Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: 86 Iroc 350 with 30lb injectors

Fuel Injected!
    tbh i do agree with alot said here, like i do agree on injector swap to some injectirs with known correct data. you could even consider it an upgrade if you go with something like the bosch III's which are the 4 hole design and are said to have better attomization, and tbh if you sold yours on ebay i'm betting the swap wouldnt cost you much extra out of pocket... i also agree that the tune shouldnt and wouldnt take long like the 20min example given if car was in hand but you have to consider that the way were doing this atm is only averaging one lil change a day instead of log, change log change constantly over that 20mins(i do plan to give instructions and have Zed get a lil more hands on with changes to speed things up soon as we find suitable inj base numbers that seem close, i belive that the other zz4 bin we were working on was a reasonable close start but yes felt that fresh start was in order as i kinda lost track of where we were with that bin once he had a local tuner.

as for the map vs maf, i'm going to have to disagree with map being easier, its only easier to you guys because thats what you have most experiance with. the maf systems are so much more forgiving as they are able to self adapt much better then the map based systems. and the reason that map systems have more tables to adjust is because everything is and has to be a calculation unlike the maf which does the calculations direct from the actual air flow of the engine rather then having to calculate it all. with that said i do belive there are alot of great uses that truely do need the map based setups like boosted, or those times that the engine combo maxes out the maf based systems like in the case of alot of the 383 combos. now i could be all wrong here but this is just my opinion on the maf vs map and if you read around it also seems a shared opinion that tuning maf is easier then tuning map, but to each there own.

now back to Zed's situation and setup..yes that setup should just fire up and run decent from a stock bin, preferably a corvette style bin as thats what his combo most closely resembles in terms of CID, CR, Al. Heads, etc. and it does start and run on stock bin with nothing more then inj constant change but then runs way lean, on the other hand with the inj constant set at 26.5 it was running pretty close to the target 128blm at idle, so what does this tell us... does it tell us to pay closer attention to accel saying the injectors flow at 27.9 at 39.2 psi fuel, does it tell us that accel injectors are unconsistant and odd without proper specs sheet needed or does it just tell us we need to just treat these injectors as they need to be treated to make the engine happy and use whatever constant works best to get a decent base around 128blm then work tables from there.. yes known injectors would take one big step out of the puzzle but tbh i cant say i have even ever seen all the needed data avalible for even the newer bosch III style 4 hole injectors as popular as they seem... but i do know if there bought from a reputable rebuild service that these rebuild services not only match them but also can flow test and are able to give that data as well as volt ofset data as well.

ohh and also that msd box does kinda bother me a bit as i remember many telling horror problems with tuning engines that have them, i just cant remeber if its because of interferance, or hooked up wrong or what the issues were atm but i should look that up again soon as i get time.
    Last edited by xtreamvette69; 08-20-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Ok, so Xtreamvette, do I leave my fuel pressure the way it is then for the next log?

Fuel Injected!
    yep just leave it as is ... lets just see how much % change these lil changes make.

Quote Originally Posted by xtreamvette69 View Post
    as for the map vs maf, i'm going to have to disagree with map being easier, its only easier to you guys because thats what you have most experiance with. the maf systems are so much more forgiving as they are able to self adapt much better then the map based systems. and the reason that map systems have more tables to adjust is because everything is and has to be a calculation unlike the maf which does the calculations direct from the actual air flow of the engine rather then having to calculate it all. with that said i do belive there are alot of great uses that truely do need the map based setups like boosted, or those times that the engine combo maxes out the maf based systems like in the case of alot of the 383 combos. now i could be all wrong here but this is just my opinion on the maf vs map and if you read around it also seems a shared opinion that tuning maf is easier then tuning map, but to each there own.
    MAF is a much better product today along with the PCM... then this system...

MSD is not needed with both GM type HEI ignition and EFI. All it does is cause issues and wear out cap and rotor 3x faster.

But since you mention noise? One spark plug wire in picture one should be moved, looped, not tucked back along side of two others in cap and running along side of coil.

Another thing to check for noise is the four spark plug wires loomed over the top of wiring has at least an inch or 2 clearence from all EFI wiring.

Good looking motor you got there ZEDRATD!

One more issue with tune xtreamvette69 I'm not sure you looked at? Is AIR turned off? It is a major HOG and causes all sorts of issues when I looked through $6E code last time. Not even sure if the enable temp is in the XDF?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Oh, I forgot to mention that picture is over a year old. The car now has air and engine bay looks a lot nicer now EagleMark but thanks for the comment.

Fuel Injected!
    i did think about the computer trying to account for its having an AIR/smog pump if thats what you mean and i didnt see any such thing listed in XDF ... so ya idk but should the ecm really be doing anything diff with fuel to account for that? sure it shoots air in the exhaust before the o2 but on cold start the o2 is doing nothing anyhow, so idk but i would think that the ecm does nothing special with fuel durring the time the AIR is supposed toi be dumping air into the exhaust but idk for sure..

and we know Zed that you dont have it anymore that is why were discussing it .

and in responce to :
    But since you mention noise? One spark plug wire in picture one should be moved, looped, not tucked back along side of two others in cap and running along side of coil.

i was running a madson crossfire cap for HEI on mine before, but they were so hard to get back when i bought it that i took it off for safe keeping but i now see that was it msd or accel now has them avalible for HEI.. still kinda expensive but cleans up the wires really nicely by never having to have wires cross over one another.

was also running the armor shield stainless braid wires but took those off as well thinking they might have been a source of an issue, i dont think they were and will try them again once all issues are resolved. i just couldnt decide if there design would add noise or shield noise lol looked good though but again kinda pricey.
    Last edited by xtreamvette69; 08-20-2013 at 11:56 PM.

I have a brand new set of MSD wires that I still have to put on. Just got them. This pic is the way I got the car. As for the next log, I doubt I will have time tonight as I have a ball hockey game and the other 2 free hours will be for the wife lol. Will probably get that log done tomorrow night. Thanks.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEDRATED View Post
    I have a brand new set of MSD wires that I still have to put on. Just got them. This pic is the way I got the car. As for the next log, I doubt I will have time tonight as I have a ball hockey game and the other 2 free hours will be for the wife great idea, have her hold the laptop. perfect one on one togetherness time lol. Will probably get that log done tomorrow night. Thanks.
    seriously though n/p the results will be at your pace is all, the slower we get logs the slower we get changes and longer this takes but is only effecting you, but thanks for letting me know .

Hahahahahaha, I'm sure she would love that lol. I know, time time time, wish I had more of it.

Fuel Injected!
    pull your maf sensor an clean it ,a little dust screws things a long way,

I cleaned it and the throttle body not to long ago.

great idea, have her hold the laptop. perfect one on one togetherness time
    FAIL! You get her to drive so you can hold the laptop!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Hahahahahaha. Good luck with that. She barely wants to step foot in my car lol.

Didn't go to hockey and had 1/2 hour away from the wife lol. Here is the log. Starts and runs much better, "smelled" a lot like raw fuel lol. Couldn't resist and pushed the throttle down a few times lol.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ZEDRATED; 08-21-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Some pics I just took tonight:
    Attached Images Attached Images