Thread: async mode 1227747

async mode 1227747

I saw some posts saying to stay away from bins that use async fueling. How do I know if my bin uses async fueling or not?

Burn 11-07-13.bin

Watch your data log and it has a bit that shows Sync or Async. Looking at your BPW paramters I'd say your bin is Sync.

They all seem to hit Async under Decel or DFCO and some during PE, IIRC AE and PE... is also Async but there is no data in stream to show on these slow ECMs.

The SYnc/Async topic has come up from back in DIY-EFI days and years later on Thirdgen and the consensus was always Sync runs better and easier to tune. My own testing has proven this on any motor. Tuning VE with BLM data on an Async bin is a nightmare!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Watch your data log and it has a bit that shows Sync or Async. Looking at your BPW paramters I'd say your bin is Sync.

They all seem to hit Async under Decel or DFCO and some during PE, IIRC AE and PE... is also Async but there is no data in stream to show on these slow ECMs.

The SYnc/Async topic has come up from back in DIY-EFI days and years later on Thirdgen and the consensus was always Sync runs better and easier to tune. My own testing has proven this on any motor. Tuning VE with BLM data on an Async bin is a nightmare!
    Thanks for the help. I opened a log file and saw what you were refering to.

Below is an example of a Sync vs. Async .bin file.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

You know the Async fueling seems to work well in newer faster ECM's that also run only INT/Short Term Fuel Trim, no BLM. I think these slower ECM just can't do it fast enough?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    So is this accurate in the xdf?:

**Async mode is firing both injectors.
    Sync mode is alternate firing of the injectors each DPR**
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you have a bin that runs Async fueling always it sucks especially for idle, it still uses Async for AE, by making the changes below you can run Sync fueling and without messing up Async AE code.
    Minimum BPW Hyst Value: set to 305.33 Usec
    Minimum BPW: set to 503.80 Usec
    Max Asynch BPW: set to 11.99 Msec
    Min Asynch BPW: set to 687.00 Usec

This will allow async AE mode while disabling regular async fueling.
    In other words, if I wanted to try an async bin, doing the above makes it a synch bin that can be tweaked as easily as a bin that is originally a sync bin?

EDITED TO ADD:

Mark, can you verify the xdf notes about those values? Based on the asdu bin, the Min BPW Hyst Value and the Minimum BPW values are swapped in the notes regarding the disabling Async mode.

So for funsies, I ran a 4.3 bin last night on the way to work, all I did prior to installing the chip in the ecm was change the BPW and apply the spark advance hack and the egr hack.

Ran like crap in gear at idle stop. Figured it might. That data log is called ATKXwork111913, and the bin is ATKXtest.

After looking over a couple of things and making some changes to the desired c/l idle speed, changing the pertinent info too put the bin into synch mode per the xdf instructions, I burned another chip and drove it home this morning. While the ve tables need tweaking, it sure seemed to run different, in a better way, than with the ASDU bin. That bin is called ATKXsynch, and the data log is called ATKXsynchhome112013. (note that neither bins have had any ve adjustments.
    Last edited by damanx; 11-23-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Those notes were accurate.. may have swapped on? For a 5.7L So they may be off for your 3.4 and 4.3L settings may be a better start. ony had a 4.3L Sync bin he found but I forget what BCC?

I seriously think one of the first changes I would do in a tune for your 3.4L is get a 3.4L spark advance timing table in there, even before VE work. Since there is none for $42 you would have to open two instances of TunerPro and copy from one to paste in other. Can't compare two differant masks.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Mark, in regards to the notes about the synch mode in the xdf, I opened a bin that was identified as one of Fast's modded bins in a recent thread, I don't remember which at the moment. I grabbed that one last week sometime to look at the timing table. (you mentioned that the table in that bin had higher idle spark advance because of his cam and that they were too high for my stock engine).

In any case, looking at that bin, those numbers in the xdf notes do not correspond with the actual numbers in the bin. Maybe I am looking at something incorrectly, but I did not have any reason to change any numbers in that bin that Fast was using.

As far as the 3.4 spark table, I tried to do that with the modded ASDU bin, (the veadjusted bin), and knock counts were horrible. Maybe it would work with this modified ATKX bin.

ETA: here is that post I was referring to, screen shot included:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?2405-what-im-missing-here&p=30896&viewfull=1#post30896
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by damanx; 11-20-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Things in XDF were changed from Msec to Usec...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Mark,

If you look at the Min BPW Hyst value above, as noted in the notes, it states to set that value to 305.33 usec. The bin value shows .5 milliseconds.

Then the notes state to change the Min BPW to 503.80 usec. The bin shows for that parameter .3 Msec, which is 300 microseconds.

Unless I am missing something, the values appear to be inadvertently swapped.

Sure looks like a swapped them....

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Sure looks like a swapped them....
    My apologies Mark, certainly not trying to give you a hard time, BUT, now the question is whether the bin values are correct and the notes are not, or the notes are and the bin isn't.

Why apologize? I made a mistake and you found it!

-= =-