Thread: ok being good new guy here!

Fuel Injected!

ok being good new guy here!

New staring to plan for converting my 1985 K5 over to FI. I am sick of the carb when climbing and staring after the truck sets for a while.

So I will start with a question is a 1994 system a good one to start with or better to get something pre 1992. I can get the complete system from my neighbors wrecked 1994 truck for around $200 or maybe the complete engine for $500~600. other choice is Pick-a-Part not sure what complete system will cost there, but they are having a 50% off this weekend.
    Any help would be appericated.

The '94 system should work very well for you. I wouldn't go older unless you have no other choice. The '94 will have a faster data rate and the possibility of extra stuff like electric fan control, WBO2 inclusion in the data stream and many more parameters for tuning. If your engine is not far from stock then it should be a very easy tune, either way.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

I like the 94 TBI system. I strongly recommend using a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), a 2000 pulses per mile (2K) will work great. The challenging part about tuning a 93 ~ 95 TBI computer would be the two timing tables and two fuel tables ( Near Idle / Off Idle). Having two fuel / spark tables is very useful for an off-road vehicle, especially for low speed / near idle driving conditions!

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

I like the 94 TBI system. I strongly recommend using a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), a 2000 pulses per mile (2K) will work great. The challenging part about tuning a 93 ~ 95 TBI computer would be the two timing tables and two fuel tables ( Near Idle / Off Idle). Having two fuel / spark tables is very useful for an off-road vehicle, especially for low speed / near idle driving conditions!

dave w
    since I am just getting started on the idea of a project how much tuning is there in going from a 350 carb to a 350 tbi if i get all the stuff from the same car?

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    since I am just getting started on the idea of a project how much tuning is there in going from a 350 carb to a 350 tbi if i get all the stuff from the same car?
    The 350 carburetor engine has camshaft that is most likely .390 / .410 lift and the 350 TBI engine most likely had a camshaft of .350 / .384 lift. Not a HUGE difference. The stock 350 TBI chip will run a carburetor engine converted to TBI. With some TBI chip changes to the timing table, and fuel table changes the 350 carburetor engine will run much BETTER! I would recommend getting the conversion done first, then see how the engine runs, before doing a chip "tune".

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I am also thinking about taking the whole motor and dropping it in. Can get it for under $600

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    I am also thinking about taking the whole motor and dropping it in. Can get it for under $600
    That is an option, depends on how much work / time / money you're willing to afford? The changes needed to a TBI chip / TBI System when retro fitted to a carburetor engine are much easier (labor wise ) than removing / replacing a complete engine. The chip tuning is optional, as long as the carburetor engine is 100% factory stock.

In my area, $600 would likely be enough money to buy a good used LS 5.3 liter engine with computer and wiring harness.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Same here,for the price the guy next door is asking for his whole engine you would be $100 or so off an LS engine.At the pick and pull you could get the engine for $150,the harness for $25 and the ECM for $15 probably (transmissions -$99)
    I would load the truck up with tools and hit the %50 off day or talk some sense into the neighbor,his price is way too high unless it is an almost new motor with all new electronics or something.
    I've been known to buy whole parts cars for conversions for just what he wants for the electronics/fuel injection stuff.

Fuel Injected!
    OK going with the Pick a part deal. I really don't want to deal with the neighbors whole truck part out. (if any body needs any 1994 chevy truck parts let me know), But he is recharging my 92 buick wagon A/C with R12 this weekend for free.

Fuel Injected!
    Got everything off a 1988 truck, so all the wire lengths are the same as my truck(no shortening) got is all for 110. Now to cleanup parts and start working on the harness?