Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast

Thread: ALDLdroid

When this does become available---What would be the preferred OBD2 Bluetooth connector dongle? I am building a 54 Chevy 5 window pickup (with probably 5.3 twin turbo Gen3 engine) and would love a small overhead console mounted tablet that I could play music, video, navigation, internet and Engine data on.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Fuel Injected!
    So tonight, I wrapped the data logging stuff in its own thread so that the IO performance of the device won't affect the read speed from the ECM :)

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Just trying to help you on the Android end. I'm pretty good with TunerPro on the PC end!

You really need to break out some free licenses for us to help. Your not going to find any better testers for this app and TunerPro then here!

Take a look at this adx file, I'm sure it's an overload compaed to the $8F you've been dealing with as far as dashboards and other options available in TunerPro to modify the ADX file. Although the simplicity of a 160 Baud for hookup.
    Mark I will try to hook you guys up obviously :)

Thanks for the ADX, it made me find a bunch of bugs, mostly all fixed now. If anobody else has ADX files they want to use with the app, feel free to post them in this thread and I will try to load them. Most of the parser bugs should be fixed by now but we never know :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
    When this does become available---What would be the preferred OBD2 Bluetooth connector dongle? I am building a 54 Chevy 5 window pickup (with probably 5.3 twin turbo Gen3 engine) and would love a small overhead console mounted tablet that I could play music, video, navigation, internet and Engine data on.

Jeff
    Please don't hold your breath for ODB2 support. The good news is that there is a lot of good ODB2 app out there already :)

I think the idea of OBD2 support comes from the fact that there is OBD2 logging with Tuner Pro already. Though for some reason I think a plug in is needed for certain applications...

I'll send you a couple ADXs in a bit.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I think the idea of OBD2 suport comes from the fact that there is OBD2 logging with Tuner Pro already. Though for some reason I think a plug in is needed for certain applications...

I'll send you an ADX in a bit.
    Yeah, it would be the same deal for ALDLdroid. Obviously there is no plugins system in ALDLdroid but ODB2 would need an extra communication layer, mainly for abstraction of talking with an ELM327 adapter.

Fuel Injected!
    I forgot to mention, when I looked at Mark's ADX file, I figured that I will probaly never be able to import ADX file 100%. For example, Mark file has a few dashboards with 33 indicators. How the hell can I make this fit on a phone screen ? Not going to happen :P So now I try to figure out how much space I have to work with (depending if its a 10" tablet or phone for example) and junk what won't fit... I was thinking I could also spread it on multiples pages as well but then you would end up with 72 pages of indicators or something... At the end of the day, as I already said, its so easy to create a dashboard in the app that it's not worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by 3400tZ View Post
    How the hell can I make this fit on a phone screen ?
    That's why I wanted to show you some of the more elaborate dashboards as I knew it would be ridiculas for a phone!

I'm not even sure you should make them work in this? I think the smaller tablet or phone would have to have your dashboard built for what you want as well. There's obviously only a few things that you would be looking for/using it for. Like maybe one dashboard for fuel, one for spark, one for whatever etc... normally no need for speedometer or tach, or coolant etc... in a vehicle with this phone app.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I would say just parsing out the data section of it and building a dashboard from within the app would be best.

Like you suggested before, one dash for all loaded ADXs, and just assign gauges that don't directly transfer over.

I just hope there's some sort of a file that will hold the settings so that when switching between ADXs it doesn't require a re-assignment every time. ;)
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I would say just parsing out the data section of it and building a dashboard from within the app would be best.

Like you suggested before, one dash for all loaded ADXs, and just assign gauges that don't directly transfer over.

I just hope there's some sort of a file that will hold the settings so that when switching between ADXs it doesn't require a re-assignment every time. ;)
    X2 ^^

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!

Yes, there is a dashboard file specific to the app already. Switching ADX file won't wipe your dashboard (that's the reason for the "Reset dashboard to ADX file" in case you still want that to happen for some reason).

I think building the app dashboard from the existing dashboard elements of the ADX file or from some other thing in the ADX file can be debated but for now, lets try what is currently in there and we'll see if its non-sense in real life situations with real users. It seems to work great for me so far so we'll see :)

Fuel Injected!
    Sign me up as a beta tester! I've got a Sero7 Pro tablet, a couple of FTDI based USB to serial to ALDL interface cables and home-grown Bluetooth to ALDL adapter.

I've built a couple of Arduino based ALDL data loggers and started learning Android so that I could move to a tablet form factor display and bluetooth enabled logger. But your programing skills are light years head of mine, I'd happily use your software! If I gotta learn more JAVA my head is gonna explode! I'll stick with microcontrollers!

Here's a link to my Arduino ALDL projects: http://www.xm381.com/xm381/aldl.html

Primarily I'm logging a couple of Jaguars, a '59 MK-I and '74 XJ-6, that originally had dual SU carbs and were converted to dual throttle bodies with distributorless ignition using the $A1 code in a 1227727 ECU that has a Romulator stuffed inside it. I've also got $8D code with the same 1227727 ECU/Romulator package running a "8BA" Ford Flathead V-8 (converted to throttle body).
    Last edited by mikew; 10-13-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3400tZ View Post
    Yes, there is a dashboard file specific to the app already. Switching ADX file won't wipe your dashboard (that's the reason for the "Reset dashboard to ADX file" in case you still want that to happen for some reason).

I think building the app dashboard from the existing dashboard elements of the ADX file or from some other thing in the ADX file can be debated but for now, lets try what is currently in there and we'll see if its non-sense in real life situations with real users. It seems to work great for me so far so we'll see :)
    (See bold)

I thought that's what I was suggesting?

Fuel Injected!
    I didn't understand your first sentence (data section ?) so wanted to clarify.

Whatever, looks like we're all on the same page!

EDIT: Oh, by data section, you mean bit masks and values I guess ? Yeah, the reason I was trying to extract some sort of dashboard from the ADX file is to at least have something to display at first so it's not a totally empty dashboard.
    Last edited by 3400tZ; 10-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Data section:

values, bitmasks, look up tables, commands, basically everything important to communicate with the ECM, but not necessarily display it, the app would take care of the displaying of that data is what I'm saying.

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah, I confirm that's how it works right now :)

So 696 lines of code later, I changed the XDF parser to support the new XDF format instead of the old one. I do realize we don't care too much about XDF at this point but if I ever get to the tuning stuff, that will be one step done.

Fuel Injected!

Damn it, I had to put the XDF parser to use. I now have some of the tuning stuff done as well apparently. I can read/write constants. Next will be flags I guess, then tables.

I really like the sliding menu and stuff, what do you guys think ? I know I should finish the dashboard stuff instead (meh, its sort of good enough for now) but I really felt like working on this... It was fun :D