Thread: Putting a GM TBI system on my 1972 Ford F-250

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!

Putting a GM TBI system on my 1972 Ford F-250

I own a 1972 Ford F-250 4x4 with a 390 v8 with a 4speed trans .The 4speed will be swaped out for NV4500 5speed but that's another story. I have been looking around this site for awhile and i have decided to do a GM TBI conversion . Well I work in a wrecking yard so finding parts is a no brainer . I found a 88 Chevy truck that donated the computer an its wiring harness,sensors,distributor . Now I'm sitting here with a huge pile of wires trying to figure out what I need to keep an whats going to end up on the floor! I'm doing the build your own distributor out of a ford points distributor an a small cap GM HEI distributor as out lined here on this site. This build is going to take awhile like a year maybe cause i'm building a new motor an painting the truck plus the 5speed swap. I will take pic's as i go along here an of course asking a ton of questions cause this is my first efi conversion if this works great my 1978 bronco is next to get the GM TBI conversion

Quote Originally Posted by akforceten View Post
    I own a 1972 Ford F-250 4x4 with a 390 v8 with a 4speed trans .The 4speed will be swaped out for NV4500 5speed but that's another story. I have been looking around this site for awhile and i have decided to do a GM TBI conversion . Well I work in a wrecking yard so finding parts is a no brainer . I found a 88 Chevy truck that donated the computer an its wiring harness,sensors,distributor . Now I'm sitting here with a huge pile of wires trying to figure out what I need to keep an whats going to end up on the floor! I'm doing the build your own distributor out of a ford points distributor an a small cap GM HEI distributor as out lined here on this site. This build is going to take awhile like a year maybe cause i'm building a new motor an painting the truck plus the 5speed swap. I will take pic's as i go along here an of course asking a ton of questions cause this is my first efi conversion if this works great my 1978 bronco is next to get the GM TBI conversion

I'm curious how things go. I too am in the process of putting a TBI fuel injection system on a ford motor. My project is different:

-I'm using a 351W
    -Its going in a boat
    -I'm using the ford duraspark distributor (with modifications)
    -I'm not using the VSS, EGR, Knock, or any other transmission related sensors.

So far the TBI system is installed, the engine is running, and I am starting the tuning process.

Good luck!

Electronic Ignition!
    That sounds like a cool project you got going on. I'm still in the wiring phase like figuring out what to eliminate an what to keep and getting that glob of glue that GM used on the firewall plug.

Acetone melts that glob of glue and does not hurt the wires.

Wiring diagrams are in the $42 info thread. Think one wire at a time. The hardest part of re-wiring a stock harness is planning how to fuse and relay what you need. I like to add a realy to turn it all on! Then you can use the wire that went to points to turn that relay and system on.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Thank you EagleMark for the info. i have been using the wiring diagrams on this site but it still make my head hurt sometimes lol . There good diagrams have been helpful for me. I'm eliminating EGR stuff,auto trans w/VSS wiring,knock sensor so far.I tell you when you get the stock harness unwrapped what a mess of wires!

Yup yup yup! It's not the type of thing for a guy who's strapped for time or has no patience!

Solder and shrink wrap! Take your time! One wire at a time!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-