Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 0411 5.3 cam tuning.

Fuel Injected!

0411 5.3 cam tuning.

Anybody have any tips for getting a base tune close before it goes in?
    This will be a stock 2001 5.3 with .617/.624 lift,231/239 duration on 113 lsa.
    Also has a 75mm TB,which I don't believe is stock. Zero emissions,manual trans for th400 with no VSS.
    I know alot of it can be calculated to get it close,but best place to start?

I'm looking for stock TB size,from there I figure I will calculate the percentage increase over stock and scale the airflow tables accordingly?
    I always referred back to my cam tuning thread and pm's from mondax,ed wright gave some excellent advice in there.

What's the best way to pencil whip this thing before we start it up so it's close?
    Last edited by Playtoy_18; 09-16-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    This is the rough draft i'm working on for it,if somebody wants a .bin I can get one as well.
    And from searching looks like the 75mm is stock for the 5.3,so just need some direction on the cam.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Playtoy_18; 08-22-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Playtoy_18 View Post
    This is the rough draft i'm working on for it,if somebody wants a .bin I can get one as well.
    And from searching looks like the 75mm is stock for the 5.3,so just need some direction on the cam.
    For starters I would add a vss to that TH400. Other than that, first thing to do is raise and flatten y our idle timing and slightly raise the idle speed. On my cammed L31, I adjusted the throttle body minimu air rate screw to bring the IAC down to factory specs.

Fuel Injected!
    a lot of people are playing with end of injection settings in the fuel tables for good idle with cams to make up for the change in inlet valve opening times

Fuel Injected!
    end of injection spreadsheet incase you need it.they are injecting fuel after the exhaust valve has closed on overlap camshafts to stop the fuel smell out the exhaust and gain torque and economy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    end of injection spreadsheet incase you need it.they are injecting fuel after the exhaust valve has closed on overlap camshafts to stop the fuel smell out the exhaust and gain torque and economy
    I will have to check this out if its applicable to my L31 0411 application.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    For starters I would add a vss to that TH400. Other than that, first thing to do is raise and flatten y our idle timing and slightly raise the idle speed. On my cammed L31, I adjusted the throttle body minimu air rate screw to bring the IAC down to factory specs.
    Idle RPM is around 525-550 at idle currently,going up as temp goes down.
    Should I start around 200rpm higher idle across the board?

for idle spark,I need to adjust timing at idle via base spark advance vs load vs rpm (closed throttle In P/N and drive) right?
    and again just blanket timing add in the lower cells <800 / <.48 gm/s .
    Not the idle overspeed/underspeed spark advance correction vs rpm.

After starting need to adjust the screw till I get IAC reading within range? Sound correct?

Should I line out the idle before the VE/MAF?

Thanks delco,i'll check out end of injection timing as well.
    Last edited by Playtoy_18; 08-23-2013 at 03:58 AM.

For now just set idle to 800 in all idle tables.

Same for spark, all tables.

This will get you started and running easier then can figure out which table is working since there's no VSS and I don't know if there is a Park/Neutral wire?

If the IAC counts will be high until full warm up. But I would turn off key to adjust throttle blade. Then key on should set TPS to 0%. No need for it to think it's off idle after adjustment and put you in different tables.

It's nice to have some idle quality to warm up and be able to drive, then work on VE. This is all of course after things are calibrated for injectors and throttle body changes or?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I did run a P/N wire,it will be going to the BM shifter. Though i'm still not positive if I should run the P/N or cpp circuit since I'm programming as a manual.Currently it is pinned into P/N,and will only take a minute to swap the pin since they are right next to each other.

Could you elaborate a bit on same spark for all tables?
    So reset all the MBT,hi/lo octane and base spark maps to a single constant? Makes sense to eliminate variables a bit.
    What would you suggest? 25 or 30 across the board?

I'd have to open your tun and look, it was just general advice. But no! Not same spark on entire table. Just idle cells, add 5 to make it start and run at idle with cam. Don't have time right now to open you tune, but think there High Octane, Low Octane and Idle in Park and Idle in gear? Hit all four at idle for now, should be idle depending on P/N wire... see what I mean? We're not sure what tables you'll be in with no VSS and P/N wire not determined to work yet?

Leave MBT alone.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Made the changes,but they have been slow finishing trans install and other various stuff.
    I've been pretty sick the past couple days,tried to work on it today but his shop is much hotter than mine I found out and it was killing me since i'm still pretty sick.
    The idle spark was 18 iirc,I raised it 5* as suggested as well as raising idle rpm.
    I didn't have a chance to check trans for factory VSS,doubt it is there but going to track one down. He said he thought it came from an early 90's truck,so might have one. He wouldn't know what to look for.
    I still need to tie the wires into cab and run appropriate hot/batt+ to the fusebox as well as cab.

Anyway,hopefully start it up this weekend if they can finish up their work. I was afraid I was slowing them down being sick but now not so worried since it doesn't look like they've done much.

Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    End Of Injection Timing spreadsheet. They are injecting fuel after the exhaust valve has closed on overlap camshafts to stop the fuel smell out the exhaust and gain torque and economy.
    Can you explain how to use this spreadsheet? It looks like a good tool and I don't know how to use it.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Fuel Injected!
    it has been bought to my attention that the spreadsheet is probably of no use anyway read edit in the link it could be changed to work ide say but i can hardly use a spreadsheet let alone write or modify one LOL threads a good read http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post243936

Fuel Injected!
    The main wrench behind this build was called out of town for awhile for work,so it will be sent to another local guy's place to finish up the fuel cell,fuel pump,etc.. (Basically the trans has been installed,that's it.)

I could do it all in my shop and would prefer to,but trying to keep my liability on this build to wiring and tuning. He's a good kid but he basically copied down a build sheet from a forum (so longer ago he couldn't say where) and bought it all.
    With zero planning behind this build i'm just helping out where I can so it comes together and is safe,I don't have the time to take the project over.

Good news is I think the trans has a VSS already,bad news is I climbed underneath several times today and each time forgot to verify. It will still be several days before it runs at least,but I need to verify and run the VSS. So also need to jack the rear and see what gear ratio is in it. He bought a narrowed ford 9in for it but hasn't a clue what gears are in it.

I did get the wiring almost wrapped up today. The cab/chassis/engine wiring was horrible,it had been the victim of more than a few swaps and splices.
    I'm still cutting crap out randomly here and there. I'll be honest i'm not even getting paid for the cab tie-in stuff. Since it is my first major harness rebuild for someone local (i get no love from all the cars I repaired half the harnesses on) I want it to be nice since I know the people that will be looking at it.

I'll get some pics up,I hope this thing will start in the next few days-then back to tuning.
    Thanks so far everyone.

Fuel Injected!
    I realize the shop is a bit of a mess,I was in the middle of some remodel stuff. The blaster is getting a room built and i'm tossing stuff out and need to hit the scrapyard. Wasn't expecting to be working from it for several days.

Last edited by Playtoy_18; 08-28-2013 at 08:44 AM.