Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy question

Fuel Injected!

new guy question

run down of the project: truck is a 74 Chevy K5 Blazer motor is out of a 91 Chevy K5 with factory TBI. so far I have modified the wiring harness according to hamiltion IH website http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48769 I have purchased the aldl to usb cable and burn 2 from moates as well as chips and other parts related to do this. I have had the truck running a little I got it to idel but had fuel problems. I purchased an E2000 fuel pump from ebay and that fixed my fuel problem. I am not running an in-tank pump. I was able to drive the truck about a mile to a friends house the other night and it had no power you step in to it and nothing and it would die. I also had to disconnect the ESC wire in order to start it before but as of last night now the truck will only start if I hold the throttle wide open and spit and shudder and die within about 10-20 seconds. So my thoughts as of right now are I'm going to do a reset of the IAC. I have a timing light and I am right at 0 on the 2 o'clock timing mark when cranked over by starter. I am getting injector spray and spark. any help would be much appreciated. I am using a factory tune with EGR delete. and that is about it. I have a heated o2 in the drivers side collector (I have headers) the only sensor I don't have is a VSS. also my IAC is reading at max all the time. so 165 and red numbers on the data dash readout screen.
    Last edited by budweiser_man; 09-11-2013 at 12:31 AM.
    74 Chevy K5 Blazer 350TBI/SM465/205

What is your fuel pressure?

What is your base timing set at?

A VSS will drastically help with drive-ability.

The clear flood mode needed to start could indicate that that you may have a leaky injector.

Unless the EGR delete in the bin was royally screwed up, this is not a bin or ECM issue, but a mechanical issue. You could install a factory EPROM and test as well. The EGR being present or not will not effect start. Usually only part throttle cruise.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    fuel pressure; unknow. picked up a gauge today and will find out today. my plan is to get a VSS, going to go with the output on the tranny that goes to the speedo. the clear flood says ok on the tuner screen. with the IAC reading 165 will that effect the starting?

The IAC will in most if not all cases I have seen park at a high value, as an example, my car parks at 160 when the key is turned off to help starting, then move the IAC closer to closed once the engine started.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Pretty sure 145 is max on the $42 ECM and should be there when you start, then drop. If it is 165 all the time, like when running? Need to check wiring and the IAC... if OK then throttle blades are closed shut which is horrible for idle...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Hooked up fuel pressure gauge, about 35psi before TB

Probably the return line blocked with that much pressure.... you sure your gauge is accurate? I'm not sure that pump will do that high?

Get it down to 13-15 and things will be much better!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I didn't see mention of what fuel pump was used, but even a stock pump will go that high.

Fuel pressure should be between 12 and 14 PSIG, many people like 13 PSIG for their TBI systems.

The excessively high pressure is going to be a huge cause of your issues, if not the entire cause.

Fuel Injected!
    Truck is ideling, BLM is 144 but bounces from 128 to 159 it thinks it is flooded. The IAC is unplugged at the moment. And spark advance on tuner pro keeps going to 40 and no difference in running. Than spark advance goes back to 0 and sweeps againto 40. And is not ideling too hot either

Fuel Injected!
    I am using a e2000 pump from a 89 ford. And I am not totally sure the gauge is correct. Is is something I built out of air line parts

BLM over 128 means that fuel is being added, in other words, the ECM believes the engine to be running lean.

Plug the IAC in, why is it unplugged?

The sweeping SA is odd, could be an incorrect parameter in the ADX, and is really looking at a different value.

Fuel Injected!
    Will only start if it is WOT and run like shit. I had it running kind of. Back firing on drivers side. The IAC was disconnected. Rryed to set idel bounced around alot. Turned it off and reconnected the IAC and I still must hold it WOT and have to feather the throttle to it going let off and it dies

Fuel Injected!
    I might have the wrong files. What .bin and adx should I be using. The only thing done to this truck is egr delete and headers. Other than that stock from a 91 K5.

the spark advance in tunerprort will only be correct if the patch is applied to the bin
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Plugged a stock computer in and still gettting the same result. So it is something in the mech I think. Timing is now set at center of timing chain cover as 0. I have tryed replacing the dizzy with another one I have. With the stock computer in it is ideling at 800 with the IAC connected and the ESC disconnected. There is something with the timing wrong I think. Bad dizzy, advanceer, spark advance, or other? Injector duty cycle with the factory compur is going crazy at 300+ so between timing and fuel pressure.