Thread: Taking the EFI plunge

Electronic Ignition!

Taking the EFI plunge

hello i have decided to put a Gm TBI system on my old 1972 Ford F-250 .I work in a wrecking yard so I have access to everything I need. So i hope i can get lots of help here cause this is my first EFI conversion and yes i will take lots of pics an do a write up here on it

I'm wondering how you plan the trigger the computer? Maybe you plan to use a MSD 6A? Maybe you plan to get an aftermarket distributor Ford / HEI Hybrid?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Im going to make a Ford/HEI distributor as outlined here on this site

Cool, very cool.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    ​oh yea u forgot im in oregon so hello from Oregon the only thing i see that might be a problem is my 390 does not have an EGR valve so back to the research an see if i can figure things out

The EGR is not needed. The PROM Chip can be programmed without EGR. The PROM Chip will also need to be re-programmed for the 390 cubic inch displacement.
    The PROM Chip will also need to be re-programmed for things like;
    Manual / Automatic transmission?
    350 Injectors or 454 Injectors?
    Air Conditioning?
    Lean Cruise?
    If you need help with a Custom PROM Chip, just ask.

I don't know what you plan to do for a harness, but I've got a NEW UNIVERSAL TBI harness available.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    so it sounds like your the guy i need to talk to lol how do i get ahold of you

Electronic Ignition!
    ​manual 4x4 is my truck. the harness i'm getting from an 1988 chevy 1500 auto with a 350. it has the 1277747 computer , im on a budget so im getting everything from work oh yea it was a running truck bad trans. For now all i got is the 350 TBI units i'm thinking a 454 RBI unit would be better for the 390 displacement. no ac but i have a york ac unit on there for an on board air system lean cruise? i dont know if i need that or what ie means ,sorry like i said this is my first efi conversion so this is new to me

Quote Originally Posted by akforceten View Post
    so it sounds like your the guy i need to talk to lol how do i get ahold of you
    Private Message. Click on my user name and you will see an option to send a Private Message (PM).

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by akforceten View Post
    ​manual 4x4 is my truck. the harness i'm getting from an 1988 chevy 1500 auto with a 350. it has the 1277747 computer , im on a budget so im getting everything from work oh yea it was a running truck bad trans. For now all i got is the 350 TBI units i'm thinking a 454 RBI unit would be better for the 390 displacement. no ac but i have a york ac unit on there for an on board air system lean cruise? i dont know if i need that or what ie means ,sorry like i said this is my first efi conversion so this is new to me
    There are several options when programming a custom chip for the Ford 390. The 350 Throttle Body is about 535 CFM and usually has 61 lb injectors, which would work for a stock 390 with a custom programmed chip. The 454 Throttle Body has two different types, get the early type 1986 ~ 1990. The early version 454 Throttle Body is about 670 CFM and usually comes with 80 lb injectors, which is what I recommend for the Ford 390, and still needs a custom chip.

A "Bare Bones" custom chip for the Ford 390 will eliminate:
    Electronic Spark Control (ESC) so the Knock Sensor is eliminated.
    Base Pulse Width (BPW) is correctly programmed the 390 cubic inches and injector flow.
    EGR is eliminated.
    Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is eliminated by setting "Manual Trans" in the chip. It also a good idea to ground the park switch input in the wiring harness.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Dave I would like to say thank you. you have enlighten me on things I need to get.I saw the wiring diagrams here on the site an I guess i'm going to have to figure out what to eliminate out of the harness . I'm so excited bout this project ! oh yea i'm all so taking the 4speed out an putting in a NV4500 5 speed for a 2wdrive either out of a chevy or dodge