Thread: 2 1/16 gauge ECM data display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Looks awesome Mike! What are you using for a power supply circuit for 12V ?

Fuel Injected!

Fuel Injected!
    Cool, ty. I will have to get one of those at some point!

Fuel Injected!
    So I moved everything over to an Arduino Mega.

Updated code is always here: https://bitbucket.org/SebGiroux/diyecmgauge. Still have a ton of work to do but all the component are working and basic stuff is hapening.

I can't wait to have finally received everything and start cleaning up this rat nest :)

And here is the schematic:

Carb and Points!
    Your progress looks great! Just a couple comments:
    Your issues with using all your Ram for the libraries is one that it seems a lot of people run into. Generally it seems that people trim the fat out of the libraries to help save space (as well as make things faster - something that's important when driving TFTs). You may want to fish through those libraries and dump the sections that you're not utilizing.

If you decide to add a button, you can look into the "joystick" style buttons. This gives you 5 buttons in one. I picked one up for my project, since I want to be able to scroll through various selections and be able to select one in order to change my display.

BTW Mike, that ALDL gauge is fantastic! Do you have any plans to share the source code? Quite a lot of what you implemented is similar to what I'm hoping to do, albeit mine will be interfacing OBDII and pushed to a TFT.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Jim85IROC,

I will post code and construction information shortly. Getting the parts to all fit in the case was the real challenge!

I'd think my stuff would be easily adaptable to ODBII.

I did the B/W OLED because they are quite readable in different lighting conditions. Color OLED would be nice too but the Arduino Pro Mini's definitely don't have the memory for that. I'd considered a Teensy 3.0 or MegaMini, plenty of memory, but neither will fit in the case but are small enough to be packaged in the gauges external wire harness.

I'm using a rotary encoder for input, it's also got a momentary pushbutton. Two Arduino pins let's you navigate up and down through the available ALDL parameters. One more Arduino pin let's you use the pushbutton to do something, not yet implemented on mine.

The next version, I'm never quite done with toys I build, will probably use the Teensy 3.0, maybe color OLED and for sure utilize the pushbutton for min/max average display of values.

Converting the last ALDL logger I built to CANBUS for OBDII might be a thought, Arduino Mega2560, color LCD, touchscreen, SD card, LiPo battery powered as is, adding bluetooth would be a snap. http://www.xm381.com/xm381/aldl.html#5

Fuel Injected!
    Jim, I agree that the libraries can usually be trimmed down. While that bring some good points like lower RAM usage and better performance like you mentioned, it can also introduce bugs and make updating the library a lot more painful (have to redo the changes every time). At this point, I really want to focus on the main sketch and not worry about those libraries. That's a reason why I try to buy most of the stuff from Adafruit, they have good tutorial with their products and usually a decent library as well that get you going pretty fast. Throwing hardware at the problem at first for the prototype is a good way to work around that issue at first. The only reason I started with an Uno is because I had one laying around :) And now I will probably be fine with the Mega but the reason I bought the Due anyway is really just to give it a try :P

Good idea about the button, I will have to keep that in mind for sure :)