Thread: Can I Get More Information or Data From OBD I Beyond Blinky Codes?

Electronic Ignition!

Can I Get More Information or Data From OBD I Beyond Blinky Codes?

WARNING ! ! NUBI MERGING !! I'm Going to sound really dumb till I get up to speed!

Friends, how much information can I get from an OBD I beyond blink codes? The guys at AutoZone say not much so they won't even test OBD 1

I have a '90 GMC C1500, 2WD, 700R4, ('91) 5.7L TBI from a CA vehicle. I replaced an ARJU chip with an ASDU chip (why another story). I have an idle and surging acceleration problem so I shot it with the Parts Machine Gun at it, emptied the clip into it to(wallet).

Fuel Injected!
    I'm a psm at AZ a couple nights every week or so,and most of them don't know anything about OBDI.None of them have generally ever seen more than the flashes on the dash for a code,and then have trouble finding the definition for the code.
    They also don't understand the code and what it means (same for OBDII also generally).

There is plenty more info available,not near as much as OBDII but the appropriate info is all available for the most part.
    Blinking codes is just a default way to figure something out if you don't have the correct equipment.
    Buy one of Roberts OBDI cables,it'll open a whole new world for you automotively speaking :)
    Last edited by Playtoy_18; 09-19-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Super Moderator
    you have a 160 baud ECM, not a whole lot of data to be retreived, but usually enough to diagnose a problem.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Playtoy_18 View Post
    I'm a psm at AZ a couple nights every week or so,and most of them don't know anything about OBDI.None of them have generally ever seen more than the flashes on the dash for a code,and then have trouble finding the definition for the code.
    They also don't understand the code and what it means (same for OBDII also generally).

There is plenty more info available,not near as much as OBDII but the appropriate info is all available for the most part.
    Blinking codes is just a default way to figure something out if you don't have the correct equipment.
    Buy one of Roberts OBDI cables,it'll open a whole new world for you automotively speaking :)
    So you are saying I don't have to buy an OBD I can buy a cable and what, Use a PC to access all the data?

Yes, TunerProRT is outstanding software. Moates.net has the download, it's free, but most people that use it like to pay the small fee to register it.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Read this tutorial on TunerPRo RT and follow the links to files. There is a data log/.xdl file that will show what is available on the slowest of OBDI GM systems. It's a lot really!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-a-must-read!-)

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Yes, TunerProRT is outstanding software. Moates.net has the download, it's free, but most people that use it like to pay the small fee to register it.
    Bout how much $$ does the cable cost?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-