Thread: Looking for advice on VW Obd1 project

Carb and Points!

Looking for advice on VW Obd1 project

Been collecting junk and parts for a while now...
    Recently started jotting down ideas for a eaton M62 supercharged VW 2.0L ABA build for 94 Golf.
    Browsing the web for support and not finding much support in the ECU modification area. Seems like some guys are emulating with the ostrich setup somehow... found a vendor with chip holder for programming...but
    Came back to this forum just to see if I could find anything for the application and now im considering a GM ecu retrofit.
    I alread have the tuner rt and autoprom device and a little experience from my 86 Buick GN.... got a few P3, P4 ecu and harnesses laying around....
    Perhaps someone here has "been there, done that" and can offer some advice? ECU PN, BIN, etc...
    I really dont have tons of time to learn the VW programming quirks and dont want to have to reinvest in hardware/software for the project.
    All help is appreciated
    Best regards

I haven't used a Delco ECM on a VW but I have on other engines.

I did look into VW tuning a while ago, because there was someone that wanted me to tune his Turbo VR6 swap. But it turned out that he just didn't understand the function of the parts he was given in the assemeled kit, and just needed to add the FMU and a couple other parts for it to be correct.

Anyway, a OBD1 Delco ECM has the potential to run just about any engine out there, basically as long as its a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder, and even firing order. Custom code opens up other possibilities, but it's easiest to stick with stock code to start with.

If your VW engine has a dizzy, it will likely have a magnetic trigger that can be used to trigger a GM ICM (Ignition Control Module), that will allow the ECM to have an RPM reference input and control timing. I find that ICM is often the most difficult part to interface, and is where I start when looking at a conversion. Alternatively DIS can be added, and the use of an external trigger wheel will take care of ignition trigger duties to the DIS ICM.

Fuel injectors will also be something to consider. Most Delco ECMs run only saturated with "High Z" injectors. A few will run Low Z injectors in Peak 'n' Hold mode, and IIRC are limited to 4 cylinders in this mode, without internal ECM modifications.

The next hardest part is idle control, and sensor interfacing. When it comes to the IAC and TPS you can retro fit a GM TB to the engine, this will give you a TPS and the proper stepper IAC. Though there are other ways to do it. You can usually remove an existing IAC/Idle valve/etc and replace it with a stepper motor IAC using an adapter block.

Other sensors are pretty straight forward to install.

Since you want to run a supercharger, look at any of the ECMs that you have that will run on a boosted application, such as a '7749 running $58. This was a stock application for the turbo 2.0L from '87 to '90, and also the Syclone/Typhoon from '91 to '93. The turbo 2.0L also used Low-Z injectors, without knowing what you have it's hard to set you in a direction here. $58 will also run on a '7730 and '7727, but will not be able to run Low-Z injectors. Well there's a possibility they will run up to 4, but has not been tested.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the prompt reply
    I will be taking a look at what PN# ecus I have to see if they are compatible. Based on what you are saying the 7749 on a $58 bin would be a strong candidate for the project. I want to have decent data logging speed and think the 7749 should deliver that too....P4, memcal?
    On a side note,
    The vw is bosch motronic 2.9 i think, has MAF, hall effect dizzy,magnetic crank sensor, seperate ignition module w/single coil, detached 2 pin IAC, high impedance injectors, single knock sensor.
    The supercharger has electromagnetic clutch, like an ac compressor. Havent decided if i will run it, on all the time, or put it on a rpm or load based window trigger....
    Will keep you posted as progress develops....
    Thanks
    Last edited by junkyarddawg; 09-15-2013 at 08:28 PM.

I'm building a GM system for a Toyota 4 cylinder right now with DIS.

But your ECU is listed on the TunerPro RT website with XDF and a link to bins which may have all the info you need to tweek it?
    Scroll down and look for VW.
    http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    I pulled the chip out of the ecu and read it out into my autoprom buffer then saved it and tried to look at it with the xdf from the website. Values are not making sense. The chip is a 28 pin but not sure which chip type format to open it with. I have the chip oriented in the zif with the notch up and the chip down and tried all the preset chip options in tuner pro rt under the prom IO options list for my autoprom. Will try to determine which chip type it is and if the autoprom will support it.

Carb and Points!
    The xdf file from the tunerpro site seems to save as a html file even when it is labeled as .xdf and opens as a text file, not sure how to work around it, will keep trying as time permits.

Super Moderator
    XDF is expecting a 64KB BIN, so reading as a 27C512 should work.

also, there is nearly nothing to those XDFs...
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    Been using tunerpro V4, just opened the bin and xdf in V5 and things are starting to make more sense. Looks like I need to step up the V5 version for this application.

Carb and Points!
    Loaded the stock chip to the autoprom buffer using the 27C512 as you suggested and it formatted the file as needed for the XDF. I just had to make the addressing start and stop values match in the "chip addressing" and "buffer addressing" boxes. I think im now moving in the right direction because the values are matching up on my compare screens, between the bin from the tprt website and the one i sucked out of my ecus stock prom.
    Thanks for the help.....