Thread: Curiosity (No hurry)

Electronic Ignition!

Curiosity (No hurry)

I have a 2000 Lincoln LS 3.0 5 Speed. The car is underpowered and being the gearhead that I am.... So I propose to drop a 5.4 DOHC from a Navigator after some engine work cause it can't be stock that just wouldn't be me :) So on to the question: which PCM does it have? and what capabilities does it have? Thought there might be some sensor compatibility? This car is complex (for me) electrically and electronically so I would like to use the stock computer. What a blast this car would be with 150-200 more HP.

Thanx in advance for any input

Fuel Injected!
    Easily one of my favorite Fords,worked on many while at the dealer. They had recalls for the valve covers on both V6 and V8 models,as well as an issue with batteries dropping out while sitting on the lot.These have alot of power hungry modules and stuff going on,the transient amps powering all the stuff just in sleep mode will kill a fresh battery in just a few months.
    But awesome cars and fun/comfortable to drive,been trying to talk the wife into buying one for years.

That said,I haven't a clue what would need done. I've never done any mod work on Fords,only factory diag and replacement.
    I did attempt to help a few customers with various project swaps,mainly to deal with the PATS system which is way more complicated than the VATS that is used in Gm's.
    I can say that there are no real workarounds for the PATS,most have to use the board from the applicable istrument cluster (where the pats module resides) and have it programmed and just mount out of way under dashboard.
    So I would make sure the PATS in your LS is compatible with the type in the PCM you use.
    I'm also not sure about what would be compatible,since the LS never came with a mod motor. They use coolant pumps and other systems that never came on other models,except maybe a few select models.
    The LS V8 IIRC only shares it's platform/powertrain with a couple other vehicles,the Jag and new model thunderbird I think.
    Anyway,I still have access to Ford info and can get whatever you might need maybe but I have no real personal insight.
    So if you need schematics,diagrams or system descriptions post up or drop me a note and i'll see what I can find.

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks so much for the offer I'm sure I will take you up on it if it becomes a project! I was hoping to use the stock computer to avoid problems in the other modules etc... not sure it would be worth the trouble if I had to lose several functions. or create a nightmare project. I can build simple circuits to replicate almost any signals to keep the stock computer happy enough to run the rest of the car and then run a second ECM for the engine but yikes what a complicated mess that would be!

Fuel Injected!
    Biggest issue I think is that the computer is probably not haqed/mapped yet. As I understand there are alot of calibration masks that are mapped and alot that aren't on Ford. Nobody is just mapping out each one,people simply swap to a pcm/calibration that will work.I don't think you will have that option because of all the other systems.
    I think easiest way would be to tune your stock pcm like your thinking,but I can't say whether it's compatible (or if a 5.4 would even fit!).
    Companies to send an email to or google would be sniper tuning and eecv binary editor,they are ford tuning programs. I've done a bit of reading over the years but not jumped into messing with one.

Electronic Ignition!
    yea, I know so little about the systems that this may not be do'able for me. As far as fitting :) I read about one with a GM LS engine so it will probably fit. I once shoved a 454 in an S-10 and more than a couple small blocks into Vegas and monza's back in the day. Even if I went with the 4.6 it's the EEC (new term in my vocabulary) that would still be the big question. I love the car and the near 50/50 balance is a blast to drive so an aluminum engine is my first choice. The girlfriend went and got a 04 545I with a 360 hp v8 so some pride lost as she blew my doors off....lol Not complaining though she loves cars so it's cool.

Fuel Injected!
    May have better luck at..... http://eectuning.org/forums/

Then come back here and share your findings.
    '86 Grand National

Electronic Ignition!
    Conclusion: At least for now I would be in way over my head. :)