Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a good Truck Muffler. Suggestions?

Fuel Injected!

Choosing a good Truck Muffler. Suggestions?

Hi, i'll be re-doing my exhaust soon, already have the headers and y-pipe picked out. The y-pipe is going to run to a 3 inch 4 ft pipe then i'm throwing a muffler there. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the muffler? it is a 5.7 liter 350 motor. I don't want it to be too loud. Just a nice medium sound, until you step on it and get a nice loud/low rumble. I've heard a lot of good things about flowmaster, magnaflow, etc. Just don't know which direction to go.
    Thanks in advance, Chris

Fuel Injected!
    While they cost a few dollars i've always loved the flowmaster 50's.Nice deep rumble that isn't obnoxious but wakes up when you hammer it.

Fuel Injected!
    Alrighty i'll take a look at em. Thanks again.
    , Chris

Magnaflow

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah i hear magnaflow is pretty sweet but i was looking at their mufflers, but it's a little hard to make a decision i guess because i couldn't find any info on what flavors they make like flowmaster's site. I mean are all magnaflows the same for the most part or is there a trick to picking the right one?
    , Chris

Fuel Injected!
    rebuilt a few motors but still new to hunting down the right exhaust... lol

Fuel Injected!
    Youtube is an excellent resource for finding an exhaust note you like lol.

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah, that's what i've been doing for the past hr or two haha. Could only find a few flowmaster and magnaflows on a platform similar to mine (5.7, no cats, headers), plus i think i'm just going to have it dump right underneath the bed, just before the axle. So i'm thinking it'll prolly be a little louder anyway just because it won't have to go through another 5ft and bends to exit. I'll prolly end up with either the 40 or 50 series flowmaster or a magnaflow but till then i'll just keep looking lol.
    Thanks, Chris

I have a magnaflow on my cherokee, and a dynomax on my YJ. I really like both of them.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Yeah, that's what i've been doing for the past hr or two haha. Could only find a few flowmaster and magnaflows on a platform similar to mine (5.7, no cats, headers), plus i think i'm just going to have it dump right underneath the bed, just before the axle. So i'm thinking it'll prolly be a little louder anyway just because it won't have to go through another 5ft and bends to exit. I'll prolly end up with either the 40 or 50 series flowmaster or a magnaflow but till then i'll just keep looking lol.
    Thanks, Chris
    You won't like the noise and DRONE of exhaust dumping under bed.

On the 88 up you can replace the muffler then go out the side in front of rear tire. That's what I'm going to do on my 98 as it has duel exhaust to muffler, then single tailpipe. So replace dual in, single out muffler with dual in dual out muffler.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Well right now i have a dual exhaust (dynomax) set-up that dumps under the bed, it's not bad, but the system and headers are so rusty that they are leaking all over. Hence the new system. Flowtech makes a decent looking header ($142) and y-pipe for it ($149). So really i'm on the fence right now. Its between a flowmaster cat-back kit or spending less and getting a muffler closer to my ideal sound and having it dump under the bed. Leaning towards a magnaflow and just having it dump...
    ,Chris

We had exhaust that dumped under the bed in front of the axle on the '71 Chev. Will NEVER do that again. The exhaust was so loud and had such a drone, that it was just not pleasant to drive. Mind you the truck is only about 6" off the ground, so that made it worse, but once we put the exhaust out the rear of the truck, it was MUCH better, and sounded better even from outside of the truck.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    hmmm, maybe i will do the cat-back kit then. It would look pretty cool with two 3in tips coming out the back. Only problem with all of this is that i probably won't be able to weld, it so it'll be clamped.
    ,Chris

Fuel Injected!
    So i think i'm gonna go with the flowmaster cat back system its around $495. But it should end up pretty cool, i'll probably order it on thursday.

Here is the link if anyone is interested:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-17463

Thanks for all the input guys, Chris

There's really no reason for dual exhaust after a single! Except looks? Where you really need dual exhaust is from engine to muffler, this is where exhaust is hot and as it cools it takes up less volume. Look at a 98 Vortec truck, it has dual exhaust, dual CAT to a single HUGE muffler then exits as single...

All that said there's not much gain in HP from running headers and dual exhaust on a stock TBI motor as they don't have any HP at higher RPM where dual exhaust is needed. Actually the small ports and small exhaust in these stock TBI motors is what helps them with all the low RPM torque. Same as the old IH motors, man they ran great on single exhaust, put dual exhaust on and it lost all it's low end torque.

Back to your rusted headers... it all comes down to cost! Cheap headers suck! I had a set of Headman Elite ceramic coated headers. Not only did they fit right, never had a leak or blown out gasket, no spark plug fitment issues or burnt wires, but they lasted forever and even looked like new a few years later. The ceramic coating not only protects the metal but kept heat in exhaust and under hood temps were much cooler, also kept the heat in so O2 sensor stayed hot during idle and stayed Closed Loop.

There's all sorts of ways to spend money on these trucks, but $500 on muffler and dual tailpipes is not one that is going to help. I'd spend the $500 on good headers first... if the engine was going to get upgrades later that would need headers...

-= =-