Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4L60E is out and 4L80E about to go in.

Fuel Injected!
    My a/c manifold hose developed a leak at the rear of the block where the aluminum tubing actually started tearing way from the manifold assembly. Got that replaced. Installed my oil cooler adapter and lines. Cleaned up my 0411 swap wiring. Played with the calibration a fair amount as well. Also got a line on a L31 Marine intake and dug out my set of now discountinued Doug Thorley Express van headers. I should be up around 425-450 ft/lbs of torque and 375 HP when I am done. I also brake stall tested the B82 converter behind my lightly cammed L31 5.7 and found it stalled just under 2,150 rpm with the drivetrain fully heat soaked and it was difficult to keep the right rear tire from spinning. With cooler IATs it flash stalls 2,300-2,400 rpm. I have a GM 9.5" ring gear corporate 14 bolt to fix the one wheel peel. As it is its not running too badly, runs 0-60 in 8 seconds, about 1 second slower than a 2000 C1500 4.8/4L60E/3.42 geared RCSB truck with a CAI, Headers, and Catless exhaust that I tuned the other day. When the weather cools off and the other parts find their way on, it should run well into the 7s 0-60 range, maybe even touch a high 6 second 0-60.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-16-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Unwrapped my Doug Thorleys and scrutinized every inch for flaws or defects and pictures do not give thes headers justice. They are quite simply works of art.

Fuel Injected!
    They are beautiful headers, and work well, I just wish there was a bit more collector, but there isnt room. Isnt this the 2nd set of Thorleys?
    What diameter are the headpipes on those?

Nice buy.

peace
    Hog

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    They are beautiful headers, and work well, I just wish there was a bit more collector, but there isnt room. Isnt this the 2nd set of Thorleys?
    What diameter are the headpipes on those?

Nice buy.

peace
    Hog
    My 3rd set actually, my old red 83 brick had a set too. Headpipes bump up from 2.5" to 2.75". They have 2.5" collectors that step up to match the factory 2.75" exhaust .
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-21-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I got my hands on that Marine L31 intake fully dressed for $450 and it looks to be in very nice shape, although dusty from storage. I plan to clean it up tomorrow, strip it of un-needed marine parts, and paint it red like a Firehawk/LT4 intake.

It's amazing the quality of Doug Thorley Headers or any quality header for that matter when you look/feel/hold and compare them to cheap crap! Let alone install with no issues like spark plug clearence, gaskets not leaking and blowing out! Then look again after a year of use and they still look sweet too!

Nice photo how you got the sparkle from camara flash!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    It's amazing the quality of Doug Thorley Headers or any quality header for that matter when you look/feel/hold and compare them to cheap crap! Let alone install with no issues like spark plug clearence, gaskets not leaking and blowing out! Then look again after a year of use and they still look sweet too!

Nice photo how you got the sparkle from camara flash!
    Thanks and yes I do agree on the install issues. Even the primaries are dimpled at the flanges for clearance for starting the required length of bolt for the thick flanges. Its steps like this and the ones mentioned above that made the Thorleys a steal for the price.

Fuel Injected!
    The marine intake ended up cleaning up well the way it is. I am debating bead blastig some minor corrosion areas on it and repainting it or wire brushing the trouble spots and touching it up. I had a few things to do today and did not have a chance to start stripping it yet.

The more thought I put into the more my mind keeps telling me to stay with black and look stock from under the hood.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    The marine intake ended up cleaning up well the way it is. I am debating bead blastig some minor corrosion areas on it and repainting it or wire brushing the trouble spots and touching it up. I had a few things to do today and did not have a chance to start stripping it yet.

The more thought I put into the more my mind keeps telling me to stay with black and look stock from under the hood.
    looks like a cast iron intake, that thing has to weigh a ton!
    '86 Grand National

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
    looks like a cast iron intake, that thing has to weigh a ton!
    The lower half is cast iron and the upper aluminum. It is goin to be a 2 person operation to set it into place. I will probably install the undressed base and assemble it on the van.

Despite having a fuel rail mounted regulator this thing was setup to run returnless as it has a capped fitting on the return line and I am considering AN lines in place of my factory rigid plastic lines I hate.

The boats distributor was vacuum vented as well.
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-23-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    That intake looks great. Mine was painted Mercruiser red all over. Good luck with your retrofit.

If you are planning on using the stock injectors, I had a set flowed and they came out at 25 lb/hr at 43.5 psi. Comes out to 28.9 lb/hr at 58 psi (4BAR) which is the pressure the marine regulator outputs with with the vaccuum reference unplugged. Plugged in pressure comes down to around 52psi.

peace
    Hog