Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still getting to know tunerpro. 1992 lt1 First data log

Electronic Ignition!

Still getting to know tunerpro. 1992 lt1 First data log

Hello everyone, I know anything I have to ask has probably been asked to death before so instead of asking a string of newb questions I figured I'd post up my data log to see if I could get any feedback on where I should start/focus. I've been scouring forums for a while now and still feel a bit lost. I know I'm probably running lean due to the 1.6 rockers/comp springs I've installed, that and my bpm is up at 9 for the idle and in the 30's for WOT. I also have an injector bank 2 error and an injector drive error that comes and goes at some point during the datalog. I also know the QDM circuit 3 error is due to tapping the ground for a fan switch (I plan on removing this now that I can adjust my fan temps, in fact so far that's the only thing I've modified on the bin file I got online for this ecu). I also have my ac compressor unplugged since it seized on me earlier the same day I did this datalog which is probably the cause for those erres, i think?. Only other mod I've done to this car is the throttle body coolant bypass. Oh yeah, it's a 1992 corvette auto 2.59 rear end. Hope this is enough info to get some input. One last note to mention is that I have yet to burn or install the new chip yet, this data log is still off the stock prom having already driven around for a solid half an hour in 100 degree heat. I started the log right before I pull out onto the street and Punched it through 1st gear, I then drove around and randomly punching it once to record a downshift acceleration.

Also, for some reason when I try to play this datalog on my desktop all the values in my item's list of tunerpro are set to N and I'm not sure why. I'm pretty sure I have the desktop tuner pro set up the same as the one on my laptop. that being said if this doesn't read for you I can try to upload it again directly from my laptop, But I'm thinking its the tuner pro on my desktop not the bin file thats the issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Leviathancj7; 09-18-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Bump?

I'm mainly looking for the best place to start with making my car run in the proper AF range, I know from the datalog that it's probably running pretty rich, which doesnt maker much sense to me being as I put the rockers on and it should be breathing more than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathancj7 View Post
    I know from the datalog that it's probably running pretty rich...
    How did you come to this conclusion? Do you have a Wide Band O2 sensor?

Because what I see in data log is it is within the factory Narrow Band O2 sensor boundries for correction. Actually running a little lean at high RPM, but within correction boundaries.

There's some differences in 92 to 93 LT1 XDF for modifying the chip/bin. I just looked at the 92 and there's not much there? 93 on the other hand has had a lot of work done to it.

There are also 2 differant ADX files listed for 92-93 but notes seem to indicate they both start with ALDL 172.ds file so some things may need to change. But we do have a worked on $DA3 ADX data log file that would be a better start, what files are you using?

Finding out if the errors are correct in files would be the first thing, no reason to data log and try to tune with errors set. But I don't know what is accurate for your 92 LT1?

There's a lot of work that goes into making these files and not many Corvette guys have done the work or if they did not shared back. Here's a couple files I've worked on with others that may help you get going?
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    See. That's exactly why I posted it. I wasn't sure if that was within spec because all the info I've been able to find is pretty random and garbled. I can't say for sure which files I used, I'm pretty sure they were base files from this site for my car. Those files you posted should work for my 92? Cause if so I'll redo the log using them and see if its any different. And lean high end makes sense, that's what I figured it should be with the rockers. I was going to try bumping the fuel along the entire band using the charts to start with, and maybe lower The knock retard since most of that is probably from the rollers. Another thing worth noting, is that the previous owner purchased a refurbished ECU a while back. He said he swapped the prom since it came without one. so I cannot be 100 percent certain if the actual ecu is from a 92 or 93.
    Last edited by Leviathancj7; 09-22-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Super Moderator
    larger ratio rockers with no other modifications would likely hurt VE a little at lower RPM and help at higher RPM, causing a rich condition at lower speeds and lean at higher speeds.

so, i'd say what you're seeing is normal.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, well that's definitely a relief. I'm sorry to be asking such beginner questions, but I'm finding it hard to pin point which reading and the range of said reading I should be looking at. I know the O2 sensors will give me a voltage output but I'm not sure how to get the AF ratio from that. Also, From what I've read the main chart I should be tooling around with is the Vlumetric efficiency vs rpm vs map chart correct?

Super Moderator
    if you're using a narrowband sensor, BLM and INT are what you'll be using to evaluate and base fueling changes on. those are the PCM's reaction to the O2 sensor signal and directly modify the injector BPW to achieve the stoich AFR(when it is being targeted).

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, And what range goal should I want the BLM and INT to be in when I make my adjustments?

Electronic Ignition!
    Also, Is the Injector Base Pulse Width the same as the flow rate? The only parameter I've found that has to do with the injectors directly is the flow rate Scalar.

Super Moderator
    128 on both, +/- whatever number you feel satisfied with. i keep tweaking until about +/- 3, though INT swinging up and down is unavoidable in some applications. if in closed loop and BLM allowed to move and after being in a situation long enough for BLM to have adapted and still within that range, i would be happy with it.

unless you have some perfectly dialed in temperature, altitude and density adjustments, you'll see day to day variations anyways, especially with humidity changes.

injector base pulse width is what the PCM is actually commanding of the injectors. not a flowrate value, it is a "time injectors are open per injection event" value.

Electronic Ignition!
    See I knew the Base pulse was the time it pulsed open for, I just wasn't sure if the Scalar for flow rate was something I could use to effect Base Pulse since I could not find where to make an adjustment to the base pulse directly. I figure the flow rate is to let the ECU know what injector flow it's working with so it can control it properly through use of the proper base pulse.

I'm going to take a snapshot of all the Parameters I have, I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Electronic Ignition!
    Tuner Pro Parameter list.png
    This is all of my Options expanded. If I'm missing something on this list I can try to use the DA3 file EagleMark posted, I just didn't want to until someone told me whether or not It was safe to use it on the 92.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    How did you come to this conclusion? Do you have a Wide Band O2 sensor?

Because what I see in data log is it is within the factory Narrow Band O2 sensor boundries for correction. Actually running a little lean at high RPM, but within correction boundaries.

There's some differences in 92 to 93 LT1 XDF for modifying the chip/bin. I just looked at the 92 and there's not much there? 93 on the other hand has had a lot of work done to it.

There are also 2 differant ADX files listed for 92-93 but notes seem to indicate they both start with ALDL 172.ds file so some things may need to change. But we do have a worked on $DA3 ADX data log file that would be a better start, what files are you using?

Finding out if the errors are correct in files would be the first thing, no reason to data log and try to tune with errors set. But I don't know what is accurate for your 92 LT1?

There's a lot of work that goes into making these files and not many Corvette guys have done the work or if they did not shared back. Here's a couple files I've worked on with others that may help you get going?

Ok, so I just checked into the files you gave me and Wow, Literally triple the parameter options. I didn't realize how much mine was lacking. My 4 questions are

1: Is it safe to use the da3 on my 92 vette? From what I gathered the da3 has the same setup as the da2 just with a less aggressive base tune? No clue if that's correct. I just don't want to try modifying one parameter and have it actually messing something else up because it's the wrong configuration.

2: What is the A172.ds file you posted? I've never seen that file type before.

3: If I can not use the DA3 file how do I go about modifying my da2 to give me the parameters I want to modify? I'm willing to put the work in myself and actually would prefer this route just because My goal is to understand all of this on a deeper level anyway.

And finally 4: Is there a way i can check if my ECU is from a 92 or 93/f-body or y-body? Before I get too deep I want to know what I'm working with, The previous owner ordered a refurbished ecu without a prom (he had to swap his prom into it) online to fix the ecu not reading an o2 sensor, but I can't be positive if he got a 92 or 93 or even a Y-body ecu since so many people assume they are identical.
    Last edited by Leviathancj7; 09-22-2013 at 09:52 PM.

1. I doubt it! Or there would not be two of them. But you may be able to write a 93 bin file to your chip and use the more defined $Da3 XDF/mask.

2. The ALDL 172.ds file is all the information GM gave for what is in the data stream, this is the information we use to make the ADX files in TunerPro. TunerPRo is wide open to make and add information without limitations.

For now your only issue is fueling changes do to the 1.6 rockers. So why not start there and learn one of the first things a tuner needs to do and get the "Volumetric Efficiency Vs. RPM Vs. MAP " tables dialed in?

This write up will give you enough of an idea on how to do that!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-data-Tutorial!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    BIN and XDF must match, otherwise problems WILL result.