Thread: TBI highway cruise mode?

Fuel Injected!
    Wi Where the men are men and the women are too!

TBI highway cruise mode?

Hello eagleMark I'd like to thank you for posting up how to initiate the lean cruise mode on the 7747 ecu. I have had TBI on my 304 v8 scout motor for 3 years now and want to try this for more mileage. I have spent over 5 hours and have hit a road block so I need help.

-I have both a windows vista service pack 2 laptop and a Windows xp service pack 3 desktop both computers are giving me the same message in the command prompt screen (black box) I am not great with computers so this could be something easy to fix....

-They both give me this message= (Can't open output file: 60227) This is my bin file from my 7747 ecm it seems neither computers can open this file. However I can open it with Tunercat so I am lost or stuck. This is what the command looks like that I type in:
    S19_Pat_.exe HIWAY747.S19 0xD000 602227 HiWay.bin

-I have accounted for all caps spaces etc. and had many mistakes. Once I got it typed in correctly with both computers they both came up with the same message so I hope that helps!!!!

Thanks,
    Brandon

That's kind of outdated as there is a patch in the new $42 XDF for TunerPro RT.
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the reply Mark! I am fairly computer illiterate but I don't see how the new patch fixes my issue of my computers giving me this message (Can't open output file: 60227) everytime I try to run this commmand
    S19_Pat_.exe HIWAY747.S19 0xD000 602227 HiWay.bin
    I need more guidance on this issue. I have searched all over the internet and come up with nothing useful... So if possible I will need a little advice... On how to proceed.

Thanks for the help!
    Brandon

Use the TunerPro XDF I posted above, open your .bin and go to the Patch Folder and apply the lean cruise patch to your bin. Save bin and burn new chip.

There's no reason to use the old method your trying.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Mark I downloaded Tuner Pro and was able to add my bin and then your xdf. file. It all looks good and then when I hit (patch bin) all I can get is a Patch failed box. Not sure what I am doing wrong or what else to try. I have searched all over your site and the net but I am still hitting a wall. Here is what my bin looks like if that helps.... 602227 HiWay.bin

Thanks for your help!

Brandon

Your bin did not attach?

Try to attach again, use the stock bin or one that has not been patched. Or what BCC? I may have it to test.

Under the reply box is Go Advanced, under that is attachment manager which may be easier to work with.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Mark, if I have time tonight I will try again on the bin and let you know if it works. In the mean time I have a general question for you when tuning for best mileage at cruise/

-is it best to look for the lowest MAP and TPS values while advancing timing or can this also be done using a vacuum gauge while looking for the highest vacuum at cruise. I have a feeling the TPS and MAP is going to be more accurate way of doing this and using a vacuum gauge is more the old school way?

-In the past I was advancing timing until seeing knock counts and then reducing them a few degrees until I don't get any knocks. Then taking a mileage trip to verify MPG's. It would be nice to know as I am tuning if I have hit the sweet spot. I was hoping you could verify the best way.

Thanks,
    Brandon

You've got the right idea! Lower TPS and a higher MAP is accurate and will produce best mileage. When using the Highway Lean Cruise you can add your timing there to compensate for the leaner AFR mixture when HLC is enabled.

Whenever really pushing the bounds of timing to knock and reducing 4 degrees from that point, if your that close a good thing to have enabled in the bin is "Burst Knock" it's an anticipated knock to help stop knock if you accelerate when already maxed out on timing.

The Highway Lean Cruise can actually not increase mileage in some vehicles! Take my 90 Suburban 2wd stock with 3:73 gears and 235/75-r15 tires, it is under very little load at highway speeds so works well. Take same vehicle with 2;73 gears and not good... or same vehicle in 4x4 and 35 inch tires with stock gearing, it won't help either. To much load on engine at highway speeds.

Now in a TBI caprice or camaro you loose all the wind drag and it works even better!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Mark, good news I believe! I got the patch to work by using the patches under the parameter tree. When I first compared the my old bin to new it was 55bytes different. A few questions for now!

1.Then after saving it under a new name with "save as" it changed to 57bytes different when comparing the new bin the original. ** I am assuming this is o.k.??

2. Also I am familiar with tunercat and winaldi so you will have to bear with me on a few of these questions. I plan on using the Dash in winaldi to follow my TPS while driving to look for improvements/ but is the KPA readout in Winaldi for MAP?

3. As far as I understand it once all the parameters are met including engine temp/ Highway MPH/ and Map the computer will go into open loop mode for HLC.Correct?

4. Now at this point what happens to my spark tune. In other words what does the computer use in open loop at cruise for timing curve? Does it simply stay were it left off last in closed loop? I realize there is the "highway lean cruise spark adder table" to adjust it in open loop I am just wondering how far off it will be or where to look to see these variables related to closed loop? I am used to simply tuning timing curve in tunercat on the main spark table and *have already bumped up the timing there for cruising without HLC.* So I guess I am wondering if it will stay bumped up once it goes into HLC?

5. Any good links on HLC tuning would be greatly appreciated to help further my knowledge,I have been reading for days now and don't want to assume anything and screw something up!!

This is awesome!!!
    Brandon