Thread: Best Cable for 1227165?

Fuel Injected!

Best Cable for 1227165?

I am having a very hard time connecting to my ECM with this cable. It has worked for me in the past, but it is extremely troublesome. One time it will connect and then it doesn't. What is the best cable for my 1227165 ('89 F-Body); one that you can simply plug in and it will read/stream the data in tunerproRT.

Super Moderator
    the 7165, or at least the TPI code that runs on it, is troublesome in and of itself when it comes to ALDL comms.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    So, there is really nothing I can do?
    Last edited by BurgerWorld; 10-21-2013 at 09:48 AM.

No, it's not a cable issue, but a code issue. I have tested other code that runs on the '7165 and it does not experience the issues that $32/$32B/$6E experience. It is not MAF code though.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    So, I need a replacement chip for my APYU code? I have seen some aftermarket chips that fit into this slot, but have a reprogrammable piggyback. Is this what I should be considering to resolve my connectivity issue? I would prefer to keep my original .bin/chip in tact.

I keep wondering if there is a magic sequence to getting a stream....at least the issue is not me this time.
    Last edited by BurgerWorld; 10-21-2013 at 11:52 PM.

No, there is nothing that can be done about it currently.

I have thought about what was done with $58 to get more reliable comms and just plainly work with an Autoprom. Some of the diagnostic code has been modified by people much smarter than I to get it to work. It was released as a patch, and can be applied to a bin manual through the use of a HEX editor. I am wondering if a similar patch could be written for the $32/$32B/$6E bins to have more reliable comms.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, who can we get to write a patch?...I will PM them! who is it? where is he at? gotta have comms! where is he at?

What about the code on one of those hypertech chips? Must be something we can do.....
    Last edited by BurgerWorld; 10-23-2013 at 07:17 AM.

No idea, the $58 patch was written years ago and because of that it took me a lot of seraching to find it once I found mention of it, and even then I could only find the raw HEX and not the assembler that was suggested be used.

I'm hoping to be able to be at that point in a couple years.

The Hypertech chips would have the same comm code as stock.

Fuel Injected!
    What did they do to the $58 code to make it work or improve it? Do we have any idea who fixed that code? Maybe we can track that person down?

Do those era correct Snap-on diag tools have the same comms problems?

I don't know what is changed in the code, since it's all in HEX. I do understand HEX code, at least the conversion to and from binary and to and from decimal, but I don't know what it changes in the context of the overall code.

I don't recall who wrote it, but it was someone that I don't recognize as being part of the current DIY tuning community.

I keep meaning to try my scanner on the '7165 but just haven't found time to do so.

Fuel Injected!
    What scanner do you have?

I have an OTC Monitor 4000.

There's a few more cartridges I'd like to find though.

It's very similar to this one:

Fuel Injected!
    If you get a chance to hook it up to a '7165 please let me know. I really want some live data from this car. This cable is just not working out for me.

Well, I don't know $58 code at all, but I took a quick look at it (2hrs) and in order to make any sense out of it I would need a patched and unpatched bin. It appears that the author of the patch changed 2 jsr's to a different location which appears to be in the middle of an instruction. That makes no sense and shouldn't work. With a patched and unpatched bin, I could probably figure it out a little better, but there is almost no comments in the HAC making it difficult to know what is happening.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Well, I don't know $58 code at all, but I took a quick look at it (2hrs) and in order to make any sense out of it I would need a patched and unpatched bin. It appears that the author of the patch changed 2 jsr's to a different location which appears to be in the middle of an instruction. That makes no sense and shouldn't work. With a patched and unpatched bin, I could probably figure it out a little better, but there is almost no comments in the HAC making it difficult to know what is happening.

Do you have all of the equipment or are you willing to acquire it if we can get you the patched $58? Sorry, Jim I am relatively new here and just trying to get this going if we can. I think this is a worthy task as a lot of people with this could use better comms for these cars. Certainly needs fixed; applies to Corvettes and F-bodies and TPI-cars of an era.
    Last edited by BurgerWorld; 10-23-2013 at 06:47 PM.