Thread: Air Conditioning

Air Conditioning

Well I am about to redo my ac system on the Roadmaster so I thought I would do a little write up about how to diagnose or build an AC system from parts. Just some rules to start, this is a work in progress so more can be added.
    DO NOT EVER OPEN BOTH GAUGES IF YOU HAVE FREON HOOKED UP TO MIDDLE CONNECTION!!!
    DO NOT EVER ATTACH FREON TO HIGH SIDE WHEN SYSTEM IS RUNNING!!!
    DO ALWAYS WEAR SAFTY GLASSES AS A BURST OF FREON IN THE EYE CAN CAUSE BLINDNESS!!!
    Breaking either of these rules could end in explosion of freon can! Death or worse life time disabilitys.

Basic needed is a set of gauges. You can usually find a quality set at a pawn shop or a cheap set at harbor freight for about $25. Make sure you get ones with fittings for either R12 or R134a as they are differant. I have a good set of gauges from R12 days and got a good set of adapters that screw into them. If you do this you should bleed them with new freon. Also always keep your hoses scewed into the distribution block or on the car. No dirt, No moisture.

Next is a vauum pump. I got a good one on sale online for $100. I've seen them at Harbour for $80... the vacuum ones that work off your air compressor work but no where near as good.

OK if your compresor will not turn on it's probably got a bad leak and the low side presure switch has turned the compresor off. You usually can't see where anything in an AC system has been leaking. So there's no freon in there right? Get a can of 134a with UV dye, flashlight and goggles and charge it in the system. May need 2. May have to force compresor on at low side switch. Run the system, look to see what your gauges are reading. Hopefully and usually the oil stays in the low spots in system and will start lubracating the compressor. Run a half hour AC on high if you can. Let car cool. Use UV Glasses and UV Flashlight and look at every connection and all over compressor for UV Glow! Poof! Found your leak!

I'll keep adding to this top post till I'm done doing an entire system but if anyone needs help or has info have at it!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Re: Air Conditioning

Adding a chart that outlines gauge numbers change. Having the perfect number is not as good as having the correct exact amount of freon system was designed for!

[attachment=0:11zp8k3h]acchart.jpg[/attachment:11zp8k3h]
    Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

Re: Air Conditioning

Alternate method of Automotive air conditioning...

[attachment=0:1db952pw]car_air_conditioner.jpg[/attachment:1db952pw]
    Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-