Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast

Thread: ALDLdroid

Fuel Injected!
    I thought about that Mark, but I felt like it was a bit weird to call it "Tuner" if there is no tuning functionnality. I'm not sure if it will ever get there as well so that's an issue. I was thinking about maybe thinking about something else no finishing with "droid" but I don't know.

Anyway tonight I just had an idea while driving back from work. I want to implement alarm tonight so the alarm in ADX file are used and indicators can turn red when alarm is reached. That's easy enough. I might add a vibrate option as well. Sound is a bit more tricky but could be done eventually.

But the idea I had is that we can push that a bit further. For example, lets say you're at the drag strip and you want an "Engine Saver" alarm. You would probably create an alarm for knock count but it could be hard for AFR as the AFR target vary based on MAP and RPM.

I was thinking we could have a complete alarms interface which would allow users to do something like:

IF (MAP > 100 AND AFR > 13) OR (KNOCK_COUNT > 5) THEN ALARM()

Or maybe:

IF (ABS(TARGET_AFR - AFR) > 1.0) THEN ALARM()

Values are just what I thought could sort of make sense but obviously this could all be configured. Alarm could be either a big red indicator on the screen and/or vibrate and/or sound.

So at the drag strip you would have your phone in your pocket (connected to your ECM via Bluetooth) and it could start vibrating to let you know that something is wrong and let off the gas pedal before you break a ring land or something.

Wouldn't that be cool ? Can you laptop do that Mark ?:P

DroidScan
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3400tZ View Post
    Wouldn't that be cool ? Can you laptop do that Mark ?:P
    Yes! and Yes!

Just make a dashboard, full size, with one gauge for AFR and set alarm. Same for Knock... I've asked TunerPRo to implement sounds for alarms but the request was never done!

Quote Originally Posted by 3400tZ View Post
    as the AFR target vary based on MAP and RPM
    Actually it does not, in Closed loop it would be targeting Stoich AFR set in bin. In Open Loop most bins are also a set AFR although some do act as you stated. But at drag strip you would be WOT so ECM/PCM would be in PE which is normally a programmed amount and done without Closed Loop feedback from O2 sensor. And I still like the idea of the feature!

But I like the way your thinking to implement features that we could use!

I know you need a cool name and Icon, but for now the way you are heading I think it would be popular just because of what you have done and the way it's heading!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
    DroidScan
    Not bad! And more generic for sure :)

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Yes! and Yes!

Just make a dashboard, full size, with one gauge for AFR and set alarm. Same for Knock... I've asked TunerPRo to implement sounds for alarms but the request was never done!

Actually it does not, in Closed loop it would be targeting Stoich AFR set in bin. In Open Loop most bins are also a set AFR although some do act as you stated. But at drag strip you would be WOT so ECM/PCM would be in PE which is normally a programmed amount and done without Closed Loop feedback from O2 sensor. And I still like the idea of the feature!

But I like the way your thinking to implement features that we could use!

I know you need a cool name and Icon, but for now the way you are heading I think it would be popular just because of what you have done and the way it's heading!
    Mark doesn't seems to be into fancy stuff much. TunerPro seems to be more oriented to be functional which is not a bad thing at all. I definitely want this app to have all kind of somewhat unique and awesome features (even if some of them won't be the most useful thing in the world).

You're probably right about the target AFR thing, I'm so used to MegaSquirt now so I guess I cannot even remember how the stock ECM works

Btw, I just finished the vibrate on alarm configuration. I really like this feature as its soooo annoying, it's a perfect alarm :) I had it vibrate for 3 seconds at first but it was just too much, 1 second seems about right. At some point I could expose the duration in the UI somewhere to be configurable.

Thanks for the great words Mark btw, very appreciated :)

Super Moderator
    the jewish version: ALDroidL?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

LOL!
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Sorry I can't resist. I have a client who wants a quilting application, so I came up with this

HemDroid icon.png
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Wow I only just found this thread. The software looks great! For name, I reckon ALDLDroid is a good name, because you know what protocol and you know what platform. Hard to forget.

As for tuning, you can do that via aldl with an nvram mod, eg on the '165 you can run this after replacing the memcal with an nvram chip and hooking up the write pin to the cpu: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356

I wrote the plugin for tunerpro to support it http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=590 essentially it talks to the chip emulation layer in tunerpro and the logging layer, and holds up the logging side while inserting read and write requests on the emulation side. Ironically, in this case emulation has been moved back to to the real and physical storage in the ecu.

I have this system in my car and an sgs4 phone, and would love to test the logging side.

As for purpose of using a tablet? I'd love to install a cheap 7" tablet in the car and use it as a full time monitor. That'd be way cool.

device could emit a sound at the same frequency as detected knock....? Give you an idea of the severity without having to look at the screen?

DroidLogger?
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by antus View Post
    Wow I only just found this thread. The software looks great! For name, I reckon ALDLDroid is a good name, because you know what protocol and you know what platform. Hard to forget.

As for tuning, you can do that via aldl with an nvram mod, eg on the '165 you can run this after replacing the memcal with an nvram chip and hooking up the write pin to the cpu: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356

I wrote the plugin for tunerpro to support it http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=590 essentially it talks to the chip emulation layer in tunerpro and the logging layer, and holds up the logging side while inserting read and write requests on the emulation side. Ironically, in this case emulation has been moved back to to the real and physical storage in the ecu.

I have this system in my car and an sgs4 phone, and would love to test the logging side.

As for purpose of using a tablet? I'd love to install a cheap 7" tablet in the car and use it as a full time monitor. That'd be way cool.
    Glad you like it, I could definitely add support for that NVRAM mod eventually, even easier if you supply the source code of your plugin :)

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    device could emit a sound at the same frequency as detected knock....? Give you an idea of the severity without having to look at the screen?

DroidLogger?
    DroidLogger is sort of the opposite problem of TunerDroid, it assume it will ever be just a logger. The problemI have with the ALDLdroid name is that I feel like it's closing doors for later. For example, TunerPro support much more then only GM so ADX file for other car brands might already work in ALDLdroid.

That's not a bad idea for knock, it could be done, probably a bit involved for something so specific but eventually could be possible!

Fuel Injected!
    Tonight work so far included a few things:

First, I had an issue when loading a different ADX file then last time, some indicators might be linked to values/bit masks that doesn't exists in that new ADX file. This was making the app crash which isn't exactly great. So now, I introduced the concept of "dead" indicators. They will appear as dead with their title and a big X over them. From there, you can reassign them to a new source. That also made me think about a possible "Reset to ADX file default dashboard" setting that could be added to the settings section as well.

The second screenshot is about the "prevent sleep mode" setting. When you're on the dashboard, you most likely don't want your device to enter sleep mode. Instead of going into the settings of the device and modifying your global device settings, this setting overwrite the global setting for the app dashboard only. It's enabled by default as I'm assuming that's what most people will want.

Fuel Injected!
    Added another thing to settings section tonight: Reset dashboard to ADX default.

This was another 150 lines of code, seems to be stuck to that number of new lines of code per day :)

ADX files can have many dashboards... most of which would be way to big for a phone...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    That's fine Mark. That's good you mention it tho because I didn't realized that ADX files could have multiple dashboard elements. I will add support for that soon. That will just translate to multiple pages in the ALDLdroid dashboard, that's perfect.

About the indicators being too big, I'm currently ignoring the positions and placing them in a grid format with positions calculated on the fly. I'm not too worried about this as you can always delete everything and start from scratch. Building a dashboard in the app is super fast and easy (and quite fun actually :)). The ADX file is used to get started quick but unfortunately it wasn't created with mobile in mind so it does has its issue. I have a ALDLdroid specific dashboard file that get saved separately from the ADX, so until you click reset to ADX default (if you ever do), then that dashboard file get loaded every time.

All this make sense to me and give a really decent user experience so I'm not too worried but we will see once people start using it as well :P

Just trying to help you on the Android end. I'm pretty good with TunerPro on the PC end!

You really need to break out some free licenses for us to help. Your not going to find any better testers for this app and TunerPro then here!

Take a look at this adx file, I'm sure it's an overload compaed to the $8F you've been dealing with as far as dashboards and other options available in TunerPro to modify the ADX file. Although the simplicity of a 160 Baud for hookup.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-