Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions needed!

Fuel Injected!

good to know

Good to know the tpi rails would work...I spotted a few pcs of aluminum at work/scrap pile and was thinking bore it, thread the ends and mill pockets for injector seals lol.

I assume with the different heads/valve placement the LS would be a poor candidate for a donor rail.....Guess that leaves the TPI as the only oem that will work..

When this finally pans out, I am coming up with a list of OEM donor parts that work. I want to make this easier for others.....

Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    that manifold is a pic off thirdgen.org LOL.you should be able to use tpi rails but you can buy fuel rail extrusion cheap if needed ive bought it as low as $12 a foot from china LOL.or if you have the money all these setups can just be bought off the shelf

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 405cubes View Post
    Good to know the tpi rails would work...I spotted a few pcs of aluminum at work/scrap pile and was thinking bore it, thread the ends and mill pockets for injector seals lol.

I assume with the different heads/valve placement the LS would be a poor candidate for a donor rail.....Guess that leaves the TPI as the only oem that will work..

When this finally pans out, I am coming up with a list of OEM donor parts that work. I want to make this easier for others.....
    The LT1 and marine engines could be pirated of fuel rails.

Your a machinist so maybe an LT1 intake would be a cheap option? It needs a hole for distributor.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/lt1swap.html

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I have an LT1 intake with rails that already has the distributor hole in it. This was for someone elses project that they backed out on. I will sell it CHEAP. PM me if you are interested.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

PM me how much?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

PM Sent.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Fuel Injected!
    I am currently working on fuel injecting an old school 409. I plan to use a 0411 pcm with ls1 programming instead of the vortec 5.7. I was planning on running the vortec 5.7 distributer for the cam signal, an edelbrock intake modified with bungs(really easy to come by for a small block chevy) and some custom pieces for the crank trigger. I have a friend that works in design at a shop with a water jet and laser cutter. I gave him a 24x reluctor off of an ls1 crank and the balancer I plan to run on the 409. He has scanned them both in to computer. The plan is to overlay the reluctor onto the bolt pattern of the balancer and split it into to pieces. The 2 split rings will go together on the balancer and utilize the pulley bolts to hold in place. A custom crank trigger bracket(aka put a piece of metal in brake and bend couple times with some holes drilled) should round it out. Not tested, runout could be an issue, but thats the plan to try. Going to run SD, the rest of the sensors should mount pretty straight forward and remote mount coils. Depending on what you have access to you could do something similar.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 10-20-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Re: ls1 -
    That's actually a good idea. Scoured Craigslist and found a clean setup for 100-
    didnt really know they could be had that cheaply including rails/injectors.

It's from a 97, so it would be sequential fire...
    i would assume the aforementioned 411 ecu is preferred still?

Also found a truck-97 with 4.3. Don't know which PCM, gonna look at it this weekend.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    I am currently working on fuel injecting an old school 409. I plan to use a 0411 pcm with ls1 programming instead of the vortec 5.7. I was planning on running the vortec 5.7 distributer for the cam signal, an edelbrock intake modified with bungs(really easy to come by for a small block chevy) and some custom pieces for the crank trigger. I have a friend that works in design at a shop with a water jet and laser cutter. I gave him a 24x reluctor off of an ls1 crank and the balancer I plan to run on the 409. He has scanned them both in to computer. The plan is to overlay the reluctor onto the bolt pattern of the balancer and split it into to pieces. The 2 split rings will go together on the balancer and utilize the pulley bolts to hold in place. A custom crank trigger bracket(aka put a piece of metal in brake and bend couple times with some holes drilled) should round it out. Not tested, runout could be an issue, but thats the plan to try. Going to run SD, the rest of the sensors should mount pretty straight forward and remote mount coils. Depending on what you have access to you could do something similar.
    Do you plan on running ETC (Vette LS1 calibration) or cable throttle (CAmaro LS1 calibration?

EFIConnection sells tehse for smallblock Chev for $150. I picked 1 up. It uses teh much less expensive Vortec 305/350 crank position sensor.

You could also spend the $20 and buy a 1998 L21 BBC 24x reluctor
    Reluctor - 12552480
    crank sensor - 10456248 You must use this CKP sensor with the relcutor.

Just a couple inexpensive ways to get a 24x signal.

peace
    Hog

Fuel Injected!

96ish

I was thinking mor along the lines of 96-ish truck vortec platform, yank the spider and use flex fuel injectors on the manifold.
    That era distributor/cam sensor is still in old sbc location, don't know yet if stock reluctor will work with large 400 balancer mounting sensor on bracket.
    For a truck- if I'm going the wrong route I'm open to learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    Do you plan on running ETC (Vette LS1 calibration) or cable throttle (CAmaro LS1 calibration?

EFIConnection sells tehse for smallblock Chev for $150. I picked 1 up. It uses teh much less expensive Vortec 305/350 crank position sensor.

You could also spend the $20 and buy a 1998 L21 BBC 24x reluctor
    Reluctor - 12552480
    crank sensor - 10456248 You must use this CKP sensor with the relcutor.

Just a couple inexpensive ways to get a 24x signal.

peace
    Hog

Fuel Injected!
    Oh, OK, then thats just the matter of seeing if the 4x reluctor will fit that 409 crank.

I know that the 427cubic inch W engine(rpo z-11) used a bottom end that was pretty much a match for the Mystery Engine that Chev used for racing.
    If that is true, I would use the 21 reluctor, L21 crank position sensor, 0411 PCM and the Vette or Camro LS1 calibration.

peace
    Hog

Fuel Injected!
    The pieces hog posted is nice stuff. If you used a vortec block the reluctor goes in place quite nicely for the cost of the reluctor. If you used a non-vortec block the extra pieces get rather expensive. I would say run 0411 pcm no matter what. If you get a 24x reluctor you can use ls1 software and have access to more tables. If you use the 4x reluctor you can still run the 2002 express van software and have better control then with any other stock pcm.