Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated: 7060 $85 intermittant problem w/log and datastream glitch. Please look!

Fuel Injected!

Frustrated: 7060 $85 intermittant problem w/log and datastream glitch. Please look!

Since I've started tuning this 93 K3500 7.4l 4l80e with the 7060 PCM I have had nothing but problems. Either it's my stupidity, or I have some bad luck.

I've replaced every part except for the wiring harness. And have rewired SOME of the wiring. Please help me.

I have two problems.....which could be related....but the main problem is a random check engine light with the engine going into limp mode (I believe). I can be driving down the highway and see the light blink for a second, wideband freaks out....the truck falls on it's face and then it's all over and runs like a top. just like that.
    ....Or at a stoplight....check engine light comes on...truck will die/stall out and i have to restart it. Then it runs like a raped ape. There's no rhym or reason.

I'll offer a $100 paypal reward if you fix this truck via the net.

I have a Moates G3 adapter with the EX switch. I've tried various chips....29F040 and 27F512's. (seems to do it worse with the new 29F040?) I'm almost thinking it's a hardware problem at this point. I think I'm going to put the stock memcal back in and drive it for awhile to see if it does it's funny business.

Mark has noted a datastream glitch during a previous review of one of my logs. (hot hesitation, I think it's this exact problem tied in) and a code 51. So I replaced the PCM and the datastream glitch is still there.

Here's the log and the files I'm using. I think one problem I'm having is the $85 isn't as developed as others.

To pinpoint the log down faster, pull up "engine runtime" as a "value" in the dash monitor.
    Go to an "engine runtime" of 274 seconds. This was the longest it's ever acted up....about 6 seconds till 280 on the "engine runtime". In this example you'll see the rpms were about 1600 and then the truck nearly shuts off. RPMS all over the place. Fuel gets pulled out. Datastream glitches with various "errors" in the item list. error codes 15, 21, 39, 42, 43, 45, 51, 54, 59 get thrown at random times then turn off..

If you do a "frame by frame" "Shift + ]" key. The SECOND "engine runtime" LOG of 33 seconds you can see the datastream glitch. All the numbers in the log go weird? WTF?

Then it also freaks out again at 350 seconds. Sitting an an idle, check engine light flashed, RPM's dropped and then it was all normal. Didn't die/stall......just freaked out!

Take a look......

In need of some major help. I'm about to give up and tap out.

Ryan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have you tried a different ECM?

I have a friend that between his car and his GF's car, he had two '7060s (conversions) running without the issues you are describing.

One of the first things that comes to mind is a poor ground, either to engine or the chassis, that is causing a ground potential shift and the PCM can't deal with it, but this is difficult to diagnose without having hands on the vehicle in question. Something else to check is the alternator, not just that it is supplying current, but that the output is as smooth as an alternator should be, to be more correct that vehicle voltage is smooth. A ripple on the voltage can be caused by a bad diode in teh alternator, and/or a weak battery, and this ripple, if it's large enough can cause the PCM to have issues.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I have a Moates G3 adapter with the EX switch.
    Put in a G1 adapter and chip!

Did the issue start with these parts?

May have time to look at your log tomorrow...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Have you tried a different ECM?

I have a friend that between his car and his GF's car, he had two '7060s (conversions) running without the issues you are describing.

One of the first things that comes to mind is a poor ground, either to engine or the chassis, that is causing a ground potential shift and the PCM can't deal with it, but this is difficult to diagnose without having hands on the vehicle in question. Something else to check is the alternator, not just that it is supplying current, but that the output is as smooth as an alternator should be, to be more correct that vehicle voltage is smooth. A ripple on the voltage can be caused by a bad diode in teh alternator, and/or a weak battery, and this ripple, if it's large enough can cause the PCM to have issues.
    The PCM is a reman from Autozone a few months ago. I put it in after Mark and I had a conversation in one of my other 7060 threads. $99 and they had it in stock :wow:

I know the grounds are good. I've put a dual battery setup in the truck with all new battery cables (welding wire). So atleast I know the battery to frame, battery to block and battery to chassis grounds are good. I have not started checking grounds at the PCM yet.

Is the PCM case supposed to be grounded?

Alternator is a reman. it has been on there awhile. Honestly, elk hunting is a few weeks away. I'm not opposed to just changing the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post

Thanks for the look Mark....

I would use a G1 but I'd really like to have the select-ability of the G3 with the different maps.
    I never had this issue with the stock memcal....
    however, it took awhile AFTER I started tuning that this problem showed up. So I'm not sure if its related or not. it used to do it only when HOT and towing. Now it's even more often.

I'll do whatever it takes.

[/URL]
    Last edited by chevmasta; 10-11-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Just got my wideband installed this week to revisit the WOT and Pump shot AFR.

Do NOT ground the PCM case, that will (in most cases) cause problems.

The case is grounded through the harness and internal circuit board, but it needs to be isolated from the chassis directly to help shield from radiated noise.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Do NOT ground the PCM case, that will (in most cases) cause problems.

The case is grounded through the harness and internal circuit board, but it needs to be isolated from the chassis directly to help shield from radiated noise.
    Gotcha. I believe I read that somewhere in my Tbi tuning searching.

Imma pick up an alternator tomorrow and get it installed next week. Off to elk camp tomorrow to check my cameras and do a lil fireball drinking :)
    Honestly, the alternator is about the only thing I haven't replaced. Every other sensor, secondary ignition, fuel system, PCM, even dist harness and coil connectors have been replaced.

Good thing these trucks are cheap. Over the last year or two I've been using this problem as an excuse just to replace stuff. Which is a fun hobby bur now I'm getting frustrated. And I used to be a Senior Master Ford tech.....so I'm very comfortable with driveability concerns and working on vehicles but this one has me stumped since it's so intermittent. But I do have logs!

I don't have these problems in my truck with the G1, and believe me, I've put in a ton of tuning time trying to fix something that I later learned was a mechanical issue. I also have an autozone reman PCM.

I say, get a G1 and use the autoprom setup with it to see if you have the same issue. JMO.
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

You've got a ton of data glitches throughout that log! Having one once in awhile I have seen in $85 and even happens in $0D. But when you can tie a data glitch to a running issue? It's not just data glitch, it's a real glitch...

In some of those data glitches logged when watching in Monitors you actually loose the data stream and it comes back.

To rule out some hardware I'd run the stock prom... you've even said
    I never had this issue with the stock memcal....

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I'm going to rip all the G3 stuff out and put the BANC memcal back in. (as much as I don't want to. there's a 70 second PE delay) :(

I have a 150 mile road trip this weekend and I'll do some datalogging and see how it runs without the aftermarket stuff in the PCM and I'll report back.

What else would cause those glitches and it losing the datastream? I would not think a loose wire like a power wire to the PCM would be the cause? It seems to me that with the glitch it will quickly go into limp mode...then back out of it.

I don't know.

SUre could be a loose wire! But it's more then your data stream!
    I have two problems.....which could be related....but the main problem is a random check engine light with the engine going into limp mode (I believe). I can be driving down the highway and see the light blink for a second, wideband freaks out....the truck falls on it's face and then it's all over and runs like a top. just like that.
    ....Or at a stoplight....check engine light comes on...truck will die/stall out and i have to restart it. Then it runs like a raped ape. There's no rhym or reason.
    Your loosing everything and going LHM too. This and it started after G3 hardware install seems to lead to ? LHM is hard to get to! Mostly it is failure of chip/Memcal or in this case G3.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!

Your loosing everything and going LHM too. This and it started after G3 hardware install seems to lead to ? LHM is hard to get to! Mostly it is failure of chip/Memcal or in this case G3.
    I still have the memcal and "towmaster" chip from TBichips.

I could dial back the base timing about 17* and use that chip.

Fuel Injected!
    So I took the G3 out and put the stock BANC memcal back in and drove it this weekend. Mostly highway.....about 150 miles round trip.

It didn't hickup once. Ran like the stock truck.....pretty gutless..........the check engine light did finally come on because my vacuum lines to the egr valve arent hooked up. I deleted egr in my programming.
    it's funny that even with the egr not working and the SA EGR add map, the truck still wont detonate driving normally. The BANC map just doesn't have any real timing added to the map. No wonder these trucks last so long.

I didn't do any datalogging which i need to do. I'll try that this weekend. I just want to see if there's still any datastream errors (I think there will be based off my memory a long time ago).

I'll contact Moates and see what they say. I'm still not 100% convinced its the G3 or that hardware specifically.

I have to haul 5k+ lbs in the bed in 2 weeks plus tow a jeep to elk camp. It sure would have been nice to have my programming vs the OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by chevmasta View Post
    I'll offer a $100 paypal reward if you fix this truck via the net.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by chevmasta View Post
    So I took the G3 out and put the stock BANC memcal back in and drove it this weekend. Mostly highway.....about 150 miles round trip.

It didn't hickup once.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I'm good on my word.....

....IF that's the problem.