Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O2 sensor unplugged voltage readings are still being displayed

Post O2 sensor unplugged voltage readings are still being displayed

I'm in the process of converting my 351w to tbi (gm fuel injection). All sensors are in place, the wiring harness and ECM are installed. Because this is being used in a boat, I am not using:

vss
    egr
    knock
    any transmission related ssensors
    anything related to air conditioning

I've downloaded tuner pro rt and purchased a serial cable. I've started to datalog and noticed something strange. I'm using a wide band o2 sensor to see my afr. The narrow band o2 sensor is unplugged. I am still seeing o2 crosses and voltage readings while data logging. How can this be, there is no o2 sensor information being sent to the ECM, right? I would also assume a error code would of been tripped.

Super Moderator
    you're seeing "stray" voltage happening.

due to the way the O2 sensor A/D channel is setup, there is no pull-up or pull-down resistor connecting the O2 sensor's channel up or down to a known value with it disconnected. so, with no sensor connected, you have a small antenna that will show voltage via induction(i think).

due to the sensor's readings going through an amplifier that multiplies the voltage by a factor of 4.5, even very small changes will show up.

if it bothered you enough, connect the circuit to ground and it will stay at/near 0 volts at all times. i don't think you would need to integrate a resistor, but perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Thanks! I'll ground the black o2 wire and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mmigacz View Post
    Thanks! I'll ground the black o2 wire and see what happens.
    I gounded out the O2 wire and the O2 volts stayed 4.5mV. This agree's with your above statement. Here is my next question:

The wide band o2 sensor is active in the o2 bung. It is not tied into tunerpro.
    The narrow band o2 sensor is laying about 2 feet from from the unplugged o2 socket
    The Narrow band 02 socket is not grounded (my next test)
    Tunerpro is continously recording a O2 voltage of 438mv to 455mv

Is the mV reading coming from the wide band or the narrow band o2 sensor?

Super Moderator
    i'm not understanding the question at all? you're seeing under 4.5mv, but also 438 to 455?

Fuel Injected!
    0.450 volt reading is normal for no sensor and for sensor thats not upto temp.it doesnt matter what its reading as long as you have closed loop turned off

Carb and Points!
    RobertIsaar:

I tried your suggestion of grounding the o2 wire. The datalogger showed 4.5mV. with no fluctuations.

The 438mV to 455mV readings were recorded after I ungrounded the o2 wire. With the above conditions I described.
    Last edited by mamigacz; 11-01-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Super Moderator
    okay.... so something changed to where that circuit is much less susceptible to picking up EMI now. odd.

It's a Ford Motor, converted to GM, in a boat! There's all sorts of things that could go wrong. Look how many GM conversions we've found with EMI RFI do to just that way the wiring is laid out?

Since most boats are wet exhaust... where did you put the O2 sensor or WB? Got any pictures?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    It's a Ford Motor, converted to GM, in a boat! There's all sorts of things that could go wrong. Look how many GM conversions we've found with EMI RFI do to just that way the wiring is laid out?

Since most boats are wet exhaust... where did you put the O2 sensor or WB? Got any pictures?
    manifold 12.jpg

This picture was take before I did the TBI conversion. The sensor bung passes through the water jacket, so there is no contact with water. The O2 sensor shown in picture is not what I am currently using. I'm using a 1 wire set up. I'm considering going to a heated o2. Whether the narrow band sensor is plugged in or not, the voltage stays around 450mV. The only time it changed from 450mV is when I grounded the wire (went to 4.5mV). Based on the feedback from Delcowizzid, I'm guessing it is not getting hot enough to work properly.v Do you agree?
    Last edited by mamigacz; 11-01-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Not sure what you's running in the boat, but Most GM style ECM/PCMs hold the O2 high side at 450 Mv, after O2 starts switching it's generated signal will override the 450 Mv. It's sometimes called bias voltage. Used to detect a open circuit on defective O2. when conditions say it s/b switching. On a setup with O2 heaters you will see voltage at 450 Mv on a cold key on with engine off , then it will go to the 100 Mv range as the heater starts up the O2 in a min or so. That's the O2 overriding the bias voltage. Seeing 450 on a cols O2 is normal, but if heater is working it should move after a while.. l
    I'm Bob 1994 Z28, A4, CAI, Cam, 1.6RR's, LT's, stall, cat-back, TunerCat $EE, TunerPro RT, TTS Datamaster. Also 2007 GMC Envoy mail order tune , 2015 Kia Sorento stock..

Quote Originally Posted by bobdec View Post
    Not sure what you's running in the boat, but Most GM style ECM/PCMs hold the O2 high side at 450 Mv, after O2 starts switching it's generated signal will override the 450 Mv. It's sometimes called bias voltage. Used to detect a open circuit on defective O2. when conditions say it s/b switching. On a setup with O2 heaters you will see voltage at 450 Mv on a cold key on with engine off , then it will go to the 100 Mv range as the heater starts up the O2 in a min or so. That's the O2 overriding the bias voltage. Seeing 450 on a cols O2 is normal, but if heater is working it should move after a while.. l
    I really appreciate the feedback and help. I'm a "tuning virgin". I had an interest in converting my boat to efi for some time. A friend of mine, tunes efi engines at a local dyno. He's helping me out along the way, but I feel bad bothering him all the time with questions and problems. These forums are really helping me with figuring things out myself.

Fuel Injected!
    you could just do away with the o2 all together i do on most setups.its 1 less thing to fail

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post

I know this is an older post, but I am curious about something. Is there a preferred way to lay the wiring out so EMI RFI doesn't cause issues? My ECM is under the council of the boat. The wiring harness is very long (approximately 25 ft). See the attached sketch.

2013-12-15_12-30-03_244.jpg
    1986 ski centurion boat, 351W, gt40P heads, edelbrock performer rpm, 1227747 ecm, 72 lb/hr injectors (@18 PSI fuel pressure), .490/.490 lift, intake 278 duration, exhuast 282 duration, 112 lobe separation

1969 camaro, 355ci, performer RPM intake, camel hump heads, 1227747 ecm, 454 throttle body (@18 PSI fuel pressure),

2016 Chevy Cruz

2014 Chevy Silverado

Two way radio antenna can be an issue in a boat.

Normal EFI wiring issues are which EMI/RFI/Noise are picked up is through spark plug wires, coil and distributor as well as alternator. Keep EFI wires clear of these.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-