Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Thread: ALDLdroid

Not sure what your long term plans are... but I have an Android and a Innovate OT2 with Bluetooth. Only has an app for iPhone though.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Hey Joe, sure lets do this so I can register on another forum as 87Fox....

Mark, not sure what you mean ? You would like support for that in the app ? I'm not too familiar with the OT2 but that's for ODB2, isn't it ?

Fuel Injected!
    what are you planning to use for data cable and transmission.one of our forum guys has had aldl being sent via wifi using an old router as an aldl cable and comms unit as well as logging and as track telemtry device
    http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtop...5&hilit=router
    Last edited by delcowizzid; 09-23-2013 at 08:14 AM.

I'm curious too on what will connect the vehicle to the droid device.
    I have a samsung galaxy S4, and a $0D 16197427 based MPFI system. Not sure if any of those can be used to test. I have a moates autoprom for datalogging and chip burning, and thats it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Good question. For the first app version, I want three options:

- ALDL to Bluetooth
    - ALDL to USB (FTDI only)
    - ALDL to Serial + FTDI Serial to USB adapter (there is no difference for the app for this option and the one above)

With Bluetooth, you just connect the cable in the ALDL port and pair the Android device to it and you're good to go. With USB, same idea, you connect the cable in your Android device and you're good. Note that Android 3.0+ is required and USB host mode need to be supported on the device. That is usually the case for most device but some need to be "rooted" for it to work.

http://www.reddevilriver.com/ALDL_Bluetooth.php
    http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html

I bought these two cables linked above so I will be able to confirm those two work with the app. I'm pretty sure Craig Moates's cables are FTDI based as well, we can confirm with him pretty easily. I could add support for Prolific USB chip as well but the Android drivers are so poorly written that it's not really worth the trouble, they usually give a terrible experience from my experience.

Basically, if someone already has an FTDI based ALDL USB cable and an Android device supporting USB host mode, all they will need is the app and they are good to go.

Most Android devices these days also have GPS, which mean latitude/longitude, speed, etc etc logged into your data logs. Most devices also have triple axis accelerometer, that would also be added to your data log. That mean it will be possible to have a data log displayed in a chart on one side of the screen while Google maps is displayed on the other side of the screen showing where you where at that point in the log. The possibility are pretty much endless for this app.

I will post pictures of my bench test as soon as I have it setup for you guys that still don't get how this will work.

Does that make sense ? :)

I can confirm that the Moates ALDL Xtreme is FTDI based. I'm 99% sure the Auto Prom is as well, and should work the same in pass-through mode, I can test that once I get my Android device, I may have one coming through a friend, even if it just to use to test with. :)
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Just finished proper support for landscape / portrait for the dashboard. Since the screen ratio is so different from landscape to portrait, it wasn't worth the trouble to try to re-size stuff so it looks right. Landscape and portrait have their own indicators list for each pages now. Default dashboards from the ADS (and eventually ADX) file are build for both landscape and portrait and from there you can customize it whatever way you want.

The dashboard stuff has progressed quite a bit since the video (especially the edit mode), so we will see if I feel like posting another video soon or I will wait til next week or something, when I will have comms and real data to display :)

I'm hoping 2 weeks max from now to get comms working and some data displayed, then probably another 2 weeks to polish everything and finish data logging functionality, logging of Android sensors (GPS, etc) data, etc.

What about a version that doesn't use the Android sensors, if it proves to take a while to integrate those? While I think that's a neat idea to include, it wouldn't break me if they weren't there, at least on an initial release.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I want the first version to be somewhat nice, despite being a first version :P But seriously, that's pretty easy to add. I have already some code in the app for that.

What will be a bigger PITA is the licensing crap. This app obviously won't be free with all the work required to make all this work, I have to include all the license stuff in it (never did that part before). Distributing it for free would mean killing a good part of my motivation to work on the app. For the price I will sell it for, it's not even worth the effort really. I would like to give the app for free for a few selected testers but I have a feeling this will over-complicate the process, so I might as well just tell you guys to go ahead and pay (unfortunately) but I will obviously help with whatever problem you're running into.

By the way, how much are people willing to pay for an app like this ? Please keep in mine the super small market and the effort required to make this happen.

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    I'm not sure if the silence is a good thing or not :P

Anyway, I worked on that licensing stuff tonight to get that out of my way... It's mostly complete, ~250 lines of code later. I was mostly interested in trying to find a way to have you guys test the app first (before paying) and making sure that it connect to your ECU fine. I don't want anybody being pissed because they payed for something that they can't use. Unfortunately, even if I'm supporting TunerPro files, I cannot guaranty it will work with all of them (actually I'm can guaranty it wont :P). So what I can do is distribute the APK file (the file to install the app on your Android device) and let you try to connect to your ECU. Once you're connected and confirmed working, then I prompt the Play store thingy and you can pay for the app. Once that's done, you have full access to everything obviously.

I've set the price to be 19.99$ CAD. Note that Google Play take 30% of it right away so I only get 13.99$ really. I know it's not cheap for an app but it's important to understand this isn't a random game app that will be downloaded by million of users. Even at that price, I'm afraid I won't be able to sell enough to just pay back the stuff I had to buy to make this happen (bench testing stuff mostly and the 25$ for the Google Play account). If everything works well, I will probably just reinvest the money into more testing hardware to make that app even better. Think of it as you contribution to help make the app better really :)

Super Moderator
    if you'd like, i could shed light on some mode4 commands where applicable, that would add some interesting functionality.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

FWIW, I can test about 2 dozen or so different masks across about 5 or 6 different ECMs on my test bench alone, plus several cars with other ECMs. I just need that Android device. ;)

Fuel Injected!
    Robert, I definitely have you in mind for any ECM firmware side related questions :) (I have no idea what the hell mode4 is, haha :))

Chris, that would be really cool if you can do that!

Also, I my two ALDL cables (Bluetooth and USB) are at the post office according to the tracking numbers as well as the ALDL connector (car side). I'm just waiting for the ECM pig tail pretty much now :)

Yeah, just let me try to get my hands on an Android and we can go from there.

I can test stock and modified (enhanced/patched) code. The one I'm really interested in getting to work is $12P, which is an enhanced Australian code that will run on the '165 ECM.

Expect an incoming PM, I JUST thought of a cool feature that would be extremely handy, might take some work to include though.

Fuel Injected!
    Got the stuff for my bench test tonight, started putting a wiring adapter together, connected the JimStim and it worked first try :O The LED are flashing for the injectors drivers anyway... For some reason, the ALDL part doesn't work tho, still have to figure out why. I'm trying using USB with TunerPro.

Currently I have this:

Pin A (Black with white stripe) to DB37 pin 9 (ground)
    Pin M (Orange) to A9
    Pin B (White with black stripe) to E12

Anything wrong with that ? TunerPro say "Hardware not found". Maybe its a driver issue or something ? Should it say something about hardware with just a USB ALDL cable ?

Last edited by 3400tZ; 09-27-2013 at 05:52 AM.