Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uphill to school both ways

Administrator

Uphill to school both ways

So, with Winnows and GUIs in almost everything these days, "old fashioned" tools that used typed commands are disappearing faster than Arctic ice. Command prompt based tools are all but forgotten but there are still a few good ones out there. One of the best programs for a GM OBDI tuner to have around is Ludis Langens' Bithoist. I'm currently using it along with a batch file I wrote to automatically identify every .bin from the diy_efi .bin library. Here's an example of the output:

File 'c:\d_drive\bins\unknown\BLCD.BIN'
    Address: 0x8000,0xffff
    CRC: 0x08574b88
    Mask ID: 12b
    ID byte: 0x12
    Sum word: 0x520c
    Sequence: Mar 11, 1994 #202 (02C000CA)
    Scan ID: 5088
    BCC: BLCD (stock)

This gives file size (by the addresses) a calculated CRC checksum based on downloaded data, the correct mask ID, calculated GM checksum, the date sequence if supplied by GM, scan id and BCC. This program has helped me resolve many mystery proms, and has quickly helped me uncover fraudulent "performance" chips over the years. It's also able to output data in multiple formats and to files or other locations to be used by other programs. For the real hardcore guys it can merge the old C3 cal data (what's in the chip) and code (what's on the mask rom) then try to identify the resulting calibration and create an output file to pass to a disassembler.

It's not complete and I've never tried to update or modify it. Later calibrations are more likely to generate an "unknown" than early cals. I simply place files ID'ed as "stock" in my library in a main directory, place files which are identified but not listed as stock in a subdirectory titled "modified," while all unidentified files are placed in a folder titled "unknown." Saves me from starting with a bad or incorrect file when tuning.

I can upload this along with the helper batch file I've created. It's less than 1meg. Where to place it?

Administrator

Re: Uphill to school both ways

Here's an example of a modified file:

File 'c:\d_drive\bins\unknown\abul.bin'
    Address: 0xd000,0xdfff
    CRC: 0xbbf73d49
    Mask ID: 42
    ID byte: 0x42
    Sum word: 0x8969 (should be 0x8f39)
    Scan ID: 7941
    BCC: BDR4376
    BCC: ABUL8235

The checksum does not match OEM which means this is a modified chip. Who knows what's changed, so I probably won't use this for anything but educational purposes.

If I have everything set right you should be able to attach it here! Is it an .exe ? Pretty sure that's already set up in photgallerey too. I really need to reorganize the photogallerey this winter so it's easier to use.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator

Bithoist by Ludis Langens.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Oh Boy! Looks like I am going to have to brush up on Webmaster skills and build some HTML... wait I learned XML... pages! Thanks Shannen!

-= =-

Administrator

This program is designed to run by itself... not as a web interface. Unzip all the files to a directory then switch to the command prompt (start --> run --> CMD) and run the program from there. Switch to the directory where the files are and type bithoist. If you're familiar with running DOS programs this will be old hat. If not then it's not too hard to make it work. The included batch file id_buddy will automatically invoke bithoist for every file in a directory and save the results to a text file. Handy right after downloading a whole bunch of cals or when finding a stash of files on an old hard drive. :)

HMMMM! Dos? I remember learning that and giving up on computers till windows 95.

I'll have to find time to do what you said and try it. Wonder if I could build a webpage to interface with the program on server? That would be optimal! Then we could add bins along the way? If not can you add bins to this?

-= =-

Administrator

I could try contacting Ludis, the guy who wrote it, and see how he did his magic. Ludis has a lot more experience with electronics and computers than I have. He was one of the real pioneers for working out the GM stuff. If it's a big project I don't know if I can commit to it, though.

I spent about an hour trying to make it work on my PC yesterday... FAIL!

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Here's an example of a modified file:

File 'c:\d_drive\bins\unknown\abul.bin'
    Address: 0xd000,0xdfff
    CRC: 0xbbf73d49
    Mask ID: 42
    ID byte: 0x42
    Sum word: 0x8969 (should be 0x8f39)
    Scan ID: 7941
    BCC: BDR4376
    BCC: ABUL8235
    What was the command line you used to get this? Could you post the input file or a link to the file?

I am trying to get bithoist to work on my Mac.

Thanks.

Robert

Suposedly this is a newer issue BitHoist.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

there appears to be a readme file in the zip that contains usage info. I don't see any dos batch files though.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Thanks guys. I guess I'm waiting for someone like 1project2many to post what he did to get the output he showed.

I've compiled an' run the thing, but didn't get the same output as shown above with what I thought was the "same" input.

Robert
    Last edited by historystamp; 01-31-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Administrator
    If your binary file is named BLCD.bin and it's in the same directory as bithoist then bithoist BLCD.bin -id should give the desired output. If you need more help then I'm going to have to learn more about MacOS than I currently know.

FWIW Bithoist was written on an Apple platform. If you only type bithoist the program should return proper command line format and options in a list.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 01-31-2012 at 01:33 AM.

Thanks. I have what I need.

I wanted to eliminate the possibility that I was invoking the command incorrectly. I'm assuming that I am running into the byte order problem:
    "A big-endian machine stores the most significant byte first, and a little-endian machine stores the least significant byte first." Wiki

I cannot find the compiler for the Mac version so I compiled the Unix version. The Unix version seems to "work" but gives the wrong output. Someday, I'll have to see if I can figure out why.

Robert