Thread: S10 Vortec 5.7L build in hex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

S10 Vortec 5.7L build in hex

I am helping a guy out with a 2002 OS. People have to stop all of this segment swap crap.

Segment swap seems to work and get the job done. But I read your other thread and can see why things could be done better in hex because of tuning software limitations of OS, even though a tranny segment is same length, maybe just moved a couple line so POOF, that's it, tuning software is out!. I can use hex enough to do things like this but the biggest obstacle for all is not all hex is defined so it's get's hard for us that don't have exact definitions or enough knowledge to separate the code.

So please! Do go on! I'm not totally against a separate forum or sub forum for hex and code. If you put together enough articles we can surely either make one or at least a Hex sticky with links to all your articles. It may bring up enough intrest that people start asking specific questions as well? We've had a few long threads to learn and guys have shared a lot. Things can change when there's enough interest and information to consolidate. It's like to Ford forum, we have a Ford Moderator, it's still here and I'm not sure why as we've never gained enough interest there so other sites have that covered.

Cars are my thing! Was never even interested in computers till I found the internet was full of car info... 1998. Then cars have computers and still wasn't interested till I found I could change the way they run... 2004. It's all been a journey of more computer knowledge, ECM/PCM knowledge, then into the hex knowledge. My end goal, intrests and enjoyment is still cars! So the entire 15 year journey is just another tool for the end goal of cars!

There's got to be a good free software hex editor we could all use and become familiar with as well. TunerPro Hex editor is a big help when using in the program but very limited when it comes hex editing or combining files. NotePad++ has a hex editor plugin I've found useful but still probably not the tool we need?

Then some others are so complicated for us tuner, GearHead type and more in line for experianced programmers.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    i don't work in raw hex very often(except for writing/applying patches, which is all done in tunerpro), when i do, i found a program titled XVI32. has a neat function in it that allows for essentially macros to be performed. like chopping out the first 1KB of a file, click 4 or 5 times and you're done. useful for popping apart switched banks in the calibrations that use them as well.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleditor View Post
    I am helping a guy out with a 2002 OS. People have to stop all of this segment swap crap.
    Interesting post. A general statement, without preamble, explanation of viewpoint, or description of applicable issues.

Segment swaps are a just one tool in the overall toolbox of modifying a calibration to arrive at (or get a little closer to) the needs of the end user. Sometimes these are an effective end in themselves, other times they get you two steps closer and one step back - as the cliche goes.

Some examples ....

A popular segment swap for 1999 to 2002 Gen III 4L60 trucks is the transmission segments from a Camaro calibration - to facilitate keeping the TC locked on deceleration at 0% TPS. With a 2WD truck there is no perceivable downside to this technique. Problems may arise with 4WD trucks - as this process can have the unwanted side effect of disabling some of the 4WD components of the calibration. Not a problem to enable these again - as long is the user is aware of this.

If you have a Gen IV truck ECM calibration, and you wish to use a manual transmission, swapping the system segment from a manual transmission equipped Corvette calibration seems like a reasonable option - but this will only get you part of the way to your end goal. The engine won't rev beyond 4000 RPM as the requisite torque limits are not addressed. Also the speedometer won't work. A positive side benefit is that alternator will now activate immediately, rather than being delayed for two minutes. Again, it is not a problem to address these issues - as long as the user is aware of them.

Working directly in the raw calibration via manipulating the hexadecimal values is a course of action best left to very advanced users - and even then can still lead to catastrophe. If the hex parameter of interest represents a "state", like enabled / disabled, or option 1, 2, 3, etc. working in hex is more straight forward. If the hex parameter of interest represents a numeric value (like temperature) things may start to get confusing. Rarely are these represented in a direct linear fashion - most often these are subject to magnitudes (are multiplied by a factor), and may also feature the application of an offset value.

I only work in hex to develop the requisite parameters within the tuning software platform being used - I then make all changes to the calibration via the tuning software. This way I don't have to recall (and correctly apply) factors and offsets, and I don't need to remember which of these are for metric values and which are for imperial values. I only need to know / trust that I got it right when I originally mapped out the OS being used.

This works for me ... but may not suit everyone ... as we all conceptualize things in a uniquely individual way.

Banned
    I was hoping to post a file and some details today, but I got "stuck"
    I watched season 4 of breaking bad instead

It takes 2 PC's running to do the job correctly. I have twin monitors on one of them

If you do a trans swap a segment swap could be in order. It doesn't always work. I have a method of segment swapping that works 100% of the time. I hope to be able to post it

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleditor View Post
    I was hoping to post a file and some details today, but I got "stuck"
    I watched season 4 of breaking bad instead

It takes 2 PC's running to do the job correctly. I have twin monitors on one of them

If you do a trans swap a segment swap could be in order. It doesn't always work. I have a method of segment swapping that works 100% of the time. I hope to be able to post it
    I look forwared to seeing this method. I have been struggling to figure this out on my own and have yet to complete a successfully segement swap.

Banned
    I had a hard time getting this correct. I had a lot on my mind this last week. I screwed it up I bet 10 times, before I got it right.

I will try to explain all of the changes later
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Hey...this looks familiar!

its Randy BTW