Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 700R4 Lockup Control w/ TBI

Fuel Injected!
    So I rewired the internal harness to see how the ECM handles the shitfing etc. I figure that if I do not like it or it does not work, I will change to Buddrow's set up.
    Will not be able to try it out till Friday.
    Will report back then.
    Brad

Fuel Injected!
    So after rewire, it shifts like crap... Now this could be that the Governor is not calibrated right,
    I did find out that the ECM ground is not a ground feed, the ground is provided to the ecm when the pressure switch closes...
    So i think this weekend, I am just going to use the other method for TCC control with a switch.
    Do I still have to ground the Tan wire from the ecm???
    also when I remove the pressure switches ,can I use Brass plugs or do they need to be steel???

Fuel Injected!
    LOL, shifts like crap is really descriptive. Was the TCC locked when it shifted like crap? If it wasn't locked then your problem isn't a fault of the wiring.

Also, what ECM ground are you talking about? Pin B is a 4th gear signal to the ECM and Pin D is switched to ground when the ECM commands the TCC to lock.

Fuel Injected!
    Also, are you data logging or at least monitoring the ECM to ensure everything is working right? Do you know what the TCC setpoints are in the ECM calibration you got?

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, I do not think the TCC locked up, It was spinning around 4K at 35mph and did not want to seam to go any faster... I do not have data loging available.

So the Tan wire D termianl is not a constant grround, That explains why I cannot get a ground signal ,... Thats good to know.. Howell did not even know this...

I tried to load photos from my cumputer to show you the 2 Diagrams ,the orig wire set up and the converted wire sert up, But it kept freezing and would not load.
    If you have acces to ATSG for the 700r4 the orig wire Diagram is TYPE 1 and the one I rewired it to is wire diagram Type 5. Maybe it will not support wire digram 5 ???

Also I disscused Removing the Plug and running the TCC manually and Howell Eng said that It might mess up my VSS signal... What will this effect????

MY VSS signal is coming form the T-Case and going to a Dakota Digital interface to convert the signal to run the 2 pulse reguired to operate the ECM. and the other pulse to operate the Electric speedo.

"Do you know what the TCC setpoints are in the ECM calibration you got?" No I told them I was running an 1986 700R4 4x4 and this is what they sent me.. Howell keeps saying that it is plug and play....
    Last edited by 1v6pony; 02-08-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: text

Fuel Injected!

Photos or ECM

I think I got the photo thing worked out so lets see
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Also, are you data logging or at least monitoring the ECM to ensure everything is working right? Do you know what the TCC setpoints are in the ECM calibration you got?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1v6pony View Post
    I do not have data loging available.

You need to own wrenches, sockets and various tools to work on a car. When you own EFI you need a scantool at minimum, for tuning you need a data logger like TunerPro RT.

Howell keeps saying that it is plug and play....

Have you tried that? What makes you think the TCC is not locking up? Some vehicles it is hard to feel, some people can't feel it when it's obvious.

IIRC the 1986 truck had a ECM and TCC was handled through it along with some fuel adjustments by the CCC carb...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    The first wiring is for non-ECM controlled vehicles and the second is for ECM control. What I told you missed the 4-3 downshift switch but that would just mean the TCC doesn't unlock on 4-3 a downshift. Adding it in would make the downshift softer but not affect normal driving in any other way.

Does the document tell you what CL stands for? I'm thinking that switch from terminal D to ground is temperature based so the TCC stays locked if the transmission is too hot. At any rate, that "4th CL" switch is a ECM bypass that forces lockup in 4th gear regardless of the ECM commanding lockup.

If the transmission isn't upshifting then yes the governor is setup wrong or something else is messed-up in it.

I also would doubt that lockup would occur when using enough throttle to run at 4500rpm.

Howell doesn't sound like they're too useful if they can't tell you the setup data for the TCC.

And Mark is right - a scanner is required to work on stock EFI stuff and logging capability quickly becomes necessary when working on customized EFI stuff. Otherwise, you're relying on guessing and things "just working right".

I'm behind on this thread but looked up a few posts and saw "shifts like crap". Have you adjusted the TV cable?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    As far as data Loging, When a major company tells you it is plug and play you believe them... Also The computer only has a 12 Pin ALDL will a scan tool even work on one of those? Tunning, I hope you do not mean ,changing the info in the ECM... I would not even try that, That is above my head.... That is why I spent 600 on A ECM and complete wire harness from Howell....

"The first wiring is for non-ECM controlled vehicles and the second is for ECM control. What I told you missed the 4-3 downshift switch but that would just mean the TCC doesn't unlock on 4-3 a downshift. Adding it in would make the downshift softer but not affect normal driving in any other way."

The CL on the diagram as far as I know is Clutch switch. The 4-3 Down shift in the diagram, is on the A terminal right before the TCC on second Diagram

Yes I did just try to plug and play, But as you said, The first diagram the ECM does not operate the TCC. So it did not work... The second Diagram Is how I wired it according to the ATSG.
    Thier Are 15 Different wire diagrams for this year trans...

I do have a lot of tools, Welder, Etc... Wife recently lost Job and I can not buy anymore tools right now, Tring to just get it done with what I have.

Again Guys I realy appreciate all the help, as frustrating as it is...

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, Something you said a bout the shifing at 4500 Got me thinking, that the weights in the governor were to light, So I put heaver weights in and it shifted correctly, It is still to high of RPMs at 65 mph 3500. But I will see if i can adjust the weights and springs some more and get it dialed in...
    I think we got it....
    Brad

As far as data Loging, When a major company tells you it is plug and play you believe them... Also The computer only has a 12 Pin ALDL will a scan tool even work on one of those? Tunning, I hope you do not mean ,changing the info in the ECM... I would not even try that, That is above my head.... That is why I spent 600 on A ECM and complete wire harness from Howell....
    You'd think that as long as they have been around and the good reputation they have? That plug and play would be true... But as many of them that I have re-tuned in the last year I can tell you that some are close, none are tuned properly! This is my opinion from data logs as well as the feedback from the vehicle owner who was seeking a good running vehicle.

Yes there are OBDI Scan Tools. Although not as easy to find anymore and the cost of scantool, most people opt for a cable and use their laptop with software like TunerPRo RT. If you have or can borrow a laptop? Then the cost of the scantool is $45 with a cable from Robert. Even less if you build your own and he has a thread on exactly how to do so. Seriously, this is a tool you, as an owner of an EFI vehicle can't live without. Well you can... but the cost of guessing at parts, paying someone else will be much more. Let alone time and frustration from not having the correct tool!

It would take me 5 minutes to know what your shifter position is, if it was in high gear and if TCC was locking up... per ECM commands. This still does not mean the TCC is locked up as it could be what you are chasing with wiring etc...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I'm behind on this thread but looked up a few posts and saw "shifts like crap". Have you adjusted the TV cable?
    Your shifting at 4000-4500 RPM with light throttle? The TV cable adjustment has a lot to do with shifting on the 700R4, including burning up a trans if not correct.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    The TV cable was adjusted right, I used a Pressure gauge and the instructions on Bow Tie Overdrives
    Wow $45 for the needed cord and software that will work with OBD!1.. Can you give me link for that, You are right that would be worth it..
    Side note, Cant I tell if the TCC is working by just driving it in drive and then shifting into 4th and see the RPM drop??

The TV cable was adjusted right, I used a Pressure gauge and the instructions on Bow Tie Overdrives
    Wow $45 for the needed cord and software that will work with OBD!1.. Can you give me link for that, You are right that would be worth it..
    Side note, Cant I tell if the TCC is working by just driving it in drive and then shifting into 4th and see the RPM drop??
    Well not on mine? It locks TCC in third and you can feel it, you can not feel it unlock for the shift to fourth, then feel the TCC lock in fourth.

For cables and software... read man read!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-a-must-read!-)

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...uy-ALDL-Cables!

-= =-