Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 700R4 Lockup Control w/ TBI

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Don't forget to include suggestions on how to control this lockup because the PCM won't don't do it.
    I will include ALL pertinent information for wiring and operation. You can include or exclude parts of the circuit you either dont have or wish to use.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

There's always the option of a toggle switch for manual operation when you want it locked in fourth.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, much easier then setting up the computer to lock it when the driving conditions are right for it to be locked.

Fuel Injected!
    The one wire design eliminates to computer. It locks up after the band applies for fourth, unlocks when downshifting to any lower gear. The power wire can be ran in series with the brake switch and also a vacuum switch to disengage in fourth under load.

Fuel Injected!
    What about the Tan Wire from the ECM terminal D on the trans conector. Do I just omit it or should I run it to ground on the Solinoid ?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1v6pony View Post
    What about the Tan Wire from the ECM terminal D on the trans conector. Do I just omit it or should I run it to ground on the Solinoid ?
    You can ground it that way or internally with an eyelet to the tcc solenoid bolt. Im working on getting you pics.

Fuel Injected!
    Tried to upload some pics from my phone but kept getting errors. I can post them tomorrow at work or u can pm me ur number.

I'd still like to see them too...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Ill wait so we can get them on the site for anyone else to use also.
    Thanks for the all the help guys
    Brad

Fuel Injected!
    If you're using this 1-wire connection then there is no transmission connection to the ECM and the ECM won't control the TCC.

Pin D is the ECM TCC control output and it is switched to ground to turn-on the solenoid. The ECM also has an input or inputs for the gear selected. You can simply put the solenoid between power and the pin D ECM TCC output to have the ECM operate the TCC. However, you lose the ability to use the different ECM settings for the different gears. If you do this, you can simply put in speed settings that only lock it once a higher speed is reached where the engine won't lug regardless of gear. For example, use 50mph and 55mph as the low and high lock points. Below 50mph the TCC is unlocked, above 55mph the TCC is locked and anywhere in between those speeds it remains in the same condition. If this works for 4th gear without lugging the engine then it'll work for 3rd as well.

The ECM also has %TPS vs speed tables for the converter. At whatever speed in question the TCC will lock if the %TPS is below the lower setpoint. At the same speed, the TCC will unlock if the %TPS goes above the high setpoint. The TCC doesn't change state for any %TPS between the 2 levels.

On a '7747 ECM the gear indicator pin is grounded to indicate the transmission is in 4th or OD. So, if you didn't connect that pin to anything then only the low gear setpoints would be used.

Fuel Injected!
    Who that is a lot of info. Thank you.... and now I am realy confussed. It sounds as if I use the pin D and try to get the ECM to control TCC ,that I am creating a lot of issues.. and need to send ECM back to get it flashed for speed control of the TCC.

So If I just eliminate the other two wires and just use the power wire in Pin A and wire the Solenoid to that and wire the Ground form the Solenoid to a 2 terminal 4 Clutch pressure switch , then out to a toggle switch Will this work or will the engine not perform as well??? Every one seams to think that I can just eliminate the ECm control all to gether, But It seams you are saying that I can not, as it will effect engine managment?
    Do you have a diagram of what you recomend for me, on setting this up??
    Again that you to everyone helping me out..
    Brad

Fuel Injected!
    Hopefully these will suffice for now. The 4th pressure switch is a N.O. single contact switch.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    But It seams you are saying that I can not, as it will effect engine managment?
    Do you have a diagram of what you recomend for me, on setting this up??
    Brad
    No, you don't have to use the ECM. My opinion is the ECM handles lock/unlock based on speed and throttle position so once you set it right it works rather well. Why not take advantage of the better control logic when the ECM is in the vehicle already?

As for a diagram. Put switched 12V to a brake pedal switch. Run from the other terminal of the brake pedal switch to pin A of the TCC connector. Pin D of the connector goes to the ECM. Internally connect the solenoid between pins A and D.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    No, you don't have to use the ECM. My opinion is the ECM handles lock/unlock based on speed and throttle position so once you set it right it works rather well. Why not take advantage of the better control logic when the ECM is in the vehicle already?

As for a diagram. Put switched 12V to a brake pedal switch. Run from the other terminal of the brake pedal switch to pin A of the TCC connector. Pin D of the connector goes to the ECM. Internally connect the solenoid between pins A and D.
    I agree with you I wanted to use the ECm to control it. However the internal wiring of the trans is not what Howell has set it up for. The internal wireing of the trans by howell is set up for a Type 5 wiring setup according to ATSG and the one I have is a TYPE 1. The internal wiring is completly different. This is why I thought I had no other choice.
    My other option is to rewire the internal wiring to match the Type 5... Any thoughts on that??? It appears that all the pressure switches are the same excpet the 4th clutch SW, on the type 5 it is a single terminal and on the type 1 it is a double terminal. I went to my local Trans shop to see if it could be done, and He is the one that told me to just remove and plug everything and just run the TCC via the solenoid. I mean the whole reason I had Howell Eng wire the ECM was to control control the lock up the way it was design to.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't know how Howell makes their harness but it should have the brake switch and power wiring built into it. So, put the solenoid between terminals A and D inside the transmission and it should work.

Wiring terminal B to a 4th gear pressure switch that grounds terminal B when in 4th gear should work to switch the ECM between the low gear logic (< 4th gear) and the high gear logic (in 4th gear) when the transmission switches into 4th.