Thread: How different fuel regulators, fuel dampeners and fuel line affect the tuning process

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Interesting bit of info Devind. I had similar questions as to how removing the factory regulator/dampner would effect performance. Thanks for saving me the trouble lol. Great write up! I love this place.

I have a few updates

First off thanks for the commits, this forum and its members have been so helpful to me. It is good to be able to contribute back even if it is just a little bit.

I have really been amazed to learn how a small change affects the tune. I would have never imagined something as small as switching from hard steel line to a rubber fuel hose can effect the tune.

As far as the aftermarket regulator goes, I like having it mounted on the firewall where it can easily be adjusted and using the stock regulator diaphragm as a damper seems to be working really well.

I am currently trying to tune with vacuum reference on the aftermarket fuel regulator connected (As dave w has discussed in other threads)
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ighlight=vrfpr .

At idle it is around 9 psi and at high KPA it goes up to 16 psi. So far it seems to work very well. I will try and post some VE table graphs with data logs of before and after when I get a chance.

The main thing holding me back right is an unrelated issue. I have been running a high volume water pump for several years now. But for some reason when I switched from the TBI heads to Vortec heads the pressure from the water pump would not allow the thermostat to open causing it to overheat. To overcome the problem I switched from a standard thermostat to a 180 deg high volume style T-stat with 3 large bypass holes in it. It worked great in the summer time. But now that it has cooled off it has a hard time maintain 180 deg and takes forever to even get close. I believe the bypass holes are the culprit. So I have ordered another high volume T-stat without the bypass holes hopefully it will cure the problem and I can get back recording some good consistent data to fine tune the VE table with.