Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time TBI tuner

Fuel Injected! DOCBAWRENCHTURNER's Avatar

First time TBI tuner

Hi, I am attempting to collect information and hopefully get some advice on tuning my truck myself. Let me start with the truck, I have a 1995 k1500 with an L31 vortec long lock. It is topped with a GM performance vortec to TBI intake and a stock throttle body, the truck has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and 65lb/hr injectors. This is how I received the truck, I know the previous owner and got a good deal on it because it had never ran 100% since the swap. I am hoping to fix that. So far I have obtained an XP based laptop, and built a cable based on the "OBD1 USB cable for $10" write up based on the FT232RL chipset. I have yet to download a driver for this "cable" yet as we only have IPhones for Internet at home. The truck currently had a 16197427 ECM code BJXP. I am willing to switch to a differen ECM if need be. I have TunerPro and WinALDL on my laptop, but it doesn't seem that WinALDL supports my ECM. Also I am planning on buying a BURN2 from Moates and upgrading to TunerProRT. I just need to know for sure if this hardware/software will work with my application, and if anyone has any advice for this endeavor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    DOCBA

TunerPro Rt is definitely the software you want to use. That ECM is ideal for tuning. Go to the this thread http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OD and get the XDF and ADX files and start data logging. Welcome to the forum.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    TunerPro Rt is definitely the software you want to use. That ECM is ideal for tuning. Go to the this thread http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OD and get the XDF and ADX files and start data logging. Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you for the quick reply, I'll start dataloging asap

Just forget about WinALDL, even if it did work for your PCM? TP is WAY better!

and

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

That bcc comes back as a 5.0. Is that what came stock in that truck? That could explain a few issues, running a 5.7 on a 5.0 tune.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I'd like a copy of that bin when you get one!!! It's a 5.0L Manual...

Even if it were a 5.7L chip, along with 65 lb/hr cop car injectors... it would still not run well with Vortec heads = needs more spark let alone fueling adjustments.

Is the cam stock Vortec?

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    That bcc comes back as a 5.0. Is that what came stock in that truck? That could explain a few issues, running a 5.7 on a 5.0 tune.
    The factory PCM was a victim of a bad ground according to the previous owner he replaced it with one that he claims is out of a 95 Chevy van. I need the BURN2 in order to read/obtain the BIN don't I? Also my truck is a factory 4l60 truck, how on earth would it shift with a manual PCM? I hope I didn't hurt it, that trans and the rest of the truck have 380,000 on it, I believe the old slush box to be fragile
    Last edited by DOCBAWRENCHTURNER; 10-06-2013 at 02:36 AM.

To read the chip in the memcal you would need the Burn 2 along with a header to fit in memcal and in Burn 2
    https://www.moates.net/hdr1-memcal-header-p-52.html
    and a G1 adapter
    https://www.moates.net/g1-memory-ada....html?cPath=64
    and a writable new chip
    https://www.moates.net/c2-sst-27sf51....html?cPath=26

Your 5.0L Manual bin would not be the first time we have seen a chip labled Manual and it was Auto.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    To read the chip in the memcal you would need the Burn 2 along with a header to fit in memcal and in Burn 2
    https://www.moates.net/hdr1-memcal-header-p-52.html
    and a G1 adapter
    https://www.moates.net/g1-memory-ada....html?cPath=64
    and a writable new chip
    https://www.moates.net/c2-sst-27sf51....html?cPath=26

Your 5.0L Manual bin would not be the first time we have seen a chip labled Manual and it was Auto.
    I have a question, the chip says it has a funky erase voltage, but that the BURN1 will be fine. It is my assumption that the BURN2 is reverse compatible and will also erase this chip. Is this an accurate statement?

That's if you have another programmer, other then Moates Burn 1-2 or AutoProm.

Not sure why? My Gq-4x does the 27Fs512 just fine, but the only reason I have it is to burn stock chips for 1227747 type ECM which is a 2732a.

Problem with factory chips is they have to be put under UV light to erase, not done in a programmer.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That's if you have another programmer, other then Moates Burn 1-2 or AutoProm.

Not sure why? My Gq-4x does the 27Fs512 just fine, but the only reason I have it is to burn stock chips for 1227747 type ECM which is a 2732a.

Problem with factory chips is they have to be put under UV light to erase, not done in a programmer.
    I see, thank you for all this info btw

Quote Originally Posted by DOCBAWRENCHTURNER View Post
    The factory PCM was a victim of a bad ground according to the previous owner he replaced it with one that he claims is out of a 95 Chevy van.
    If the factory PCM has been replaced, then theres a possiability the BCC code on the outside of the PCM case does not match whats on the memcal. I would pull the cover off the PCM and see what the BCC is on the memcal itself. The original memcal could have been put into the replacement PCM.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    If the factory PCM has been replaced, then theres a possiability the BCC code on the outside of the PCM case does not match whats on the memcal. I would pull the cover off the PCM and see what the BCC is on the memcal itself. The original memcal could have been put into the replacement PCM.
    I am very good friends with the previous owner, and am positive that the memcal was not switched. As soon as I get to some WiFi or a friends who has Internet I'll get all this stuff ordered and I'll upgrade to TunerProRT. So we can see what is really goin on with this rig.

Well, I went to the local DQ to soak up some WiFi and got TunerProRT, also installed driver for my cable. Got home and acquired my first datalog! The first thing I noticed is this truck is idling at 19.7degrees of timing. Also the BLM is between 90 and 125, the integrator is around 120-128. And the 02 sensor sometimes just dies for a couple seconds then fires back up hovering between 700 and 815. I attempted to check the base timing, I unplugged the esc wire, fired it up and base reads 23 degrees. Shouldn't that read 0? Also it won't run and has zero throttle responce below 7 degrees As read on Tuner Pro. I would upload the file, but have no Internet at home. I think I have a problem to fix before I tune this thing. Suggestions? Thoughts, questions? Life advice?

edit: I failed to mention that I had previously set base timing with a timing light. Seems like it should have been right.
    Last edited by DOCBAWRENCHTURNER; 10-11-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Just looked at a 5.0L bin but not yours. Post up your bin and the data log so we can help!

But base timing says 0 and it should be about 19 at idle.

Timing is set with bypass wire (a single wire with disconnect plug, not sure where it is on your truck) disconnected and set to 0. SO if your getting 23? Something is wrong? Idle timing could be that high with wire NOT disconnected... You sure the timing light was on number 1 cylinder?

The big swing in BLM could be the 5.0L chip and 5.7L engine.

-= =-