Thread: $59 F88/89 idle speed stabilizer tables

Fuel Injected!

$59 F88/89 idle speed stabilizer tables

Helping someone *with* a rolling idle problem yesterday, noticed that the idle spark was static. Anyone know if that idle spark stabilizer has been inhibited in $59?

How would I turn that back on?

Thanks!
    Last edited by 34blazer; 11-04-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    '86 Grand National

honestly, the best way I got rid of a rolling idle with $59 was to use proper (or close to) injector vs batt compensation table.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    honestly, the best way I got rid of a rolling idle with $59 was to use proper (or close to) injector vs batt compensation table.
    No disrespect, but that doesn't answer my question. I see those tables(F88/89) are present in the mask but that timing is locked no matter how much adjustment is added into those tables. This tells me that ignition compensation at idle has been inhibited and I'd like to know how to re-enable it. I didn't find any option flag for idle spark control. Has it been completely been removed or just not been labeled in the XDF?

Thanks
    '86 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
    No disrespect, but that doesn't answer my question. I see those tables(F88/89) are present in the mask but that timing is locked no matter how much adjustment is added into those tables. This tells me that ignition compensation at idle has been inhibited and I'd like to know how to re-enable it. I didn't find any option flag for idle spark control. Has it been completely been removed or just not been labeled in the XDF?

Thanks
    But it does answer your question, don't waste your time with those table I was NEVER able to get any appreciable results with even extreme changes of them, and the best result was from better adjusted batt vs injector table.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    But it does answer your question, don't waste your time with those table I was NEVER able to get any appreciable results with even extreme changes of them, and the best result was from better adjusted batt vs injector table.
    That's exactly what i'm saying, you could add 100* of timing to those tables and it wouldn't change anything. I'd like to find out why its not working like its supposed to.

also, where the heck are the emoticons on this forum?
    '86 Grand National

They were making changes for me, but nothing appreciable, and I tried MANY things over a couple of years to get rid of the rolling idle, these tables your so focused on will not get you there.

Do you want to get rid of a rolling idle or not?

Fuel Injected!
    Yes.

I had 11* across both of those tables, but the timing remained stuck at whatever was in the main SA table. Wouldn't budge, and i'd like to figure out why.

Once it starts functioning like its supposed to i'll move on and verify other potential problems.
    '86 Grand National

Fuel Injected!
    Is there a complete XDF out there for TPV5? Only one is the 1.6 V25 which seems partial, others are for the V4.
    '86 Grand National

They are complete.

What more do you want?

V25 isn't recommended to use since some of teh items defined in it aren't actually available on the public bins, which are V18.

Fuel Injected!
    They are complete.

What more do you want?

V25 isn't recommended to use since some of teh items defined in it aren't actually available on the public bins, which are V18.
    I want to figure why idle spark compensation isn't functioning properly, whether its designed like that or has been changed to be inhibited. As I stated above, im starting with this issue, then moving on to other possible issues.

Ill go find V18 and see if the site will let me download it.

Thanks
    '86 Grand National

I don't understand why you want to put blinders on and look at couple of tables that won't solve your issue. Out of the box they are working (from what I have seen on my own car), so I'd say the bin you're working with is corrupt if the actual timing is not changing.

Manipulating these tables never solved a rolling idle for me, the only way I solved was to use proper injector vs batt table settings.

You'll likely find that if these tables do work, that the rolling idle only gets exacerbated, by over compensation which causes the extreme opposite settings to kick in and repeat cycle. You want to use as little compensation as possible, spark or fuel.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't understand why you want to put blinders on and look at couple of tables that won't solve your issue. Out of the box they are working (from what I have seen on my own car), so I'd say the bin you're working with is corrupt if the actual timing is not changing.

Manipulating these tables never solved a rolling idle for me, the only way I solved was to use proper injector vs batt table settings.

You'll likely find that if these tables do work, that the rolling idle only gets exacerbated, by over compensation which causes the extreme opposite settings to kick in and repeat cycle. You want to use as little compensation as possible, spark or fuel.
    IDLE STABILIZER- MIN COOLTEMP FOR ISS LOGIC
    This is what I was looking for(thanks fasteddi). There is also a lag filter and a delay after IAC deadband.

"I don't understand why you want to put blinders on and look at couple of tables"

I have my own theory to test first, in which i'm still working on and prefer not to discuss/dispute. Once I perform the tests, and if successful, I will share for others. If I fail, nothing to lose. LOL
    '86 Grand National

Fuel Injected!
    first thing i turn off when tuning any code base is idle spark compensation.between it and the iac trying to keep idle solid you end up chasing your tail for no gain.

Super Moderator
    i have good results with the idle spark compensation on 60V6 applications..... the IAC logic though? the PID settings always seem to be a little too quick to act in a factory calibration.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E