Thread: TCII not changing VIN

Fuel Injected!

TCII not changing VIN

I can't get TCII to change the VIN on a .cal i'm trying to load.
    I've got it on a bench harness,it is reading and loading okay but it will not take a new vin.
    I've changed it in TC,I've changed it in hex editor,i've changed it as a bin and as a cal.
    I've changed it with winflash,i've changed it in HxD-i'm about to have a cow.

Not sure what is up with it,every time I change and reload it just comes back up on the vehicle info as the same V6 VIN.
    Not even sure where it came from,must have been on the guy's pcm. I think I just labeled the OS number in the file and saved/programmed over.
    Generally I don't care what VIN says,so must have kept the previous VIN but now I can't change it.

Does the serial info have anything to do with that?

Do you have both 12 volt and key on power to your bench setup?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Banned
    OBD II Tuner does not change the VIN. It is done with WinFlash ONLY

Fuel Injected!
    Yes,I have key-on and 12v on my bench harness,though they run to a common feed.I used Winflash to change the VIN as well as attempting to change VIN manually (in tuner,HxD,TP) and nothing has worked. Everything was done using full flash as well.
    I read it out using Efi to confirm and still not changed.
    Not sure what's up,doublechecked and i'm updated on winflash and TCII.
    I'm using an optima to power the bench harness,plenty of voltage and fully charged.

I'm going to try just programming a completely different .cal and see what happens.

But does your bench harness have a Key On switch as well as power? After programming the Key On switch needs to be turned off, while power is still on! Then the VIN change will be kept. If both powers are off after program? Then no go!

Then VIN has to have same amount of digits, can't be one short...

EDIT: I think there's something wrong with your .cal file as I flashed it in a PCM and tried to change VIN and it will not change, even one digit at end?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Look at the pcm serial via hex,is there amything there?

Fuel Injected!
    Okay,I just switched pcm's and am using another.But I wanted to try it in the vehicle since it has the proper ign/batt power.
    And sure enough mark it finally worked.
    What gets me is I tried to change it on the vehicle last night pretty sure and got nada,must be remembering incorrectly.
    I will rewire my bench harness,it has an off/on switch and that is it. I will just swap the switch to the ign circuits and wire the 12v direct.
    Never had this issue,but I also generally only do VATS stuff on the bench usually and like mentioned before don't mess with ViN much. (I stay away from mailorder work,if I possibly screw something up I like to put hands on tools to verify/diag in person).

Thanks for the tip.

Carb and Points!
    I had same problem just last week. It had been about a year since I had used my bench top cable, and I had forgotten that I had to use switch on cable instead of switch on power supply.
    I thought something was wrong with TCII, but after a couple messages back and forth from TC, I realized that I needed to shut cable switch, cause he said that part of flash was after switch was off.
    I tried it and worked.
    I had just forgotten procedure.
    Maybe that might help.

Fuel Injected!
    Sorry,thought I had updated this.
    I rewired my bench harness as well and mark was right on.
    Bypassed the battery constant around switch and everything was gravy.