Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BLM- Long term fuel trim?

Electronic Ignition!
    You can see where I disconnected the alternator it's less than 12v about half way thru the recording. Connected it's 14+ volts. I replaced the coolant sensor last nite it's a NAPA TS4052SB. My question is does the coolant sensor start a high number like 205C in open loop then drop down to 62C in closed loop? How did you read my file? All I see are all kinds of marks. Is this what is called HEX and how do I change this into letters and numbers?

Fuel Injected!
    I did not notice the voltage.

At the menu at the top of TunerPro, select "view", then select "toolbars" then make sure that "data acquisition" is checked.

If it is, then you should see the following icons:

A red circle target looking icon, which is a gauge. Select that and a default gauge display will show up. It will look like a digital dash.

The next icon looks like a notepad. Select that and you can see the data and numbers in line by line, (like written on a notepad per se)

Next icon is a clock. This shows info in a table based on rpm/map values.

Last is a bargraph icon. It's the data monitor where you can see things in like a line graph format.

As far as the 15 error, disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect to reset the ecm.

Is the engine block ground good?

Oh, I read your file by opening it in TunerPro. That is done by using the button that looks like an "eject" button, or by selecting "acquisition" then selecting "load log file".
    Last edited by damanx; 11-23-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    I forgot that I disconnected the coolant sensor while the truck was running yesterday and got that alarm. I will clear it out. It showed 250C disconnected. Is that right? The engine block ground is good. I loosened and retightened same. Thanks GS

FWIW, here’s my take after looking at the log file (have posted the log file in .xls format for viewing in Excel and rearranged some columns to aid in analysis).

Observations not in any particular order:

• TPS is not properly set nor is idle. TPS at idle shows to be 0.90v (should be less) while TPS%=46% which is way too high (should be 0%).
    • Idle seems way high for a stock engine at 1000+. Properly setting idle and TPS will solve some things but that’s likely not the issue you’re seeing. At this point, not really sure what that is. Search for setting TBI idle.
    • Before the alternator is “disconnected” at sample #972 (green line), things are clearly not right while it's "connected" regardless of whether in Open Loop (OL) or Closed Loop (CL):
      • Idle RPM rises from 600 at 62*F to 1000+ at 130*F. Not right and just backwards of what should happen. RPm should drop as temp rises. Also, this takes 7 minutes (435 engine run seconds). Not right.
      • BLM is 135 in OL before going into CL at sample #765 (blue line). Should be 128 in OL
      • After entering CL, BLM rises from 135 to 159 and stays there, while INT changes slightly for a few samples and then locks at 128. Not right.
      • Takes 15 min to go into CL. Not right.
      • KPa is in low 40’s = seems too high for a stock engine running at 1000 PRM in P/N (= no load).

With alternator “connected”, it seems fueling is being improperly managed and/or reported by the ECM.

Then when the alternator is “disconnected” at sample #972, things seem to become normal:

• After disconnection, BLMs immediately drop from 159 to believable, slightly lean values in the low 130s.
    • Also, note that kPa’s drop from low 40s to mid 20’s which is more believable at 1000 no-load RPM. So RPM stays the same at approx 1000 after disconnect, but kPa’s drop to mid-high 20s with no change in load. Not possible unless ECM being affected (by the alternator wiring???)
    • IAC position now seems OK at mid 40s with the idle RPM. Should be much lower, but that will be fixed by properly adjusting idle and TPS.
    • Throttle tap between samples 1077 and 1099 seems normal looking at the log.
    • Battery volts drop to just over 12v from over 14v at sample #972. This seems normal as it is not uncommon for single volt alternators at idle or slightly above to require a certain higher RPM (1200+) to initiate charging in excess of 12v (see: http://www.powermastermotorsports.co...rnators.html#1). So, approx 12v at 1000 RPM seems right.
    • Finally, it seems that the alternator is properly hooked up after you say you disconnected it. I’d check wiring. See also above link for details + additional searches.

So bottom line, all seems normal with the alternator “disconnected”. Do a log while driving it with “alternator disconnected” and describe what occurs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    bad ecm ?

Electronic Ignition!

ECM

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    bad ecm ?
    I have replaced the ECM with a rebuilt Advanced Auto Part same PROM is still being used that was installed when the truck was new and this is the 3rd ECM I have tried solving other problems none of which were solved by changing ECM's. I also bought a complete ECM 1227747 with prom AMUR on Ebay it is the latest ECM try and no help here I only saw a faster idle and a fast shift from 3dr gear into over drive mode. The seller said this would work in my truck but as I researched this PROM and it is for a 1987 truck which probably doesn't make any difference? I now am now running the Advanced Auto ECM with the ASDU Prom. I will try a run with the alternator unhooked and post the log here. G.S.

Fuel Injected!
    paulse with vs battery voltage, on a 288 ecm at 11.2 volts paulse with is 1.063, at 14.4 volts it is 0.984 that will change blms a lot. I don't know what it is on a 7747.

Electronic Ignition!
    I have two logs to post. Truck3 is the motor running with the alternator not charging and Truck4 is charging. Sometime back I changed the TPS from the original because of the non start issue. This sensor was OK. They are non adjustable and the new sensor NAPA 3-1947 may be way off in adjustment. Maybe I should go back to the old sensor? G.S.truck3.xdltruck4.xdl
    Last edited by rudder2fly; 11-27-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Open Logs

What kind of cable do you have? The 10k switch is on so your running in ALDL mode, which increases timing, raises idle and who knows what else. Your knock counts are going crazy driving with all that extra spark.

Have to turn that switch off and do another log.

TPS% at .90 is way to high, have to loosen it and twist it to get voltage back down. GM says .54 is perfect, I say anything under .70 does not effect it.

Not sure why a lower voltage makes BLM better/lower? Actually less voltage would be less fuel from pump and should make it worse!

WOnder if being in ALDL mode, added spark and all the knock counts is causing a misfire and giving the O2 sensor false readings? Have you ever set timing on this to 0 with bypass dis-connected as well?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    What kind of cable do you have? The 10k switch is on so your running in ALDL mode, which increases timing, raises idle and who knows what else. Your knock counts are going crazy driving with all that extra spark.

Have to turn that switch off and do another log.

TPS% at .90 is way to high, have to loosen it and twist it to get voltage back down. GM says .54 is perfect, I say anything under .70 does not effect it.

Not sure why a lower voltage makes BLM better/lower? Actually less voltage would be less fuel from pump and should make it worse!

WOnder if being in ALDL mode, added spark and all the knock counts is causing a misfire and giving the O2 sensor false readings? Have you ever set timing on this to 0 with bypass dis-connected as well?
    I have the Moates Extreme ALDL cable set at 10k. The TPS sensor is nonadjustable! Timing is set at 2 degrees BTDC with the computer not in the loop. The engine will surge with thoughts of running right then drop back like it is dropping cyclinders when charging. Not charging runs pretty good. G.S.

Don't run 10k and get another log with charging system!

You can file the holes in TPS for more room but should not need it unless you have been adjusting the minimum air screw. You can also bend the tang on TBI behind sensor as a second choice.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    at lower voltages the paules with is higher 132 to 137 blms higher voltage paulse with is lower an makes blms go up to 150 or more.

Dam your good ony!

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    [IMG] truck5.xdl[/IMG][IMG] truck6.xdl[/IMG]

You didn't't get those files attached right, can't open them.

At bottom of reply box you will see go advanced, then under that is an attachment manager which works better for files.

-= =-