Thread: 1981 CCC

Electronic Ignition!

1981 CCC

Crazy as it sounds, I'm interested in TUNING an '81 Z28 CCC car? Currently tuning a '91 ZR1 vette and '89 GTA, w/ TPRT and moates stuff.

Are '81 bins available and are there forums where folks like me can catch up on others trying to tune pre-OBD1 vehicles?

Thanks!

Administrator
    81 is not pre-OBD1. It is OBD1. The earliest calibrations were burned onto OTP, one time program chips. The pinouts don't match most of the more common chips you're used to and the chip can't be reburned. So there are very few calibrations that have been read, and fewer still are the chips that can be burned with a new one and plugged right in. That's not to say you can't use a newer chip with some creativity but it does help explain why there aren't many people playing with it.

There aren't many settings to change. Timing is the big one but I believe you'll find that slow processor speed affects response time to sensors and you might not be able to dial an aggressive curve in like a newer vehicle. Maybe you could try using a later ecm with the injector control circuit operating the mixture solenoid? I can say that when I was in GM school years ago, the GM engineers I was speaking with responded to my questions about tuning CCC with "Why bother? Get a Holley and a good MSD and make real power."

There might be some calibrations around and I just might have a partial disassembly of a similar ecm. I'll try and remember to look.

I agree with the why bother statement, but I think I can answer that question, sort of.

Here in Ontario, even though the car would be pre-'88 (1988 is the cut off for vehicles requiring e-tests), it still has to comply with the emissions standards of the year of manufacturer of that vehicle, and retain all of the OEM emissions equipment, this includes the CCC, unfortunately.

One way around this is to go to a newer EFI system, such as a full blown TBI system, but some inspectors will not like it, others won't care, while others may categorize it as an "engine swap" even though it is only the fuel and spark delivery that has changed and not necessarily the engine itself.

So this is why many people don't buy the cars that are equipped with CCC and instead opt for years older and newer, to get around this.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Doing a TBI swap on a CCC car is easier then one with a carb. Half the stuff is there... OK well some...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Looking through the old Moates Fileman today and saw a couple CCC bins! Here's a note that came with them:

The following bins are what GM Performance Parts issued as part of the ZZ4 350HO Camaro Conversion Kit (P/N 10185077). They are intended for use with the 1228079 ECM and computer-controlled Quadrajet carburetor. GM shipped two chips with every ZZ4 conversion kit, one was for use cars equipped with ESC, the other for non-ESC cars.

ZZ4_CCC_ESC_24502456.BIN is the ESC-enabled version
    ZZ4_CCC_NOESC_24502457.BIN is the non-ESC version

The eight-digit number in the filename is the GM part number for the calibration. Since these bins were never used in production automobiles, there is no broadcast code (BCC) associated with either calibration, only a part number.

The ZZ4 Conversion Kit was emissions legal only when used with the 700R4 automatic transmission. As such, both bins contain the necessary code for TCC lockup.

Also, for anyone not familiar with the ZZ4, it's an aluminum-head 350 with 10:1 compression.
    Factory recommended base timing with both chips was 10° BTDC. (personally I had better results with a few degrees less timing, however)

Thanks to John Goodman for help with reading the NS82S181 chips that GM used.

Dave Jones
    hotrodder@mindspring.com
    5/20/04
    Files are on this page:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...ck%20Binaries/

-= =-

Programming CCC chips

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Looking through the old Moates Fileman today and saw a couple CCC bins! Here's a note that came with them:

Files are on this page:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...ck%20Binaries/
    The ZZ4 chip conversion is popular with the CCC folks. You will need an ECM from an 87 or newer vehicle ( as noted above). The newer ECM has a faster processing speed, and the chips can be programmed, although there is not a lot that can be done. They were popular for folks wanting to remove the EGR function ( vortec head swaps come to mind).
    '85 SS El Camino, Gm Crate 350 L31, Vortec heads,TPI.
    https://sites.google.com/site/darbyselky/home

I think I have a couple of those '8079 ECMs.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I have a strange ECM here, has an edge card, no plugs? 01226864 and the chip is missing?

-= =-