Thread: First time TBI tuner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected! DOCBAWRENCHTURNER's Avatar

First time TBI tuner

Hi, I am attempting to collect information and hopefully get some advice on tuning my truck myself. Let me start with the truck, I have a 1995 k1500 with an L31 vortec long lock. It is topped with a GM performance vortec to TBI intake and a stock throttle body, the truck has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and 65lb/hr injectors. This is how I received the truck, I know the previous owner and got a good deal on it because it had never ran 100% since the swap. I am hoping to fix that. So far I have obtained an XP based laptop, and built a cable based on the "OBD1 USB cable for $10" write up based on the FT232RL chipset. I have yet to download a driver for this "cable" yet as we only have IPhones for Internet at home. The truck currently had a 16197427 ECM code BJXP. I am willing to switch to a differen ECM if need be. I have TunerPro and WinALDL on my laptop, but it doesn't seem that WinALDL supports my ECM. Also I am planning on buying a BURN2 from Moates and upgrading to TunerProRT. I just need to know for sure if this hardware/software will work with my application, and if anyone has any advice for this endeavor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    DOCBA

TunerPro Rt is definitely the software you want to use. That ECM is ideal for tuning. Go to the this thread http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OD and get the XDF and ADX files and start data logging. Welcome to the forum.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    TunerPro Rt is definitely the software you want to use. That ECM is ideal for tuning. Go to the this thread http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OD and get the XDF and ADX files and start data logging. Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you for the quick reply, I'll start dataloging asap

Just forget about WinALDL, even if it did work for your PCM? TP is WAY better!

and

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

That bcc comes back as a 5.0. Is that what came stock in that truck? That could explain a few issues, running a 5.7 on a 5.0 tune.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I'd like a copy of that bin when you get one!!! It's a 5.0L Manual...

Even if it were a 5.7L chip, along with 65 lb/hr cop car injectors... it would still not run well with Vortec heads = needs more spark let alone fueling adjustments.

Is the cam stock Vortec?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    That bcc comes back as a 5.0. Is that what came stock in that truck? That could explain a few issues, running a 5.7 on a 5.0 tune.
    The factory PCM was a victim of a bad ground according to the previous owner he replaced it with one that he claims is out of a 95 Chevy van. I need the BURN2 in order to read/obtain the BIN don't I? Also my truck is a factory 4l60 truck, how on earth would it shift with a manual PCM? I hope I didn't hurt it, that trans and the rest of the truck have 380,000 on it, I believe the old slush box to be fragile
    Last edited by DOCBAWRENCHTURNER; 10-06-2013 at 02:36 AM.