Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 0411 5.3 cam tuning.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't have completed pics with loom on and harnesses tacked yet,still adjusting and messing with stuff.
    I cut alot of wiring from that fusebox area and coming out of the firewall connector. There was 14g wire (4x) going from under the dash/spliced into N/S and Rev switches out the firewall,down the tranny tunnel,under the truck and then thru a hole drilled in the tunnel below seat and then terminated with spade connectors (wouldn't fit thru hole).
    All this,instead of running a 12" wire from where they spliced to where they ended up-inside the truck.
    I have a pretty good pile of wire,basically everything I dealt with I cut out and started new if not stock.

Fuel Injected!
    Well,i've had this truck the past week or so messing with it slowly.When it came back the only thing that had been done is seats installed,fuel pump mounted to frame,headers mounted and some fuel hose ran.
    So I just started fixing stuff that needed fixing.
    Got the nitrous installed,got the cables ran for remote battery,rewired/installed the remote door kit,installed the tranny lines,a ps loop (till we get proper fittings) and a host of other stuff.
    Finally got it to a startable condition,just to let it idle for awhile. Got it fired up a couple times then it just stopped trying.
    Checked codes,got a P0342 and P0343.
    Kinda wierd cause it means low voltage and high voltage circuit errors on CMP. Broke out meter and doublechecked circuit (I had already triplechecked everything) but all is good. CMP looks good,going to try a different pcm that I know is good and if it passes find a known good cmp to try.
    After that guess i'll be pulling a valve cover and checking the work on the cam install.
    I'll take some more pics,starting to look a little cleaner.

Banned
    Try this tune. You may need to make changes to the Idle parameters, but it should start and run. I think this car had a cam and T-Body.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks AJ,i'll give it a try.Fired it up for the first time yesterday,but seems to be flooding itself trying to start.
    I can crank in "clear flood" mode for a minute and get it to start eventually but seems to have too much fuel.
    I finally noticed (after 30 times in and out from under truck) that they have the wrong 02's and they aren't even plugged in. So I need to run to the parts store and get the proper ones.

I did get it started though,and the idle seemed okay for a minute. I killed it though because of the 02 issue,no sense running it without proper components.
    I'll need to reduce the crank fueling i'm guessing,i'll open up tunercat and give it a look shortly.

Fuel Injected!
    Well,got this thing fired up again and idling yesterday,but have been having an issue with first crank/fire.I attributed it to the 02 sensors,but got them installed and now i'm pretty sure I need to swap out the plugs and do something about the open exhaust.
    The plugs are ACDelco copper (#6) and the headers are open.
    Going to swap plugs out for correct platinums and see if it fixes my long cold crank.

Learning to get EFIlive setup at the same time,going to play with it for a little before I install LM1.
    My 02's don't look to be bouncing correctly,one bank is lean (150-300mv) while the other is sticking close to switchpoint.
    Not sure if that is due to open header sucking in air or a lean bank,of course this is all at cold start.

Fuel Injected!
    Found my hard start issues,wierd too because it wasn't missing or even running badly when it idled.Something went wrong when they installed the cam,I checked compression when I found cyl 4 and 7 dead and both were down.
    I had noticed some clatter around #7 so pulled the valve covers.
    All the exhaust pushrod guides were dug out and 4/7 pushrods were bent to hell.
    Stopped to give him the bad news,his response was " well I guess now we can quit f'in around and make some real power."
    At least this time I know it will be done right.

Fuel Injected!
    Here's what I found,all exhaust pushrods look the same.

Nanu-nanu

The 5.3 swap is on the left,on the right is an S10 project i'm finishing up for another customer.
    A buddy of mine built the engine,I did the intake and header coating and now the belt setup,complete wiring/guages etc.. It will be street legal.
    There is a rivalry here as well,and a $1k bill to the winner when it's all said and done. (S10 is about 450-500hp on motor,and setup to run a 200+ N20 shot.)

That pic of the S10 makes it look like a Stubby Beast. How about a side and rear shot of the S10?

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Fuel Injected!
    I can take some more,but it is in the back of my shop so they won't be great. Took that pic while rolling the 69 out to roll the S10 behind it.
    The bed/front clip is easily removable so I told him to leave that crap at the house since I don't have to have it. (plus it had exhaust done on the trip to my shop so easier).
    Makes it look very stubby :)
    The only drawback I see is the rear suspension(stock leafs with modded trac bars),I don't like it but that's not my area.

Fuel Injected!
    Here's some "before" pics I took. I'll take the after pics when i'm done with it before it leaves shop (goes from here straight to paint for satin black/flat clear)

Fuel Injected!
    Finally got the 5.3 rebuilt,dented every piston and bent every exhaust pushrod.
    Also had daylight thru every exhaust valve.
    I ported the heads,put a double roller timing set on it and degreed the cam. Also did new cam and rod bearings and ceramic coated them as well as all the valves and the intake runners.
    Can't remember everything,but she rumbles like a beast now.
    http://youtu.be/DaYLQSbaIh8

I hate when that happens!

I did that on my first big cam install to a 327 Chevy I put in a 67 Nova back in 1977... just bent all the pushrods though, no other damage. Learned a lot about building engines that year...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    To clarify,I didn't do the first cam install that was 4 teeth off!
    I did the rebuild with new floating rods/pistons and rebuilt heads etc..
    My work so far is cherry,truck finally outta here thursday.

Now gotta pull in wifes car,yank powertrain and prep for 88fiero.
    While i'm doing that,picked up a $300 5.3 to rebuild for my 4.8 shop truck,rebuild 4.8 to go in my 48.
    One of those LS's is getting a turbo (prob my truck) and the other is getting discussed now.
    Other will likely get something stupid like twin M90's for the look since I got some laying around shop.

Fuel Injected!
    Well,truck is gone but still needs tuned.
    Way too loud to mess with here,I told him I need exhaust put on it so he had straight pipes put on...
    It's parked in his barn now,needing tuned badly.
    Good news is I have gotten much more familiar with efilive scantool.
    Gonna try and get it idling today if I can make it to his house. He lives on top of a big hill/mountain on a curve and right now be lucky to drive well on flat surface with all the ice.
    Figure I should be able to get it idling though.
    Played with it a little to try and see if I can figure out with .bin I did,but gonna go ahead and drop AJ's file in and start with it as my baseline.
    Biggest issue right now seems to be airflow at idle,and rpm swings high/low idling when in gear at idle and generally dies when hits low.
    My logs so far not worth anything,pipe extension didn't seem to work great.

Fuel Injected!
    Well,dropped AJ's file in as a baseline and was sure as hell closer than what i've been playing with.
    Now just having issues playing with software (efilive)
    Got my LM1 hooked up and reading on bank 1,but when trying to use the maps to tune VE I can't get the cells/corrections over to the VE table.
    Got plenty of counts,but when I try to copy with labels/multiply with labels it just puts on the corresponding cells to (500.00).
    Checking the cells averages in the map and just shows (25.00) in all the logged cells.

Downloading and reinstalling efilive now,seem to have lost all my pid list files somehow.
    About to restart,gonna try again in a few and hopefully get somewhere.