Thread: First Data Upload and New to the Forum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

First Data Upload and New to the Forum

Hello all....

Attached is data from a run on my 1978 FJ55 Land Cruiser [4 Door Wagon] I just finished restoring this summer. The engine is new/OH and bone stock except for the Cam..I knew I should not have gone anything but stock but I did. Cam Specs @ .050 INTake 211////Exhaust 211 also.

Also, have headers-6 into one 3 in collector---2 inch exhaust. The exhaust was new so I did not change it out or the pipe to 3 inch. The TBI came out of a 1992 Astrovan, 4300 6cyl engine.

I have the GM TBI system with all sensors installed including--a VSS and Knock sensor, DUI HEI connected to the ESC, NO EGR. Timing set to Zero.

I have another identical setup on another 1978 FJ40 Land Cruiser [Bob Tail] I did around 6 years ago and it runs GREAT! Love the TBI!

This one is running VERY VERY Rich....as you can tell. I m using the same .Bin as the Bob Tail and aside from the Cam and Exhaust Pipe size all Same-Same....The bin came from a member on one of the other sites I visited then and he was a small business man selling TBI Setups at the time.

I hope I m not using the wrong method of presenting this to the group and if I am, my apologies. Any help or advise would be Greatly Appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HvyJet; 09-26-2013 at 06:06 AM.

I'm not sure what to think about the ASYNC being on during the entire data log?

I think I would lower the BPW 3 ~ 5 and see what happens.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the reply and jumping in here....

I found this on another thread about the Async referring to GM s---"Most are Async fuel and during Async the BLM Learn is disabled, even in Closed Loop". Is this what you are referring to? I m not sure what it means but I ll do some more reading.

As for BPW its back to the search function...

Async fueling is the devil and almost every V6 in the 7747 era ECM is this way. It really sucks for good idle in these Land Cruiser and Jeep I6 long runner intake designs. I've never ever not once been happy with a perfect Async bin tune!

Just start with a ASDU V8 Auto bin and change it to six cylinder and tune!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Async fueling is the devil and almost every V6 in the 7747 era ECM is this way. It really sucks for good idle in these Land Cruiser and Jeep I6 long runner intake designs. I've never ever not once been happy with a perfect Async bin tune!

Just start with a ASDU V8 Auto bin and change it to six cylinder and tune!
    My other Landy idles GREAT with this bin......the only differences in the two vehicle setups are the cam and the exhaust size. Beside that every part is identical down to the air cleaner.

I can watch the data while the heated O2 sensors heats up and when it reaches the closed loop value the INT starts to decline along with the BLM s and it runs Rich....until closed loop it runs steady and a 128 BLM...I know its the PROM then in closed loop its the sensors.

Administrator
    the only differences in the two vehicle setups are the cam
    Kind of like saying "both the trucks are the same, the only difference is one has 44" tires." A small difference in name, but a large difference in practice. The cam affects airflow and therefore vacuum. The computer measures vacuum to determine how much fuel to deliver. Different vacuum readings equal different fuel delivery.

I have another identical setup on another 1978 FJ40 Land Cruiser [Bob Tail] I did around 6 years ago and it runs GREAT!
    Ahhh... but not really identical. Sounds like you might need to make some changes to your calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by HvyJet View Post
    As for BPW its back to the search function...
    BPW ~ Base Pulse Width

According to the BPW Math Calculator, the 4.3 liter V6 has a BPW close to 185 with 45 lb injectors.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    This is a stock Toyota 2F straight 6-256 engine. The bin works great in my other Landy with only differences mentioned above....exhaust size and cam. Would either of these cause this rich running issue that I am having? Or based on your knowledge and reading the data dump is there something else amiss here?

Carb and Points!
    Dave
    I dont understand BPW...is there a FAQ or something else I could read to be able to apply this to my situation? And again why bring it up? What did you see in my Data dump that leads you down this trail? I have read hours of other threads from O P and this is the first time I have heard BPW.

Update....
    I viewed my data info and found the BPW categories and its really a lot to understand at this point. Thanks for any light you can shed on this or link me to more instructional info.
    Last edited by HvyJet; 09-26-2013 at 10:10 AM.