Thread: possible help with a starter bin

Fuel Injected!

possible help with a starter bin

Hi all, new to the site and glad to have found it. Not looking for someone to do my tuning for me (at least for now depending on how frustrated I get) but would like to find a bin that's close to what I need for my setup. I have a 91 k1500 with 350 bored .040, flat top pistons, cam with 216 223 @ .050 .499 .493 lift and lsa 113. The rest of the engine is stock with the exception of a msd distributor and can I tell you that thing is nice. With stock distributor the spark always kind of jumped around a few degrees but now its rock solid. Anyway, the truck has no power unless floored and fuel mileage is a joke. I've just gotten to the point of navigating around tunerpro and understand some of the alphabet soup what with adx xdf and what not but haven't really started playing with any kind of tuning yet. The motor is sound mechanically with all new sensors and iac and the base timing set at 0 deg. The bin I'm using right now is ARJT 91 C-G-K-R-V Truck 5.7TBI 700r4 and I know there has to be something closer to what I need what with the decreased vacuum and ve table probably being way off. A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, at least something to get the truck running a little more normal. I look forward to the replies and am excited about learning this, although I know its going to take a lot of time and work but I will get there. Thanks in advance, Chris.

Low vacuum from cams can be tuned, first thing is raise your idle rpm to about 800 to start. That will get a better vacuum signal. Next we will need logs. Get a cable, download the adx, xdf and bin from the $42 thread and start datalogging. The guys on this forum will look at your log and make specific recommendations for your truck. Good luck
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks jim. Upon cold start up she wants to idle around 500 then when warm 1100, this is while in park. I have a log with it just setting in the driveway at idle and off idle. I am about to go log it from startup to closed loop just to get another log and pay closer attention to the rpms and at what temp it raises. I'm sure this log will probably show to you guys with experience what some of my problems are but for me being the newbie that I am, I don't know exactly where to start.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Long idle logs on a stock chip won't help much. With the low vacuum making it rich and being a wet intake it's just off. Idle needs to be increased to start. It will vary always in Park/Neutral but will have better ECM control in Drive.

There's no stock chip that will be any better. You just have an engine that was never calibrated from the factory that way.

Since you started with ARJY I'm assuming an Auto trans? 700R4? I'd suggest my favorite ASDU to start. Using the latest $42 TunerPro files apply the Spark Advance and BPW patch along with the Lean Cruise ESC Done patch. Yopu do not want to use Lean Cruise!!! So disable it via enable temp setting. The part you want from that patch is the ESC Done so there is no forced knock test during PE/WOT!

Look at this thread for some things that a stock bin would need to get you going and give some better data right from the start.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...odified-engine
    For a guy just starting tuning a stock chip without those tips could take 100 chips and months or years to get dialed in. Even with that help it is no small task or anything easy about the learning curve. It all takes time and patience!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I looked at your log and as I suspected it's pig rich! 108 BLM when it goes Closed Loop, that is the max correction the ECM is set to make for removing fuel.

Your actually doing better then most with first logs! No error codes! Woo Hoo!

Your IAC count is very high, meaning a lot of air is coming through the IAC valve and less trough throttle plates. You want more through throttle plates to mix fuel and air! So turn your throttle plate adjustment screw in 1/4 turn. Nothing else, this is not an IDLE RPM adjustment. It is Minimum Air Adjustment.

Add 5 degrees timing to idle.

That should get you started... or at least idling better!

Your going to need more fuel pressure to feed the new motor. This just makes idle worse but in the end if you don't have enough fuel to supply WOT? Why bother? Youj'd have to tune all over again.

What is your fuel pressure?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Mark. Should I do the procedure you stated in the initial setup of tbi or like you say now a 1/4 turn in? Will bump timing 5 deg. Waiting on fuel fitting at tb for gauge hookup to come in so don't know fuel pressure yet.

Fuel Injected!
    And yes, 700r4. I'm using $42-1227747-V5.2 and $42-1227747-V5.9.3 for ADX and XDF files. Time and patience I possess, I just hope you guys can have patience with me (I said I was slow.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sla90lx View Post
    Thanks Mark. Should I do the procedure you stated in the initial setup of tbi or like you say now a 1/4 turn in? Will bump timing 5 deg. Waiting on fuel fitting at tb for gauge hookup to come in so don't know fuel pressure yet.
    I never use the procedure anymore. Turn it in 1/4 turn now. Then use IAC counts as a tool but always judge at end of a driving log and it will be accurate. It will not be accurate if engine is not warm or idled a long time do to wet intake manifold.

When done like this you get max amount of air mixing with fuel that is injected above throttle plates, but still have some IAC counts left to let ECM control idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sla90lx View Post
    And yes, 700r4. I'm using $42-1227747-V5.2 and $42-1227747-V5.9.3 for ADX and XDF files. Time and patience I possess, I just hope you guys can have patience with me (I said I was slow.)
    With patience and time along with the desire to learn is all you need. We all seem to spend a little to a lot of time each day learning and teaching here. Learning never ends!

Warning! This can be addicting! :-) It's a great tool and knowledge to have for a GearHead though!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Okay, I want to apologize one more time for how elementary you will have to be with me as I begin learning how all of this works. SORRY! That's it, last time. I advanced base timing 5 degrees and turned in throttle stop 1/4 turn. Loaded ASDU bin with suggested patches and disabled lean cruise. I also disabled EGR, increased IAC dead band to 75 rpm and changed p/n idle to 900 rpm. I know you said logging idle of stock chip wont help much but I wanted to see if any changes would show up. The idle did seem to settle down a bit instead of hunt around but it was still rough and I notice that the IAC counts are lower. My questions now are, when cold why does it idle lower than my set point? Is there a cold idle adjustment that I'm missing? Why does the idle still stay above 1000 rpms when it goes into closed loop and I don't see the IAC counts change to combat this? I know my fuel is still way off but I don't think I'm close to start changing that yet, or am I? Should I be more concerned with warm idle right now and leave start up for latter? Below is most recent log from cold start to closed loop, it's about 17 minutes and it took 12 minutes to get to closed loop. Thanks again and your right, this is fun and I already know twice as much as I did two days ago. I have always wanted to learn the tuning game and after having wrecked my motorcycle, find myself with tons of idle time to do just that. Chris.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The high idle is just nature of the beast/ECM while in Park. IAC dose not have full control until the vehicle is in Drive.

Your doing good for a newbie, stop worrying. Apply your knowledge as you get it to think more and ask questions.

-= =-