypass ports one for a constant bypass and one for the heater.

I assume the fact that this intake has the the water passages and egr gas passage cast into it the way that it does is what makes it so expensive. I would imagine the process to cast it is a lot more involved.

Look at the pic I added you can see all the passages on the underside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by devind; 11-22-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added pic

Quote Originally Posted by devind View Post
    That is correct Dave,

I need a intake for the 1996 and up Vortec heads.

What I like about the GMPP intake is it allows the water to flow from all 4 corners of the heads allowing the the water from the back of the heads to flow through the intake towards the thermostat. There are some issues with running Vortec heads with the way the water flows through them. GM eliminated the block bypass when the came out with the Vortec heads and that is why the water pumps have 2 bypass ports one for a constant bypass and one for the heater.

I assume the fact that this intake has the the water passages and egr gas passage cast into it the way that it does is what makes it so expensive. I would imagine the process to cast it is a lot more involved.

Look at the pic I added you can see all the passages on the underside.
    Devin,
    Just wondering if you have given any thought to converting to the 1996 ~ 2000 Vortec MPFI system using the '427 PCM? It could be done in two steps, first upgrade to the '427 PCM, then install the 1996 ~ 2000 Vortec MPFI system. I have experience doing both conversions, and would be willing to share my notes.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Devin,
    Just wondering if you have given any thought to converting to the 1996 ~ 2000 Vortec MPFI system using the '427 PCM? It could be done in two steps, first upgrade to the '427 PCM, then install the 1996 ~ 2000 Vortec MPFI system. I have experience doing both conversions, and would be willing to share my notes.

dave w
    Have I thought about it? Yes
    Am I intimidated about it? Yes
    Worried about expense? Yes
    Worried about time it would take to start over? Yes
    Concerned about starting over when this close on current setup? Yes
    Concerned about complicating the efi setup? Yes

With all that said I am still interested in what you have to show me.
    I would really like some kind of TPI or ram setup like used on the Ram Jet engine. But that is definitely is out of the budget I would imagine.

The set up now makes more than enough power for the Jeep but anything I could do to improve overall drivability would be good. But I would like to keep it simple; I am a big fan of simplicity.