Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S10 Vortec 5.7L build in hex

Fuel Injected!
    One of the shortcomings of communicating in writing (that means Forum posts) is that the message is devoid of vocal tone, facial expression, and general body language. These are mechanisms that people use to augment the message conveyed by words during an oral conversation.

Are you familiar with the cliché "biting the hand that feeds you" ? That is what you have just done. Anyone objectively looking at my posting would have thought, "Wow that was nice of Buzz to go through 3 GM Service Manuals and place the information into a PDF file for that person to use".

Someone with more maturity or confidence, if they were uncertain of the intent of a phrase, could have asked a clarifying question - like "Buzz, what do you mean by a reality check ?".

Every project should begin with a reality check ... let me give you an example from my experience, which shouldn't cause your fragile ego any issues. A number of years back I had a fellow walk through the door who wanted an aircraft retrofitted with two LSx engines. He presented as a gentleman, and had an unlimited budget - I liked him immediately ! Now came the reality check component of the decision making process: was I a certified AME - No. Did I employ anyone who was a certified AME - No. I quick call to my insurance broker was the death knell to this hypothetical project. I turned the project down, and so did many other people this gentleman approached.

The aircraft did get built - by someone who clearly lacked the requisite skill sets. It was subsequently redone by another person - who as fate would have it, called me for support - my answer was the same as previous. After 3 builders (and I imagine a small fortune) the aircraft is capable of flight, but does not perform well.

Anyway, that is what a reality check is ....

I contribute to this Forum and select others as a means of giving back to the automotive industry, which has been very good to me over the years. I have yet to ask a question, but have answered thousands of them. My intent is always altruistic, and rarely oppositional nor provocative - the form your posting took.

Thank you for the invite to the 355 Nation website, but it doesn't hold any interest for me, one man's garbage is another man's treasure, as the saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 04colyZQ8 View Post
    Wow.... Wanna come over to 355 nation, so can step all over you like you just did to me? I'm going to hold my tongue figuratively speaking.. I'm new here and don't want to over step my bounds!

Reality check time??? Such kind words thanks for those!
    Over reaction! As a new comer here and one of your first posts you need to calm down and understand we don't do negative comments, insults, antagistic or anything else that is other then positive. Sometimes it may be blunt but you don't need to keep your guard up or be thick skinned here! We are a flame free zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    One of the shortcomings of communicating in writing (that means Forum posts) is that the message is devoid of vocal tone, facial expression, and general body language. These are mechanisms that people use to augment the message conveyed by words during an oral conversation.
    Very well said and explains the lack of understanding how your post was considered offensive...

Once we are all back on same understanding on how this site operates... we have bumped into this very rarly but on occasion people get confused with a discussion and an argument and it get's out of hand. We can alwasy have a discussion that can turn into an argument, but it has to be done in a professional adult manner, don't agree? Fine, back it up and let's see facts or clear up the mis-understanding. But the argument can not become personal attacks of any fashion. Just clear up the misunderstanding. Remember there's no flamming, insulting etc... ever in this forum! Always take things in a positive way so we don't have to explain our facail expressions, tone of voice, attitude etc...

Hope that clears things up!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I like the "come over to 355 nation" taunt. LMAO
    '86 Grand National

Soon we will have to have a feelings support sub forum. Truth is truth and theres a thing of unwillingness and unawareness once your made aware of truth you have a decision to be willing to learn or be an unwilling know it all.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Over reaction! As a new comer here and one of your first posts you need to calm down and understand we don't do negative comments, insults, antagistic or anything else that is other then positive. Sometimes it may be blunt but you don't need to keep your guard up or be thick skinned here! We are a flame free zone!

Very well said and explains the lack of understanding how your post was considered offensive...

Once we are all back on same understanding on how this site operates... we have bumped into this very rarly but on occasion people get confused with a discussion and an argument and it get's out of hand. We can alwasy have a discussion that can turn into an argument, but it has to be done in a professional adult manner, don't agree? Fine, back it up and let's see facts or clear up the mis-understanding. But the argument can not become personal attacks of any fashion. Just clear up the misunderstanding. Remember there's no flamming, insulting etc... ever in this forum! Always take things in a positive way so we don't have to explain our facail expressions, tone of voice, attitude etc...

Hope that clears things up!
    Flame free really? What was buzz trying to do to me? There are much nicer ways to tell someone they will never figure it out, and your way over your head! That may be true, I even said I didn't know the first thing about hex, maybe that's why I came here to learn about it, it and if it was ever something I'd be able to do.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Are you familiar with the cliché "biting the hand that feeds you" ? That is what you have just done. Anyone objectively looking at my posting would have thought, "Wow that was nice of Buzz to go through 3 GM Service Manuals and place the information into a PDF file for that person to use".

Someone with more maturity or confidence, if they were uncertain of the intent of a phrase, could have asked a clarifying question - like "Buzz, what do you mean by a reality check ?".

Every project should begin with a reality check ... let me give you an example from my experience, which shouldn't cause your fragile ego any issues. A number of years back I had a fellow walk through the door who wanted an aircraft retrofitted with two LSx engines. He presented as a gentleman, and had an unlimited budget - I liked him immediately ! Now came the reality check component of the decision making process: was I a certified AME - No. Did I employ anyone who was a certified AME - No. I quick call to my insurance broker was the death knell to this hypothetical project. I turned the project down, and so did many other people this gentleman approached.

The aircraft did get built - by someone who clearly lacked the requisite skill sets. It was subsequently redone by another person - who as fate would have it, called me for support - my answer was the same as previous. After 3 builders (and I imagine a small fortune) the aircraft is capable of flight, but does not perform well.

Anyway, that is what a reality check is ....

I contribute to this Forum and select others as a means of giving back to the automotive industry, which has been very good to me over the years. I have yet to ask a question, but have answered thousands of them. My intent is always altruistic, and rarely oppositional nor provocative - the form your posting took.

Thank you for the invite to the 355 Nation website, but it doesn't hold any interest for me, one man's garbage is another man's treasure, as the saying goes.

"I have made the following comment before, but it worth repeating ..... many of the problems encountered in a project are the result of little or no planning / research, and people getting excited and rushing head long into licensing a controller - when perhaps it is not the best controller for the job.

In this instance, not only did someone license a controller to an HPT cable, but they also upgraded to an HPT COS (doubling the credit cost) - before confirming basic functionality - like that the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) gages worked."

Comments like those are complete garbage, how is this going to help anyone at this point? Don't you think he realizes that already? I said very similar words to him, but while he was in the planning process and hadn't bought anything yet, I told him he should use a P59, with a trailblazer or express can tune, but he didn't listen. But he didn't tell me I was wrong either, he just wanted use what PCM, his tuner was familiar with tuning, and figured he'd work out the speedo later on.

I was replying to this last night on my phone on a ferry and lost cell coverage half way through my post, and clicked post in hopes that it would be lost, unfortunately have my post did get lost, the other half went up without me reading it!
    Last edited by 04colyZQ8; 01-24-2014 at 05:20 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes your pdf. file was helpful, and your second post was also helpful, to tell you the truth I didn't look at them, until now. I missed them on the small screen on my phone. I was just replying to the first post. In which it seemed like you were trying to either get rid of me off the forum, or make me feel like I didn't know anything!

The truth is I don't when it comes to advanced tuning, hex editing, compiling and binary code etc..

But I am very mechanically inclined! And I would never approach someone on a forum saying they needed to know what a ratchet was used for, if they said they had no clue how to work on a car, in the same way you initially did. Yeah I'd tell them not do touch the car until they did more research, but I'd kindly tell them were they could find that info, and to by a quality manual for the car. I wouldn't say reality check time, you better stay away from the car you could mess with a safety component and injure yourself, or blow your car up!

Buz, I hope we just got off on the wrong foot, and your right it is hard to see expressions

Lets get back on topic, and if we have any further issues, lets leave it to PMs? I guess I took what you wrote the wrong way, and I hope we can see eye to eye
    Last edited by 04colyZQ8; 01-24-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04colyZQ8 View Post
    Buz, I hope we just got off on the wrong foot, and your right it is hard to see expressions

Lets get back on topic, and if we have any further issues, lets leave it to PMs? I guess I took what you wrote the wrong way, and I hope we can see eye to eye

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Buz, Thanks the PDF, is very informative!

I know the 2005-2006 Trailblazer or 2006 SSR also works, with the Colorado, yet it has a dedicated engine speed signal 121, and vehicle speed 1827, wired to the cluster, but I just left those out, both those circuits don't go any where, yet the gauges work. It would be helpful to see a similar chart like the one you posted on the express and Colorado, but for the Trailblazer.

"Wow that was nice of Buzz to go through 3 GM Service Manuals and place the information into a PDF file for that person to use".

And Yes it was nice Buzz! I doubt you will do it again?

The only info I was going off before was schematics for the instrument clusters of each vehicle, and they would say "logic ïn a square box" then class 2 for the various gauges. So if they said class 2 I assumed there was a chance it might work, compared to the Camaro which only says class 2 for the oil pressure, gas gauge, temp and voltmeter.

The Colorado doesn't have a voltmeter, or oil pressure gauge, just fuel, tach, temp, and speedo
    Last edited by 04colyZQ8; 01-24-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I wonder if we just got lucky when using the trailblazer E40 PCM, that there is a bug that maybe allows the default signal from the Colorado EBCM to pass through, for speed, just a thought. It does seem plausible that perhaps the express van PCM might work, I know the express cluster works using the trailblazer E40 PCM, the only thing I didn't test though was the speedo. If it works that way, it probably will be backwards compatible as well, just not sure about the speedo.

Fuel Injected!
    0996b43f80241bb5.jpg

Ok so, I was wrong, I did hook up the 1827 vehicle speed, and it went to the EBCM, on the rado, perhaps that's how my speedo is working? Maybe my buddies truck doesn't have the speed signal from the Camaro PCM hooked up to the EBCM, and if he does maybe the Camaro just doesn't have the write proto calls set up, for it.

On the Colorado years 2004-2007? there is not a rear wheel speed sensor for the ABS, just front wheels speed sensors, the rear gets the speed from the tailshaft via, the V.S.S, so maybe that's how the EBCM receives the rear wheel sensor is via circuit 1827?

Fuel Injected!
    0996b43f80245489.jpg

Perhaps we should try wiring in the speed signal 817, into the Colorado 1827 to the EBCM, if it isn't already. I would assume this is the standard 4000 pulse per mile signal on the Camaro? wonder what the Colorado is supposed to see from that circuit?