Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast

Thread: ALDLdroid

Fuel Injected!
    Brainstormed about the ADX support tonight. It's a bit more of a pain in the ass then I was hoping :P It's similar to ADS but sort of different at the same time. What I'm thinking to do is just use the data that I need from the ADX file to fill the data structure that I'm currently using for ADS. Is there any point to support "monitor" or "listview" or "histogram" ? I mean, I already have those widgets, or will have them at some point anyway and everything get saved to a much more flexible dashboard file. There is also some stuff that doesn't really apply to android like the position of the widget on the dashboard. I can somehow try to convert them but with different screen ratio and stuff, it will probably end up looking like a mess. So I'm thinking about parsing ADX files just for the ECU data length, all the values, bit masks, that kind of stuff (everything that is in the ADS really, that's all I need)... I can probably add support for more stuff as needed... does that make sense ?

Fuel Injected!
    Today, it's been exactly a month since I started working on the app. Pretty happy with the progress in a month, considering I have a full time job as well

Tonight, I got the "Auto-connect" feature working. It was a bit more work then excepted because I ended up adding a "data stream file selection" entry in the settings section of the app so I don't have to display the "select a data stream file" thingy at every ECU connection (which was very annoying anyway). This allow the auto-connect to be able to silently connect to the last ECU. When a different code mask is used, the settings section can be used to go change the data stream file.

Have you tested this on an actual android device (with comms) or just in the dev environment?

I'm supposed to be getting that Android device soon...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3400tZ View Post
    Brainstormed about the ADX support tonight. It's a bit more of a pain in the ass then I was hoping :P It's similar to ADS but sort of different at the same time. What I'm thinking to do is just use the data that I need from the ADX file to fill the data structure that I'm currently using for ADS. Is there any point to support "monitor" or "listview" or "histogram" ? I mean, I already have those widgets, or will have them at some point anyway and everything get saved to a much more flexible dashboard file. There is also some stuff that doesn't really apply to android like the position of the widget on the dashboard. I can somehow try to convert them but with different screen ratio and stuff, it will probably end up looking like a mess. So I'm thinking about parsing ADX files just for the ECU data length, all the values, bit masks, that kind of stuff (everything that is in the ADS really, that's all I need)... I can probably add support for more stuff as needed... does that make sense ?
    I think so?

Just opened TunerPro RT and then looked at my Android phone. There's a lot in TP on a PC that won't be needed with TP on an Android, even less on a phone. The entire data log file will have to be able to be saved and emailed. But since you have basically a dashboard you can pick and choose what you want to see and use, I think what needs to be supported is anything in Values or Bitmasks!

History tables aren't going to be much help on a phone... monitors would be to small to find trends or glitches... your making dash boards... have to be able to read codes that are set or switches on or off.

I'm still wondering what I would do with this? It's a cool toy, but for tuning? I'd just need my laptop! That said for personal use I could do a data log without the laptop and email it for later review. The ability to reflect the phone off windsheild as a second dashboard at night is a cool feature.

Now what excites me is the GPS functions, (Latitude, longitude, azimuth, bearing, altitude, accel x/y/z axis)! If this is in same data log then we could probably make history tables, graphs etc... and have a way to time! Like a dyno or 1/4 mile run! That adds a whole new demention to data logs from TP!

One thing I just thought of and thought I'd pass it on in hopes of helping... while comparing TP on my laptop and TP on my phone is your doing all this work on a.... whatever that thing is? A tablet? In all reality all these options and adjustments need to be done on a much smaller scale for the cell phone.

If you want testing done on android phone I have one. Would need to be able to load the $42 ADX. Which brings up another issue... maybe. This ECM is 160 Baud and I think your working with 8192 Baud.

HTH!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Have you tested this on an actual android device (with comms) or just in the dev environment?

I'm supposed to be getting that Android device soon...
    Come on Chris, have you seen my video and/or screenshots ?

I always test with real devices only, the Android emulator isn't that great, doesn't support Bluetooth for example... not sure about USB. :P

So far I've tested with my tablet (Asus TF300) and phone (HTC One V). Both works great.

Come on Chris, have you seen my video and/or screenshots ?

I always test with real devices only, the Android emulator isn't that great, doesn't support Bluetooth for example... not sure about USB. :P

So far I've tested with my tablet (Asus TF300) and phone (HTC One V). Both works great.
    Yes, I have, the last few looked like a laptop was used for testing... That's why I asked.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I think so?

Just opened TunerPro RT and then looked at my Android phone. There's a lot in TP on a PC that won't be needed with TP on an Android, even less on a phone. The entire data log file will have to be able to be saved and emailed. But since you have basically a dashboard you can pick and choose what you want to see and use, I think what needs to be supported is anything in Values or Bitmasks!

History tables aren't going to be much help on a phone... monitors would be to small to find trends or glitches... your making dash boards... have to be able to read codes that are set or switches on or off.

I'm still wondering what I would do with this? It's a cool toy, but for tuning? I'd just need my laptop! That said for personal use I could do a data log without the laptop and email it for later review. The ability to reflect the phone off windsheild as a second dashboard at night is a cool feature.

Now what excites me is the GPS functions, (Latitude, longitude, azimuth, bearing, altitude, accel x/y/z axis)! If this is in same data log then we could probably make history tables, graphs etc... and have a way to time! Like a dyno or 1/4 mile run! That adds a whole new demention to data logs from TP!

One thing I just thought of and thought I'd pass it on in hopes of helping... while comparing TP on my laptop and TP on my phone is your doing all this work on a.... whatever that thing is? A tablet? In all reality all these options and adjustments need to be done on a much smaller scale for the cell phone.

If you want testing done on android phone I have one. Would need to be able to load the $42 ADX. Which brings up another issue... maybe. This ECM is 160 Baud and I think your working with 8192 Baud.

HTH!
    I have experience tuning with Android device (on MegaSquirt) so let me give you my opinion on that. I like to use my phone for data logging. Its the smallest thing I have that can data log and get the job done. For data logging, you really don't need more so for that alone, the app is really nice (and you get the extra sensors logged as well which is a cool bonus as you said) For tuning, on a phone, it's a major pain. It's still cool to be able to do little tune tweak (adjusting idle cells of VE table for example) with it but I wouldn't start a full tune using that.

On the other hand, a 10" tablet is pretty much the same size as most netbook. I also have the keyboard dock for my tablet which make it a touch screen netbook pretty much. It's apparently very similar to a laptop as both of you guys seemed a bit confused about it :P That make tuning a lot easier then on a phone and the touch screen and everything else of the Android device make it a great tuning platform. If this app get full tuning capability at some point and you have a 10" tablet, you could end up liking this setup for then you laptop, trust me :)

So already, it has advantages TunerPro doesn't have like logging extra sensors and portability being the two main one IMO but of course it's not a TunerPro competitor, just a great complement.

The 160 baud is indeed an issue. I don't have a 160 baud ECU so I cannot test that and I would assume it doesn't currently work.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Yes, I have, the last few looked like a laptop was used for testing... That's why I asked.
    Fair enough, I understand the confusion :P Trust me, it is an Android tablet (running Android 4.2) docked into a keyboard :P

I also have a '7747 ($42/160 baud) ECM that is set up to be used with my test bench, one of the many ECMs I can bench test. ;)

Fuel Injected!
    You could test but I'm 99% sure it won't work :/ Does that ECU use the same harness as a '7730 ? Or you have a different test harness for every ECU you have ? :|

You could test but I'm 99% sure it won't work :/ Does that ECU use the same harness as a '7730 ? Or you have a different test harness for every ECU you have ? :|
    I have a different harness made up for each ECM I use, other than ones that can be shared. I.E. the '7730 and '7749 can use the same harness, but they can also use the same codes, so the other reason to switch between them is to test for actual hardware differences, which there are a couple. The '7747 uses a different harness than the '7730, different than the '7165, different than the '7427, different than the '7060...

Fuel Injected!
    Damn it! Is there any 160 baud ECU that use the same harness as the '7730 ?

Damn it! Is there any 160 baud ECU that use the same harness as the '7730 ?
    Nope.

The '7747 would be the most popular to be used with something like this.

The only other one that might have a following is the '7148 that is in the old Turbo Regals and Grand Nationals (also 1989 TTA).

Fuel Injected!
    So I would basically need this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-92-CHEV...-/390647507497

Meh, I guess I will wait :P

Super Moderator
    could go full-banana and get a '7165, which i THINK is the only ECM that did both 160 and 8192. it's actually pretty "easy" to make any ECM do 160 baud communications though.... thank GM's engineers for setting up a 160Hz loop for that one.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah, that could be an option as well. :) I guess I need to get the ball rolling with this app and then I can spend some more money on test equipment.

Oh, and some random app progress, I just added a G-force indicator (as well as data logging G-force), sweet!