Thread: Ideas for adding port injection to a Corvair

Carb and Points!

Ideas for adding port injection to a Corvair

Hello! I have a 1965 Corvair that I am interested in adding fuel injection to. I have seen write-ups and kits available through vendors. One uses two TBI's, another good one was port injected utilizing a 2.8l Fiero set-up which matches pretty well with the 2.7l Corvair engine.

I am looking for port injection. I would like a modern OBDII system if possible, and I am interested in using a GM system that I will have no problem finding parts for in the future. I really like the look of the stock dual throttlebody/carb set-up, but I realize it may be difficult to find properly sized throttle bodies for my application that are from a pcm that is tunable.

I was wondering if the Trailblazer I6 could be a candidate? The PCM has a pretty good tuner base. It's a 4.2L, I could use smaller injectors as long as it could be used to fire a horizontally opposed engine. Is there another existing platform out there?

The ECM doesn't care what the configuration of the engine is, as long as it has good inputs it can provide good outputs, provided that the math it does internally can provide the things the engine needs to be happy.

I'm running a code that was originally used on a GM I4 and V6s on my Nissan I6.

Once you realize this you can realize that you can use just about ANY ECM or PCM out there, with a few exceptions.

I would suggest looking into the '0411 if you want OBD2, since this PCM has been used quite often in conversions and has files available to tune them.

I still prefer OBD1, since the end result is generally cheaper and works just as well, with less complexity. That being said, I am looking at the '0411 for project I have to get more familar with OBD2 tuning.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Its funny that you suggest that PCM, that was something I tried to learn a little about before posting here. I should state that I am also looking for distributorless ignition. I have an 0411 and a couple of harnesses for a 5.3l V8. A's far as I'm aware, the 6 cylinder engines that used the 0411 were all 4.3l that used a distributor? Maybe I will have to use a Ford EDIS system in conjunction.

You won't be able to interface the Ford EDIS with a GM ECM/PCM. The signals they use to control timing are different.

DIS was used with OBD1 as well, on many 4 and 6 cyl engines. The 60 degree V6 DIS is a good candidate to use. I'm using this on my Nissan I6 currently.

I don't know enough about the '0411 to know if the OS and code will allow DIS for a 6 cyl engine. In stock applications the V6s used a dizzy, but there may be a way to change that.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I'm wondering if anyone has links or information on the 12209614 LS Type PCM, commonly used for 2001 ~ 2002 GM V6 vehicles.

BUICK CENTURY (2001 - 2002)
    BUICK RENDEZVOUS 2002
    CHEVROLET IMPALA (2001 - 2002)
    CHEVROLET LUMINA 2001
    CHEVROLET MALIBU (2001 - 2002)
    CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO (2001 - 2002)
    CHEVROLET VENTURE (2001 - 2002)
    OLDSMOBILE ALERO (2001 - 2002)
    OLDSMOBILE AURORA (2001 - 2002)
    OLDSMOBILE INTRIGUE (2001 - 2002)
    OLDSMOBILE SILHOUETTE (2001 - 2002)
    PONTIAC AZTEK (2001 - 2002)
    PONTIAC GRAND AM (2001 - 2002)
    PONTIAC GRAND PRIX (2001 - 2003)
    PONTIAC MONTANA (2001 - 2002)

dave w

Super Moderator
    the 98 or 99-02 60 and 90V6 PCMs are all so close to identical that you can run one calibration on all of them and apparently it will act normally.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

You can use the 16196395/7427 ECM and run port injection or TBI. I got the DIS to run on my system by using an initial timing off-set... it was a lot of trial and error before I got that part worked out. My original setup used a distributor on my Corvair, but I had to ask myself why.....as DIS has no moving parts is basically trouble-free and last forever. Also mating the Corvair Distributor to the V6 Dizzy is not that easy and requires exact machining and you still have the same maintenance issues you currently have minus points.

The OBD-1 stuff is cheap, easy to get and does not require rocket science to program. Since you would only be using 6 injectors, you will NOT have to modify the ECM for the hi-z injectors.
    Port Injection was not a priority for me on the Corvair Engine as I wanted a bolt-on/reverseable system and the performance increases of MPFI over 2 TBIs would be minimal at best due to the poor design of the Corvair intake logs. If you have good welding skills I would go for it, but remember most Corvair heads are 50 years old they tend to drop valves a lot more often, even the 110 heads.

We designed a MPFI kit which used epoxy to hold the injector bungs in place, but again.. cost and head machining would still be an issue. The other issue you will have is getting the temp from your Air-Cooled Corvair engine to correspond to the desired engine temps of the ECM..... can be done, but was not easy. My setup took a very long time to get ready for primetime with Clarks Corvair. The benefits of EFI in a Corvair are too many to list and the dependability is worth the conversion. I just turned over 100,000 over 5 years this month on my EFI and only had 1 coil die during the period.
    Last edited by corvairnut; 09-21-2013 at 02:55 AM.
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI
    61 Corvair Loadside Pickup (Future EFI)