Thread: An offer...

Administrator

An offer...

Once upon a time I wrote some software for the GMECM list members that would run from a web interface to allow you to lookup a GM BCC code. It would return relevant information such as the year, make, model, engine, ecm#, trans type, and more. It was a handy application and it actually started getting so many hits that it was threatening to crash the server it was on. Long story short, I killed it to due to abuse. I've offered to work with a couple of site owners over the years to get it back up but there really wasn't any interest, so it's still "resting." I'm wondering if there's interest here. Here's the data it would output for the BCC BJYK:

/BJYK/

***Found!!!
    BCC year is 1995

BCC= BJYK0096 Scan id= 0335 Part number= 16200094
    Release date= 12/22/93 Engine size= 5.7 Trans Type= Auto trans
    ECM/PCM: PCM #16197427
    Used in trucks: GMC
    Possibly used in:
    C1500,2WD,1/2 TON C1500,2WD,1/2 TON C2500,2WD,3/4 TON
    C2500,2WD,3/4 TON K1500,4WD,1/2 TON K1500,4WD,1/2 TON
    K2500,4WD,3/4 TON K2500,4WD,3/4 TON

Options:
    With GU4 AXLE, REAR, 3.08 RATIO
    With GU6 AXLE, REAR, 3.42 RATIO
    With L05 5.7L GAS 8 CYL (5.7K) V8 TBI
    With M30 TRANSMISSION, AUTOMATIC 4 SPEED 4L60E ELECTRONIC
    With NA5 FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS
    Without NM8 EMISSION SYSTEM, LEADED FUEL

Re: An offer...

Yup! That is exactly the kind of stuff I would love to see here. This site server has no limits on traffic and downloads! It is triple back up. I lost everything once do to a cup of coffee through my laptop keyboard.

I will have tons of time to get this loaded and ready in about a month! When winter hits I do more computer work. Right now I am trying to get maintenence done on my home, I may have 4 weeks to finish painting and deck staining etc...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

So what's different between that and this?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator

I will have tons of time to get this loaded and ready in about a month! When winter hits I do more computer work. Right now I am trying to get maintenence done on my home, I may have 4 weeks to finish painting and deck staining etc...
    I have a very long list of summer projects and I've gotten used to not finishing everything. I have about 3 cord of wood left to cut, split, and stack and that's a priority right now. I should be sleeping because I'm heading out to get another truckload at 7 tomorrow morning.

I can't seem to find the files that were used with the web version of the program. I *believe* I used CGI to make it interactive but it's been over 10 years since I wrote it and the web version has been down for 9.

So what's different between that and this?
    Formatting.
    Readability.
    Common trans name vs GM option code.
    Julian date coding converted to common date
    Calibrations used across multiple years are clearly displayed as such (try BFUZ).
    Platform displayed by common name rather than GM body code.
    All listed gear ratios are displayed.
    Doesn't list wrong trans type if cal is not associated with specific trans. (BFMY is not a manual trans calibration)
    All GM Option codes associated with a cal are listed, as well as GM descriptions for that option code.
    -->Doesn't list calibration size
    -->Doesn't list mask ID

I actually have a version that will let you do reverse searches but that one was never made web accessible.

Hmm, so it wouldn't really help me much, since I'm used to GM code of components...

If you know how to use excel, it's easy to do a "reverse search" for items.

Might be useful for other people though I guess, why not just upload it somewhere and let people use it?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I have also found 2 mistakes in the Moates BCC lookup already. So there may be more...

.CGI still works fine on the servers. I think it never changed as everything went .asp or .php

I would still like to see it up and going again. Winter is coming again and I need a few projects. Of course like everything here you will get proper credits!

In this day and age I think it would be a welcome option.

-= =-

Administrator

Hmm, so it wouldn't really help me much, since I'm used to GM code of components...

Can you use the spreadsheet to find a California certified calibration for a 1988 1 ton truck with a 350? How about if the truck has 4.56 gears vs 4.10? How about a police package calibration? How about a leaded fuel calibration for the 7427? For a Vette? For for any vehicle? How about an easy one... find a cal for a 6 speed equipped Vette from 1990. That spreadsheet is missing some info and is flat out wrong about other stuff.

Might be useful for other people though I guess, why not just upload it somewhere and let people use it?
    The standalone versions are currently console apps and sometimes use batch files. They don't play nice with newer versions of Windows. I'm talking about a web accessible version which would allow anyone with net access to look up BCCs.

I have also found 2 mistakes in the Moates BCC lookup already. So there may be more...
    Well, ARFP is listed incorrectly. But there are some mistakes in this program, too. That's because there were mistakes in the GM database this was built from. For instance, I'm looking at cals listed for a Pontiac Bonneville with a 10,000 lb GVW right now. Seems strange but sometimes it turns out that stuff like this isn't a mistake, just code for "special limo" or "armored vehicle" or another unusual application. I have made updates when correct, confirmed information has been available. The spreadsheet, however, doesn't even list everything available from GM.

.CGI still works fine on the servers. I think it never changed as everything went .asp or .php

I would still like to see it up and going again. Winter is coming again and I need a few projects. Of course like everything here you will get proper credits!
    Maybe we can talk a bit more when winter gets closer. I usually like to do a coding project or two during the winter. If I can't find the web version of BCCFind then I'd need to set it up again which might require access to a server somewhere.

I can set up acess to sever. Planned on building webpages for everyone too! I really hope this joint effort to preserve and provide EFI information continues!

Back to yard work, gutter work, gutter seal, roof edge and some caluking..... weather is good in North Idaho!

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many

Can you use the spreadsheet to find a California certified calibration for a 1988 1 ton truck with a 350? How about if the truck has 4.56 gears vs 4.10? How about a police package calibration? How about a leaded fuel calibration for the 7427? For a Vette? For for any vehicle? How about an easy one... find a cal for a 6 speed equipped Vette from 1990. That spreadsheet is missing some info and is flat out wrong about other stuff.

I guess I'm never looking for anything that specific...

For myself, I just look up ECM, and engine size and tranny type, then verify everything in Tuner Pro when I find that or those bins.

Or I just look up the BCC, and see what the it says it's from.

[quote:1e00yrlg]Might be useful for other people though I guess, why not just upload it somewhere and let people use it?
    The standalone versions are currently console apps and sometimes use batch files. They don't play nice with newer versions of Windows. I'm talking about a web accessible version which would allow anyone with net access to look up BCCs.[/quote:1e00yrlg]

Now that you brought it up, a stand alone version would be better for some people, not everyone is plugged into the intarweeb when they want to look up certain info. ;)

would love too see this, I have been using tunercats caldata for years it's wrong in places as well. I have tons of 85-92 tuned port bins that I have verified myself. would be awesome to do a search and .bin download

We were talking to day of what to do with all the bins, defs and wiring diagrams in the photogallerey because it's just a mess. If this program works the question would be could it find the bin from a database too?

Either way we paln on cleaning up what we have. Best idea is to have a folder for the ECM, sub folders for bins, defs, masks and wiring diagrams. And I just thought, correct trouble codes.

This is a community effort for anyone wanted to get involved.

-= =-

Administrator

would love too see this, I have been using tunercats caldata for years it's wrong in places as well. I have tons of 85-92 tuned port bins that I have verified myself.
    Well, here's an inside note for ya. TC's data is the same as mine so we are likely to be wrong in the same places. Ward Spoonemoore (Ecmguy) was involved with TC back in the day. It was Ward that inspired me to write my program after I asked ho he was getting info that I needed GM's DOS based software to lookup. But I do have the ability to correct the data I'm using so errors can be fixed.

We were talking to day of what to do with all the bins, defs and wiring diagrams in the photogallerey because it's just a mess. If this program works the question would be could it find the bin from a database too?
    Can it do it in present form? No. Can it be modified to do it? Yes. Will it be easy? It depends.

Either way we paln on cleaning up what we have. Best idea is to have a folder for the ECM, sub folders for bins, defs, masks and wiring diagrams. And I just thought, correct trouble codes.
    I think a linkable database would be best.

Top folder: 1227749
    Contained in 1227749: Mask ID $58, Mask ID $59, Mask ID $5C, Mask ID $49

Selecting $58 brings up: "About me" html file with description and applications, notes that $59 exists, possible links to a few outside sites such as Ludis' pages and code 59 site, link to the low Z injector mod, Cals (.BINs), Definition files, Turbo Sunbird Wiring Diagram, Syty wiring diagram. Mebbe link to BCCfind or list of all possible cals for that mask if it's a small list. Also have linkbacks to similar ecm's or other ecms so references are circular. No page should be 100% dead ended.

Folders at server level could include BINS --> ECM# --> MaskIDs plus "MODIFIED" subdirectory. Unverified or untrusted BINS to be placed in an "Unknown" folder with a disclaimer.

I would like to obtain a database for the Aussie cals as well as for the BCC's used with OBDII cals. Those could be integrated into BCCfind.