Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! '94 3.4L Datalogging

Electronic Ignition!

Help! '94 3.4L Datalogging

Hey guys, I've just started getting into tuning my car (It's a 1994 camaro 3.4 manual trans.), I just got a laptop, C.A.T.S. Tuner, and an ALDL cable from Tunercat. I changed a couple little things like desired idle rpm and fan enable temps and I decided I wanted to do some REAL tuning....... and I realized that I have no way to datalog. Upon further research, I can't find a damn thing about what program, if any, supports datalogging with the stock 3.4 pcm. Are there any tricks or whatnots I can pull to get a program like Datamaster to think it's reading a different pcm....or something.....?
    Thanks guys! I appreciate any and all help.

Super Moderator
    tunerpro rt v5. i've massaged the definition for this application(93-95 3100/3.4RWD) quite a bit. it's the same ADX i use on my car without any issues.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    tunerpro rt v5. i've massaged the definition for this application(93-95 3100/3.4RWD) quite a bit. it's the same ADX i use on my car without any issues.
    Alright I'll give that a shot. Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it. Oh also, I have seen alot of your posts on here and other forums, you do some great work!

Electronic Ignition!
    So Robert.... I got it to log data, but it won't output any 2d graphs or anything on the "dash" or monitors....Here's the file. If anyone could take a look at this and see if they see any clues as to what I'm doing wrong, I'll be your friend forever (or just look at my log for me seeing as I can't see ****

Super Moderator
    no data on the dash is because i never bothered to build one. you can right-click and choose values to display or build a full custom dash if you wanted to.

monitors is the same situation. right-click and select values to display.

Electronic Ignition!
    Ah, i see. So then in your experience, what (if there are any options available at all) can I do to display this data as a graph? Turns out I'm not too good at watching 42 different lines of data at a time...Visual respresentation would make this much easier.

Super Moderator
    depending on what you're looking for, monitor mode works great for finding odd things, like a sensor that goes intermittent.

Electronic Ignition!
    Is there no program that can read these things and do side by side graphs for things like AFR and RPM or BPW or any of those things "out of the box"?

It's sad that there's so little aftermarket for PCM tuning on these things...I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't been able to find much.

Super Moderator
    i'm not understanding what you're asking? this is a monitor view of your log that i think matches your description of what you're looking for?

as for tuning, i built the XDF to change nearly everything possible in the calibration?

Electronic Ignition!
    Apparently I'm having issues with the program install...can you tell me step by step how you get that graph to open? It won't open anything like that for me.

There's an Icon for monitors, click it to open, then right click and choose what ever you want in it.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Alright, thanks to you guys' help I now have a working datalogger. Can anyone take a look at my logs and see if there's anything they see out of the ordinary? Let me know if this is stupid, but for the "brewery run" I changed the target AFR to 12.5.

Super Moderator
    aren't mode 4 commands fun? i didn't realize if you were in PE long enough, the PCM would override it and richen it beyond 12.5.

i also don't know if i ever had the bit switched to have the PCM go open loop at the same time, so while it would instantly switch to roughly that area, it would creep back to where it should be.

is there anything that should be looked for? i didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Electronic Ignition!
    Yeah, at idle it would jump to 12.5 for a while and then creep towards 14.7. It'd usually get to about 14.5 and then jump back down to 12.5, not sure if that's what you mean but it confused me. I'm sorry Robert but I'm completely new to this....what is mode 4?

As far as the issues go, it's got a really rough idle, and as far as I can tell it doesn't have any vacuum leaks. I also just replaced the plugs and wires.

Super Moderator
    "mode 4" is what GM called the use of commands over the ALDL line to control certain functions. usually done by a tech1 for diagnostic, you can also force some interesting things to happen.

minimum IAC counts were slightly lower than i would have expected, which means a possible small vacuum leak, but it could also be how the throttle blades are set.

what all has been replaced recently?