Thread: 0411 5.3 cam tuning.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    End Of Injection Timing spreadsheet. They are injecting fuel after the exhaust valve has closed on overlap camshafts to stop the fuel smell out the exhaust and gain torque and economy.
    Can you explain how to use this spreadsheet? It looks like a good tool and I don't know how to use it.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Fuel Injected!
    it has been bought to my attention that the spreadsheet is probably of no use anyway read edit in the link it could be changed to work ide say but i can hardly use a spreadsheet let alone write or modify one LOL threads a good read http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post243936

Fuel Injected!
    The main wrench behind this build was called out of town for awhile for work,so it will be sent to another local guy's place to finish up the fuel cell,fuel pump,etc.. (Basically the trans has been installed,that's it.)

I could do it all in my shop and would prefer to,but trying to keep my liability on this build to wiring and tuning. He's a good kid but he basically copied down a build sheet from a forum (so longer ago he couldn't say where) and bought it all.
    With zero planning behind this build i'm just helping out where I can so it comes together and is safe,I don't have the time to take the project over.

Good news is I think the trans has a VSS already,bad news is I climbed underneath several times today and each time forgot to verify. It will still be several days before it runs at least,but I need to verify and run the VSS. So also need to jack the rear and see what gear ratio is in it. He bought a narrowed ford 9in for it but hasn't a clue what gears are in it.

I did get the wiring almost wrapped up today. The cab/chassis/engine wiring was horrible,it had been the victim of more than a few swaps and splices.
    I'm still cutting crap out randomly here and there. I'll be honest i'm not even getting paid for the cab tie-in stuff. Since it is my first major harness rebuild for someone local (i get no love from all the cars I repaired half the harnesses on) I want it to be nice since I know the people that will be looking at it.

I'll get some pics up,I hope this thing will start in the next few days-then back to tuning.
    Thanks so far everyone.

Fuel Injected!
    I realize the shop is a bit of a mess,I was in the middle of some remodel stuff. The blaster is getting a room built and i'm tossing stuff out and need to hit the scrapyard. Wasn't expecting to be working from it for several days.

Last edited by Playtoy_18; 08-28-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't have completed pics with loom on and harnesses tacked yet,still adjusting and messing with stuff.
    I cut alot of wiring from that fusebox area and coming out of the firewall connector. There was 14g wire (4x) going from under the dash/spliced into N/S and Rev switches out the firewall,down the tranny tunnel,under the truck and then thru a hole drilled in the tunnel below seat and then terminated with spade connectors (wouldn't fit thru hole).
    All this,instead of running a 12" wire from where they spliced to where they ended up-inside the truck.
    I have a pretty good pile of wire,basically everything I dealt with I cut out and started new if not stock.

Fuel Injected!
    Well,i've had this truck the past week or so messing with it slowly.When it came back the only thing that had been done is seats installed,fuel pump mounted to frame,headers mounted and some fuel hose ran.
    So I just started fixing stuff that needed fixing.
    Got the nitrous installed,got the cables ran for remote battery,rewired/installed the remote door kit,installed the tranny lines,a ps loop (till we get proper fittings) and a host of other stuff.
    Finally got it to a startable condition,just to let it idle for awhile. Got it fired up a couple times then it just stopped trying.
    Checked codes,got a P0342 and P0343.
    Kinda wierd cause it means low voltage and high voltage circuit errors on CMP. Broke out meter and doublechecked circuit (I had already triplechecked everything) but all is good. CMP looks good,going to try a different pcm that I know is good and if it passes find a known good cmp to try.
    After that guess i'll be pulling a valve cover and checking the work on the cam install.
    I'll take some more pics,starting to look a little cleaner.

Banned
    Try this tune. You may need to make changes to the Idle parameters, but it should start and run. I think this car had a cam and T-Body.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks AJ,i'll give it a try.Fired it up for the first time yesterday,but seems to be flooding itself trying to start.
    I can crank in "clear flood" mode for a minute and get it to start eventually but seems to have too much fuel.
    I finally noticed (after 30 times in and out from under truck) that they have the wrong 02's and they aren't even plugged in. So I need to run to the parts store and get the proper ones.

I did get it started though,and the idle seemed okay for a minute. I killed it though because of the 02 issue,no sense running it without proper components.
    I'll need to reduce the crank fueling i'm guessing,i'll open up tunercat and give it a look shortly.

Fuel Injected!
    Well,got this thing fired up again and idling yesterday,but have been having an issue with first crank/fire.I attributed it to the 02 sensors,but got them installed and now i'm pretty sure I need to swap out the plugs and do something about the open exhaust.
    The plugs are ACDelco copper (#6) and the headers are open.
    Going to swap plugs out for correct platinums and see if it fixes my long cold crank.

Learning to get EFIlive setup at the same time,going to play with it for a little before I install LM1.
    My 02's don't look to be bouncing correctly,one bank is lean (150-300mv) while the other is sticking close to switchpoint.
    Not sure if that is due to open header sucking in air or a lean bank,of course this is all at cold start.

Fuel Injected!
    Found my hard start issues,wierd too because it wasn't missing or even running badly when it idled.Something went wrong when they installed the cam,I checked compression when I found cyl 4 and 7 dead and both were down.
    I had noticed some clatter around #7 so pulled the valve covers.
    All the exhaust pushrod guides were dug out and 4/7 pushrods were bent to hell.
    Stopped to give him the bad news,his response was " well I guess now we can quit f'in around and make some real power."
    At least this time I know it will be done right.