Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Food for thought

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    What's your signature have to do with anything?

I could post a whole bunch of credentials I have as well, but it doesn't really mean much...
    I work at a GM dealership 6 days a week

Quote Originally Posted by Caleditor View Post
    I work at a GM dealership 6 days a week
    Your point?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    We're a tough crowd here.

I am implying that the reason TC does not support older Northstar's and Saturn's and every other PCM that WinFlash can not read out is because the common person can not obtain a bin file to tune.

I am also implying that most of the bin files for these said cars came from TIS.
    You can buy a pcm at the junkyard and it's yours to disassemble with no legal warnings or disclaimers. You can have your pcm reflashed at the dealer or an independent without signing any agreement not to reverse the box and without receiving any warnings. The message is intended for the technician and software subscriber, not the pcm owner. Once you have a programmed pcm, obtaining a legal copy of the calibration is as simple as reading it then storing it.

In most cases the average person can't obtain any bin files to tune unless they use Winflash to read the pcm first. So that would mean all calibrations and bin files should be off limits. If the bin files we can read are all from TIS, are you saying Saturn and Northstar calibrations are not available through TIS? Considering as how many CD's were thrown away by GM dealers in the '90s and early 2000s I'd be surprised if none of them have any of these calibrations.

You've been at the dealer since 1999. I've diagnosed and repaired vehicles with CAMS and maintained the T10 when it ran PCDOS and WFW 3.11 through subsequent OS upgrades. If you started in '99 you should remember programming back then. SPS did not have a warning about reading cals and neither did the Tech2 when you used it to transfer cals from SPS. Saturn and the older Northstar engines would have had any reprogramming done through that software vs TIS that's available today. The warning you see today would not apply to vehicles programmed with another programming tool.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 09-23-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post

You can buy a pcm at the junkyard and it's yours to disassemble with no legal warnings or disclaimers. You can have your pcm reflashed at the dealer or an independent without signing any agreement not to reverse the box and without receiving any warnings. The message is intended for the technician and software subscriber, not the pcm owner. Once you have a programmed pcm, obtaining a legal copy of the calibration is as simple as reading it then storing it.

In most cases the average person can't obtain any bin files to tune unless they use Winflash to read the pcm first. So that would mean all calibrations and bin files should be off limits. If the bin files we can read are all from TIS, are you saying Saturn and Northstar calibrations are not available through TIS? Considering as how many CD's were thrown away by GM dealers in the '90s and early 2000s I'd be surprised if none of them have any of these calibrations.

You've been at the dealer since 1999. I've diagnosed and repaired vehicles with CAMS and maintained the T10 when it ran PCDOS and WFW 3.11 through subsequent OS upgrades. If you started in '99 you should remember programming back then. SPS did not have a warning about reading cals and neither did the Tech2 when you used it to transfer cals from SPS. Saturn and the older Northstar engines would have had any reprogramming done through that software vs TIS that's available today. The warning you see today would not apply to vehicles programmed with another programming tool.
    I was in charge of updating TIS. I would say that I know someone that has most of the TIS CD's.

I was told that the EPA was going to come down on Monodax for having bin files stored. I am not sure if this is what happened or not. The source was a good source. I posted a lot of OE bin files on the website myself. I have posted how to get the raw bin files from TIS on a few websites. If I remember correctly Ross removed the steps from his forum.

Has anyone followed the LML tuning issue from the start? http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....tuning-the-LML

I can tune Northstar's. I own a PCM repair company. We repair PCM's when people mess with the part of the calibration that they shouldn't be touching and brick them. We pull good bin files, so it would be very easy to make the connection to how we have obtained the bin files. Currently I have 2415 bin file. Most of them we have tuned.

How many have you tuned?
    Can you come up with software that will allow the user to use John's VDF's and Winflash?
    We could do it all, but John has been very good to us. I have BETA VDF's that the public may never see. John has given me all of the VDF's by accident before and I still purchase VDF's that Tom or myself do not own. We would like to help take care of John

bin1.jpg

Banned

Just by chance do you rebuild clusters in house and PCM's at the dealer?

Administrator
    I've rebuilt clusters in the past. Once upon a time the dealer could order many of the parts and it was part of the tech's job to repair at component level. From time to time, if parts and information are available and time allows, I will rebuild same here now.

I rarely have access to new parts for pcm's and service information is nearly impossible to get but more than once I've taken apart one or two failed units and scrounged components to make one good one if there's an obvious issue.

Banned
    I've rebuilt clusters in the past. Once upon a time the dealer could order many of the parts and it was part of the tech's job to repair at component level. From time to time, if parts and information are available and time allows, I will rebuild same here now.

I rarely have access to new parts for pcm's and service information is nearly impossible to get but more than once I've taken apart one or two failed units and scrounged components to make one good one if there's an obvious issue.
    This is my thread
    http://service-gm-forum.com/techforu...pic=38863&st=0

Yeah I have done a few. 92 clusters this year so far

Administrator
    Well, the more services you can offer the better. As long as you don't get stretched too thin. Much of what I do today is hobby level. I enjoy it but don't have the time anymore. Several years ago I bought a a few schematics for Delco radios when GM consolidated repair centers so I fix them once in a while, too.

Hmmm... I guess I can't check out the thread. I'm not a member of the forum.

FWIW if I had the time I could write software to use John's VDF's but without his blessing, I would never release it. I wrote software a few years ago that would fix the password in a TC definition file if you moved the file on the hard drive and then you couldn't open the def. I made sure it honored custom passwords for custom defs so you couldn't open a def if you didn't know the original pw. I sent it to John and asked if he had a problem with me releasing it. I got no reply, so I never released it. That's the way I am. I have most of the source code here to write an OBDII upload/download program including seed/key pairs and I have a neat idea about making a tool to do it but you know, there's the day job, and putting wood in the woodshed, and mowing the lawn, painting the barn, repairing the cars, watching the kids, keeping the wife from getting too stressed, on and on and on. So it doesn't get done. I'd love to but there's no time. Same reason I don't tune much anymore. I just don't have the time. Sometimes you make choices in life and end up going a very different direction than what you wanted.

Fuel Injected!
    Brag brag brag, who cares?, humility will always win over the braggart. We all enjoy what we do, it doesnt matter to others. WHo cares how many clusters, or how many different versions of software some stranger on the Webs does? I dont sit here and go on about Medicine as it matters to PCM recalibration about as much as GM recognition awards do.

Sharing info and experience is cool and all, but there is a method the masses enjoy, and methods that people straight up hate. Knowledge about certain topics, does not make the man.

Sorry to spaz, but c'mon.
    peace

Administrator
    or how many different versions of software some stranger on the Webs does?
    Was this directed at me? I'm not trying to come off as a braggart. Sorry if it seemed that way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    Brag brag brag, who cares?, humility will always win over the braggart. We all enjoy what we do, it doesnt matter to others. WHo cares how many clusters, or how many different versions of software some stranger on the Webs does? I dont sit here and go on about Medicine as it matters to PCM recalibration about as much as GM recognition awards do.

Sharing info and experience is cool and all, but there is a method the masses enjoy, and methods that people straight up hate. Knowledge about certain topics, does not make the man.

Sorry to spaz, but c'mon.
    peace
    Maybe you should go back and read the BS you posted that was off topic.

Next Lyndon is just a regular everyday tuner he is NOTHING SPECIAL. I have reworked many of his tunes. You look up to that so called guru for some stupid reason and I have been nice not to tell you how I feel about him and his useless tunes. Being in a circle of tuners I can tell you a lot of tuner shops laugh at his tunes and wonder WTF he is doing.
    Wester’s TC program has nothing that the version that I use of TC does not have. Remember I have a copy of DDT.
    In my opinion Lyndon tried to scam with the Duramax program JET and lost. End of story!!!

The cluster deal Pauly is a thread on the GM service forum with instructions on how to rebuild the GM clusters that are failing at a high rate. I have repairs procedures for all types of clusters. We are not just talking about stepper motor failures. Tom and I sell components to dealerships that allow techs to rebuild clusters all the way up to the current clusters being used.

We have 2415 bin/calibration files in our repository. Let say 400 are stock bins we acquired and never tuned. That brings us down to let say 2000. Say 2 files per tune on average. That would be 1000 we have tuned. Have you EVER had to fix one of our tunes? Have you ever heard someone talk down about our tunes?

Wow this thread sucks and has no useful information and no one can use, just a plug to how wonderful you are and how many products your ready to sell. Seems your the only one worthy and the rest are just sheep?

So I'll stop it now and suggest you do the same.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-