Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast

Thread: ALDLdroid

Super Moderator
    take a look. turns out i have this one setup for 20:1 since the secondary stream is almost entirely for DTCs. i've done the same for other setups though, just tweak the rates to however i find them to work best.

basically, i make use of the repeat command inside the transmit data macro, i'm sure you'll see it. that ADX also has some mode 4 commands in it, along with the VIN grab. i think i need to adjust the timing for that though, i don't always have the VIN in my logs, not that it's critical.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks man! That's a good idea and I already had support for the repeatcount param for the macro itself but not for the macro nodes for some reason. I've just added that so this should be covered in the next release (0.22) :)
    Last edited by 3400tZ; 12-10-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Just pushed 0.22 to Play. I'm more and more happy with the app. I feel like we're starting to have something pretty solid, I hope you guy feels the same :P Little reminder on the changes log for people interested:

- Properly support value / bitmask that have parent id for a different listen packet then the monitor command
    - Added support for "repeatcount" parameter of macro nodes

- Try to send the ECU connected event as late as possible with Bluetooth so that connect macro is executed properly (if it exists)

- Fixed crash in tuning section in some circonstances when table axis label have no units (reported by Jeff)
    - Fixed tuning section not displaying column major tables properly (reported by mdj using $42)
    - Fixed XDF item equation not being calculated properly when using linked variable(s)
    - Fixed ADX value that use a linked variable using the raw value instead of the calculated value from the linked variable
    - Fixed table axis labels wrongly being casted to float (now string)

- Fixed Bluetooth starting ECM comms thread too soon (making connect macros being lost). Also give better feedback to the user of what's going on while connecting to an ECU.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, next thing to report and I hope this isn't too daunting. My 4-year-old phone barely works with only 4 standard numeric items selected to display. Two items works ok. The screen update time starts at about 1/2 second and slowly increases to at least 3-4 seconds after only a few minutes. After about a minute, it is impossible to pull up the menu to disconnect the scan. I have to break to the homescreen/desktop and then force the app to stop via the Application manager. All this time, the scan, which I have displayed on a scope, continues normally at about 4-5 scans per second; i.e. nothing ever changes there. If nothing else, it would help if I could disconnect via a button on the display window somewhere, if that can be possible. Another possibility is to simply warn folks about usability on older and slower phones like mine, perhaps something like "If you can play Angry Birds (or some other benchmark) you should be able to use this"?

Fuel Injected!
    1/2 second to display 4 numeric indicators ? Geez man, that's terrible, haha! I bought an old phone (HTC One V, 3 years old I think ? and bottom of the line) to test for that exact reason. To be able to see performance issue like that. Oh, and because it was cheap too :)

I think the fix is not to add a disconnect button else where or to warn people about their old phone but to fix the performance issue! After reading your post I went back to the code that refresh the indicators values on the dashboard when new data from the ECU is received. I thought I had made an optimization but apparently I didn't. So currently when the app receive data from your ECU, it will refresh the whole dashboard everytime, no matter that something changed or not. Of course, when you have 4 indicators on your dashboard and that it refresh say 7 times a seconds, its not likely that the values of these 4 indicators will be different every time for at least one of them.

So now, the obvious optimization is to refresh the dashboard only when at least one indicator value changed. It's a bit more complicated then that tho because I have the RPS counter, connection status and a bunch of other stuff on that dashboard. So for now what I did is the following: it will update the dashboard right away if a value changed (to keep the realtime factor, super important!) or every second (to be sure RPS counter and stuff is up to date), whatever what come first.

I think this will make a big difference on your older device. It will also help with battery life for everybody, old device or not! I just uploaded version 0.23 on Play, please try it once it becomes available for you.

Thank you!

Fuel Injected!
    No change. This old phone is probably not up to the task. By the way, there are some other apps that Play simply refuses to let me buy because of the "limited capabilities" of the phone.

Fuel Injected!
    But I'm sure I can get this thing to work decent even on older phone!

I'm surprised it made no difference what so ever because it was a pretty big optimization but OK.... I have a plan B! I've just done some profiling and it looks like the GC (garbage collection) is kicking in pretty often because of all the expression parser stuff (basically the math nodes in the ADX file) that get recreated way too often. This can definitely cause pauses and a sluggish app. I have an idea to improve that. Will try to get 0.24 out tonight for you to try again (if you still feels like testing obviously :)).

Thanks!

Fuel Injected!
    Updated app. and reloaded bin file ,timing tables came up correct.Good fix.Looking foward to getting usb board and hooking things up.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3400tZ View Post
    But I'm sure I can get this thing to work decent even on older phone!

I'm surprised it made no difference what so ever because it was a pretty big optimization but OK.... I have a plan B! I've just done some profiling and it looks like the GC (garbage collection) is kicking in pretty often because of all the expression parser stuff (basically the math nodes in the ADX file) that get recreated way too often. This can definitely cause pauses and a sluggish app. I have an idea to improve that. Will try to get 0.24 out tonight for you to try again (if you still feels like testing obviously :)).

Thanks!
    No problem. I will keep testing as long as you keep trying. Until I retired this year, I was an electronics test engineer, so it's kind of in-the-blood ;-)

By the way, I am just doing this because it interests me and have no real practical use for the product at this time, so... no pressure.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm having fun doing this so it's all good! Ok so 0.24 is uploaded to Play. There is a lot of performance improvements in there. I noticed that the real-time data page was a bit sluggish on my phone so since it share a lot of code with the dashboard, I went ahead and fixed some performance issue and was able to see if it was improving. That page is very smooth on my phone now.

My guess is that dashboard will be noticeably smoother for you now but probably not perfect... I will let you tell me!

What model phone are you running btw ?

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    My phone is an HTC myTouch 3G (T-Mobile). The latest rev, 0.24, is a major improvement and for a display with 4 items, it looks to be normal like it should be (several updates per second). I can now even use the histogram displays, whereas I could not before. The one thing that still does not work is the live data screen. I cannot scroll it or get to the menu once it is selected and it is connected. The items in the list that I can see are updated very slowly at first and then stop after a few minutes. Major progress overall though.

Hey 3400tZ,

I have a request. This would be a nice to have option but not totally needed. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a color selection for the different gauges/basic display etc, this way if you wanted something to stand out you could do it. I don't know the work involved in it.

Another question, if I set-up my ALDL screens for my ADX, then I switch to a different ADX, does the screen change? or is it one screen of all ADX. This would be something else that would be cool to have is saving the display per ADX, not sure if you do that currently or not
    -=Jeff=-
    1990 Corvette ZR-1
    Black/Red Interior

Something else I noticed. If I make a screen in portrait mode, when I turn my device to landscape the original readout return to the screen, it this correct so I now have to make both a portrait and landscape screen of each screen?

So on my Nexus I have 4 screens to scroll through so I have to manage 8 screens ( assuming I use then all)?
    -=Jeff=-
    1990 Corvette ZR-1
    Black/Red Interior

Fuel Injected!
    Gary, awesome, that does seems like it helped quite a bit as I was expecting. I figured one night of optimization before we validate if I was going in the right direction but it sounds like I was :) I will have to look for the real-time data, it was definitely the slowest thing on my phone, I made it much better on my phone (almost perfect?) but I'm not that surprised that its still not good enough. I will try to see what I can do about it in a near future :)

Jeff, the possibility of editing colors and style of indicators is something I want to do so its on the TODO list. Same for dashboards, it would be nice to be able to load/save dashboard and most of the stuff is already in place to make it happen.

About the different dashboards in portrait vs landscape, this is "normal". The reason I did that is that the screen is different ratio in both orientation, and since I'm allowing the indicators to not be square, the ratio on different screen orientation is totally messing things up. I'm not sure if it would be possible to make it work, maybe with a lot of maths but I figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

At this point, I'm mostly in features freeze mode, just trying to fix bugs and make everything running smooth, and then I will try to advertise it a lot more. If it looks like not many people are interested, I might be mostly done with development and new features and just fixing little bugs here and there as they arrive, otherwise I will be implementing new features and a bunch of awesomeness :) I really hope everything will go well because I'm having fun doing this but if it's not worth my time, I'm not gonna bother :) We'll see!

Yeah just suggestions for future, if you decide to pursue it.

Makes sense on the rotate, was not sure if it was meant to be that way
    -=Jeff=-
    1990 Corvette ZR-1
    Black/Red Interior