Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Fuel Injection/ Affordable FI hard starting cold and restart ...

Electronic Ignition!

1st Fuel Injection/ Affordable FI hard starting cold and restart ...

SBC 355 CID , mild cam, Edelbrock heads, 10.5:1 comp. it has 1st Fuel Injection manifold, and Affordable FI injectors, harness & ECM. AFI distributor. All parts as new, a few hours running.
    Its in a Jeep rockcrawler , full gauges, 18-20 lbs vacuum at idle, very responsive / snappy throttle, 14 volts, 40 psi fuel pressure- 32 or so at idle with vacuum regulator, Aeromotive "700" HP pump, 11106 - A750 FUEL PUMP (RED), 13109 - A1000-6 INJECTED BYPASS REGULATOR. It's a full return system. Pump runs but never "dead heads", pumps noisy, good fuel psi..
    Race car style switches, separate circuits for fuel pump, ignition, etc...

The problem is, cold crank takes along time to start. Starts best with short bursts when cold, no throttle, takes 4/5/6 times to start cold.
    When run to temp and driven, cools down after about 15-30 minutes , takes along time to start, cranks and cranks, starts, no throttle response, won't rev, stalls. Once it's works through this phase runs great.
    New plugs, New to TPI and just joined this forum

Sounds like a cool crawler!

TPI fuel system should be 43.5 PSI at idle.

Without a ECM number, your bin file and a datalog there's not much we can help with.

If you paid AFI for the ECM and chip you should be talking to them to fix it! We will help if your wanting to learn tuning.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Any general things to check? I bought this crawler semi finished, just getting the bugs worked out.
    AFI Chip file 57FI9058.
    SERV NO 1227730
    866901 M821200888
    Last edited by Jeep09; 10-15-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    [QUOTE=EagleMark;30355]

Sounds like a cool crawler!

TPI fuel system should be 43.5 PSI at idle.

The AFI manual says 40 psi without vacuum hooked up to the regulator

Pretty sure the GM manual says 43.5?

With it running good when warm it's probably a tune issue and not mechanical. There doesn't seem to be anything stock about the engine, lots of work to get a good tune. Then if all the data looks good you work on the issues like cold start and warm start, these are common.

The AFI bin number won't help as we don't have the bin file. The only way we could look at it is for you to read it.

Have you tried calling them to see if they will update the chip? Long ago they used to be very helpful... not sure about today?

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi, I have just got my Moates cables and started data logging using the TTS program. Since my OP #01 I have:

- new regulator in alternator and confirmed 14.5 volts
    -New CTS sender ( did help)
    - New MAP sensor
    -ohm metered fuel injectors , 13 ohms - Ford / Bosch BOSCH: 0 280 158 138
    -confirmed TPS is good, data logged at .57
    -new fuel delivery system, RCI 2191 tank, 4 Walbro pickups, Walbro 255 lph pump, Fragola 100 micron filter 8 AN lines in out, tight no leeks
    - Aeromotive fp reg set for 39 lbs at idle/running

The Data files are not driving, my Jeep is not streetable so it is in my yard while this is going on. being a rock crawler style Jeep the low end is important
    same symptoms, hard starting, hot restart after sitting 10-30 minutes runs like crap. See my attached file. "Rough Run"

Help please, ? ECM or distibutor?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just throwing out an idea here for you, I also used AFI for my TBI swap on a 350H.O. While it never ran right from their tuning, they did offer a lot of help and tuned probably 8 chips for me before they said no more. They wanted data logs to adjust the tune, maybe offer your logs to AFI and see if they'd be willing to help out. Granted they never got mine smoothed out, which is why I broke down and took the tuning plunge myself. I'd at least try contacting them to find out if they have any incite. If not, the guys here are extremely helpful and will help when they can!! Best of luck

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokcrawlin85 View Post
    Just throwing out an idea here for you, I also used AFI for my TBI swap on a 350H.O. While it never ran right from their tuning, they did offer a lot of help and tuned probably 8 chips for me before they said no more. They wanted data logs to adjust the tune, maybe offer your logs to AFI and see if they'd be willing to help out. Granted they never got mine smoothed out, which is why I broke down and took the tuning plunge myself. I'd at least try contacting them to find out if they have any incite. If not, the guys here are extremely helpful and will help when they can!! Best of luck
    thanks, I did minorly pick there brain. I did not buy direct as this was purchased as an unfinished project that was a couple years old. I got Tuned Port Injection Services to do a PROM for me based on my actual application. I sent him my data logs today but he could not pinpoint my issue. It is a bugger

I assume this is $8D? I don't have $8d but if you have the $8D file I can add it to my Datamaster.

The downloads on DataMaster are not working.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I do,I will look for them

Electronic Ignition!
    Here is the drop box link and download https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6a4pwas2warpsi3/FdITwonvfO

Fuel Injected!
    Is there any improvement if you cycle the pump a few times before cranking the engine?

IIRC there was 2 different specs for TPI fuel pressure 1 for the 350 with 22 lb/hr injectors and another for the 305 with it's 19 lb/hr units.

Is your FPR vacuum refernced?

peace
    Hog

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    Is there any improvement if you cycle the pump a few times before cranking the engine?

IIRC there was 2 different specs for TPI fuel pressure 1 for the 350 with 22 lb/hr injectors and another for the 305 with it's 19 lb/hr units.

Is your FPR vacuum refernced?

peace
    Hog
    the pump is totally manual, race car style dash, FP gauge with vacuum, turn the switch on and it loads the rails, you can hear it dump fuel into the tank.

But there's usually a wired referece from power to fuel pump back to ECM so it knows it's on, it's needed. Do you have that?

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    But there's usually a wired referece from power to fuel pump back to ECM so it knows it's on, it's needed. Do you have that?
    Not sure. If it was in the Affordable FI or the Painless harness it should have been hooked up. I will look into it