Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Requesting a review of some log files.

Fuel Injected!
    And another two runs, one from bowling alley to home and then a little later to work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Next question is that I am some what dumbfounded after looking at the veadjusted1 and veadjusted2 spark table.

If we are adding more spark, why are someof the values in veadjusted2 less than veadjusted1 and others more?
    Last edited by damanx; 10-22-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    And yes, one more question to throw into the mix of questions......

I found this info:

0x019: Maximum spark (2 bytes). This value is the highest
    total advance that can be programmed into the
    distributor. Any Calculated Total SA above this
    value gets clipped to this value.

--- It's purpose is due to the physical limitations of
    the distributor. You can only advance the timing
    so far until you are sparking on the previous
    | cylinder. With eight spark firings per distributor
    | revolution, there are only 45 degrees between each
    | set of plug wire terminals on the cap. GM uses the
    | value of 42 degrees as the maximum advance. This
    | always a safety margin to direct the spark to the
    | proper terminal.
    cite: http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/papers/747spark.txt

Since I am using a bin that was initially written for a V8, (and I have not checked to see of the above listed value), is this "42 degree" number a potential value that should be looked at since the engine that this bin is controlling a 60 degree V6?

Edited to add:

Just looked at the "veadjusted2.bin" file that I am running, it's Maximum spark is set to 41.84 while the V6 bins I looked at are set to 54.14 degrees.

Don't know if this affects my issues or not.
    Last edited by damanx; 10-22-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: updated post about max spark.

Quote Originally Posted by damanx View Post
    Next question is that I am some what dumbfounded after looking at the veadjusted1 and veadjusted2 spark table.

If we are adding more spark, why are someof the values in veadjusted2 less than veadjusted1 and others more?
    I just added 1 degree to an area to give you an idea how to start. But I also smoothed the table so it may have raised or lowered the 1 degree.

Quote Originally Posted by damanx View Post
    Just looked at the "veadjusted2.bin" file that I am running, it's Maximum spark is set to 41.84 while the V6 bins I looked at are set to 54.14 degrees.
    SInce your no where near this max it's not affecting anything. But yes, it should be changed to V4 max setting.

Did you ever get a 3.4L bin and mask to look at? It probably won't match up exactly to $42 tables but you can use this as a starting point for a new spark advance table. Open your bin and $42 mask in TunerPRo RT. Then go to Tools, Custom Tools and Open New TunerPro Instance.. so you have two TunerPros open. In the new one open the 3.4L bin and mask. In both open Spark advance tables. Start building the 3.4l spark into the $42 bin.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    It took me a little to figure out what ECM could have been running this engine, and there is info for it, but no bins listed in this thread in the GM ECM/BIN forum:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rmation-P66-V6

Not sure where to look for a bin for that.

oh, the engine is from a 93 firebird.

Robert probably has something?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    As a matter of fact, Robert has sent me some info.

It appears, based on the spark tables for the 2.8's and the 3.4's, that they like to be in the 40 degree range at the rpm/map values we are looking at in this thread.

Man is your mileage going to go up! Now be careful with bias and adders to make sure your comparing apples to apples!

Once you get that dialed in and then do the lean cruise you could be closer to 30!

Don't try lean cruise until the new spark table is in, because then your VE is going to change and need adjustment.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Well, since I am a just getting back into this since about 6 months ago when I first started with it, I will be comparing everything I can and printing everything out. I certainly don't want to be haphazardly changing anything without making sure I understand everything first, AND, asking opinions.

ETA: Bin with 3.4 table added with a data log.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by damanx; 10-29-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Minor update.

So I've been scouring the net reading as much as I can trying to understand what all the tables do and how they act.

One thing that was pointed out by Robert was that the spark latency table that I was using did not match what I should have been using, so that was changed.

Overall, right now, I am making minor tweaks to the spark table and logging to see if I can get better gas mileage while maintaining some performance.

It's a slow process, and I have failed at doing something that I should have been doing better job of, and that is keeping a running data sheet of the specific changes that I make. Got a laptop, tunerpro, and the ability to pretty much tweak anything and everything in the PROM, yet I could not keep a simple log of changes in a simple text file.........

Mark, you asked about the value of the spark advance and it being real time, or at least I think that is what you meant, in any case, I was curious to know if the spark shown in tunerpro actually displayed real time, so I connected my timing analyzer to the engine and as seen in the video below, it almost matches, but I think tunerpro might be lagging in relation to the analyzer.

Super Moderator
    considering the update speed of a 160 baud stream, there probably is going to be a noticable lag compared to a standalone unit.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    I like that analyzer because it shows both RPM and timing at the same time. I do have an analog that shows only rpm or timing that is quicker to respond to changes, but can't see it in the dark though.

Fuel Injected!
    One of the things I noticed when I changed the Spark latency table to match the 2.8 table, for the distributor, was that all of a sudden, it seemed like the starter did not want to turn the engine, but then I realized that it had to be something with the spark, so I changed the spark table in the 400/600 rpm row to what they are in the V2a bin listed earlier. Engine now starts immediately.

Next issue is that I am having knocks in the 40-60, 1200-1400 range prior to normal operating temp. I reduced the spark timing in the table about -.35 and the amount of knocks dropped. As of the last log, I had a total of 16 knocks. Looks like the spark advance coolant comp table is the culprit for this.

Next thing, having looked more into the bin, I see the "spark startup" and decay tables. I wonder if these will need to be tweaked.

UGH..........

Makes me wonder if it'd be easier to go back to a 2.8 bin and tweak that than to keep tweaking a v8 bin that I am using now.....

Super Moderator
    now you see the pain of converting between two fairly similar masks... i've done it 19 times for nAst1 and i still have more to go.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    now you see the pain of converting between two fairly similar masks... i've done it 19 times for nAst1 and i still have more to go.
    Want to make that an even 20?

LOL

I'll get it. Going to take some time to learn. I just have to be patient.