Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calibration Editor at PCM Calibrators

Banned

Calibration Editor at PCM Calibrators

Hey all Caleditor from PCM Calibrators

Glad to see you made it here!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Banned
    We have so much going on. Tom and I have been real busy. We have some software coming out in the next year or so. We plan on doing something different with it that will make it less end user friendly and more tuner shop friendly. We are looking at allowing editing of the def files.

Sure would be an improvement over what's available and being locked out of everything. Even when I find something wrong or worded to not understand I can't even add my own notes to descriptions? I'm sure whatever you guys are working on will be great!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Hi,i was thinking about you last night believe it or not.
    trying to get an invite to one of those backwoods jay leno type warehouses,and was looking forward to sending you a pic of a custom built cadillac 16 built by putting two northstars together :)
    glad to see you around,you're a wealth of info.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleditor View Post
    We have so much going on. Tom and I have been real busy. We have some software coming out in the next year or so. We plan on doing something different with it that will make it less end user friendly and more tuner shop friendly. We are looking at allowing editing of the def files.
    Sounds GREAT to me too. For example HP Tuners is horrible in regard to changes such as enabling lean cruise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Sounds GREAT to me too. For example HP Tuners is horrible in regard to changes such as enabling lean cruise.
    Lean cruise is not all of that. I have not found a use for it yet

Fuel Injected!
    Lean cruise is not all of that. I have not found a use for it yet
    I guess thats where we differ, I have never not found a use for it and I have tuned more than a few cars. Even GM felt that it had benefits and some of the early calibrations had lean cruise as well as most of the export calibrations.

But thats not what my reply was about. Just saying I want the option to enable things like that, which HP Tuners does not offer.

Banned
    You can always use the updated Jet DST. It now has all of the CAN VDF's. I have not used it yet

I've got mixed results with lean cruise? I think it would work well in cars better aero dynamics. Although my old 90 Suburban 2 wd see's almost 3 mpg increase, the same in 4x4 is only 1 mpg increase. Using a 0411 in a 98 Vortec 2wd truck all I see is a loss of MPG with Lean Cruise?

-= =-

Banned
    Lean cruise is say 15.3 to 1 with E0%. With E10% I would guess that it would be 14.7 to 1.

I look at LC about the same way as I look at the EGR valve. You can get more MPG with both in certain areas, but it really doesn't make sense.

You have X amount of BTU's in the fuel. If you remove fuel you will have less BTU's. If the timing is not optimized you are throwing fuel out the tail pipe. I have found that if the timing is corrected you will get more MPG than if you try to lean the car out and then have to reduce the timing

Banned
    Another tidbit is that I have got into the wonderful world of converting vehicle to run on CNG. I convert mostly brand new vehicles. CNG in my area is $1.52 at the pump. You can fill up at home for about $0.70. The home filling appliances run about $5000 currently. In the next 2 years we are looking at new compressors that last longer and will cost under $1000. This is CNG and NOT LP. LP is junk that comes from foreign oil

Fuel Injected!
    Lean cruise is say 15.3 to 1 with E0%. With E10% I would guess that it would be 14.7 to 1.

I look at LC about the same way as I look at the EGR valve. You can get more MPG with both in certain areas, but it really doesn't make sense.

You have X amount of BTU's in the fuel. If you remove fuel you will have less BTU's. If the timing is not optimized you are throwing fuel out the tail pipe. I have found that if the timing is corrected you will get more MPG than if you try to lean the car out and then have to reduce the timing
    I am not a fan of EGR because of the carbon buildup in the intake manifold but I have had luck with lean cruise into the 1.15 lambda range.

When I first started tuning TBI, I removed a Quadrajet off of an early 80s 305 powered G20 Van. The engine made about 240 RWHP with a mild RV cam, performer intake, 081 TPI heads, doug thorley Tri Ys and 2.25" dual exhaust. Prior to the TBI swap was running a Quadrajet I had tweaked, rejetted, and had adjusted the APT screw until it stumbled at cruise and just ever so slightly richened up. The distributor had also been modified and I had limited the centrifical advance, bumped the initial advance, brought in the timing sooner, switched the vaccum advance to manifold vacuum from ported and limited the vaccum advance to 12* at 10 in/hg. With the stock stalled 700r4 and 3.08 gears I was pulling down 22 mpg with the cruise set at 70-75 mph on the the highway. When I went to TBI, used the same exact timing setup, had the fuel tables tuned perfectly, I was lucky to get 18 mpg. In an attempt to find out why my mileage had tanked, I swapped over the mechanical/vacuum advance large cap HEI and took the timing control out of the loop. The next 400 mile road trip, I got 18 mpg. So I swapped back in the TBI distributer, picked up a bypass regulator, and swapped on the Q-Jet. Next trip I took was 23 mpg highway. On that trip I set a Code 44, which is a lean exhaust code. That is when I discovered that without the TBI having a means to control the air/fuel mixture, the BLM value was maxed in the high 150 range. The Quadrajet was running in the 16.5-17:1 air/fuel ratio range. I swapped the 92 Van ECM out for a Caprice ECM that came factory with lean cruise, enabled lean cruise, added the IAT and the next trip, I made about 23 mpg again. I tried everything I could do to get the MPG up in that beast and had a few trips that topped 25 mpg pushing a brick. MSD 6a box, good cap, rotor, wires, electric fans, a heated air intake, a TBI spacer, screened intake gaskets, synthetic oils, underdrive pulleys, vacuum a/c cutout, front air dam, among other things.

Fuel Injected!
    Another tidbit is that I have got into the wonderful world of converting vehicle to run on CNG. I convert mostly brand new vehicles. CNG in my area is $1.52 at the pump. You can fill up at home for about $0.70. The home filling appliances run about $5000 currently. In the next 2 years we are looking at new compressors that last longer and will cost under $1000. This is CNG and NOT LP. LP is junk that comes from foreign oil
    We have LP collected and processed locally here. But the CNG option sounds great.

Banned
    130 octane and I add over 20 degrees
    Last edited by Caleditor; 09-01-2013 at 02:54 PM.