Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4L60E is out and 4L80E about to go in.

Fuel Injected!
    Where are you located fast?
    I have a spare 0411 laying around,I can flash it and send it your way.
    Just pull the file with HPT and send it back my way.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Playtoy_18 View Post
    I am in the Fort Worth area.

I had HP Tuners perform a segment swap for me. PCM should be taken care of, but I appreciate the generous offer of assistance. If it doesn't work out I might still take you up on that offer in the near future.

Managed to get the crossmember hacked up and modified to my liking and plan to work on it some more tonight. I will trim down some of the extra material with my cut-off wheel, smooth it, degrease it and paint it with some self-priming flat black paint to keep it from rusting at the welds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-29-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Playtoy_18 View Post
    I didn't think he would need that much help. I would have done the same for him.

Don't ever let that hold you back Fast!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I didn't think he would need that much help. I would have done the same for him.

Don't ever let that hold you back Fast!
    It has been a battle, the whole way through, but I know the end result will be worth the fight. I was unable to find anybody that had swapped a 4L80E into an Express chassis of any year. Now that I know what has to be done, I could do it again with my eyes closed.

I am actually considering dropping some Edelbrock ETec 200 heads on the engine and making some more HP out of it. I would go with the smaller 170s, but they are really not much of an improvement over the factory iron heads.

I have been searching high and low for a pair of used ASM oversized long tube runners that flow 260 cfm, right where the ETec's flow in the .550" lift range I am running. Hoping to match the whole combination up to make ~425 HP and 500 ft/lbs from the 5.7. If I ever get around to doing this, I plan to send the whole thing to Llyod Elliot as he is highly experienced in porting LT1 heads and the ETec heads are practically copies of the LT4 heads. The Vortec TPI base only flows in the high 220 range, but I have a feeling that can be fixed.

The resident Grand National and Supra experts at work are pushing me to slap a mid-mount T76 on it, a front mounted intercooler and put about 10 psi to it on E85.
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-29-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    A little more grinding, a thorough cleaning and some flat black rustoleum. Almost looks like it could have came that way.

Fuel Injected!
    And I broke my double flare tool...But the transmission is in and the cooler lines are halfway finished. New tune is loaded to the PCM and I only have to pickup some new loom for the harness to finish it. Its been a little bit of a chore but IMO worth it for peace of mind.

I don't think you had a choice with your quest for HP!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I don't think you had a choice with your quest for HP!
    No I didn't. In my quest for more power I scooped up a massive 6.5L diesel express airbox that has a much larger opening, scoop and huge increase in filter surface area. .

Fuel Injected!
    Only have wiring to finish in the morning.

Replaced the 4" yoke with a 6" yoke and the driveshaft fits great. I had a misunderstanding with the driveshaft guy and he did not realize I had a booted seal and he had told me to pull the yoke out 1" from fully inserted. Which I misunderstood as being to the boot. The longer yoke fixed up the slack on the transmission end.

I found some slick transmission fittings that go straight from the trans case to -6AN and another set that go from 1/4 npt to -6AN. So I am ordering parts to fully replace my temporary lines with -6AN braided stainless teflon lined hoses and adding a Derale external cooler with thermostatically controlled pusher fan after the in-radiator cooler.
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-31-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Those coolers with fan are sweet.

If your doing the JY, on late 90s dodge cummins diesel trucks they had a trans cooler with fan mounted under the bed. Nice unit but hard to find that kind of rig for parts.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Wiring is done!

Fuel Injected!
    Test drove it today, must say I really like the way it drives, even on the stock shift points and TCC settings. The converter clutch is a bit weird in the way the stock tables control it, but it operates fairly smoothly, save for the firm upshifts and downshifts.

I was going to play with the shift points and TCC some, but as I ventured a little further from home, I saw a massive smoke screen form behind me, got pulled over and found that the front pump seal had failed/pushed out, not sure yet. Not sure what caused that because it was a new Felpro seal that I seated the same way I have seated every other seal. I had to call out a wrecker to pick it up. I am done at this point, I sent it to a local shop I deal with to R&R the trans and replace the seal. Its all swapped over now and I am tired of laying on the concrete on my back. This swap has fought me the entire way. They will start on it Tuesday morning.

With the B82 converter it is suprisingly torquey from a stop, but as soon as it starts to couple well in the 2,500 rpm range, you get that 1-ton Van feel. Kick it too the floor and it will wind up to about 45 mph in 1st, go into 2nd and keep right on pulling up to about 85 mph in 2nd.
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-31-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I became bored today and cleaned up my $8.00 oil cooler adapter and brackets I scored from a light duty 3/4 ton van with a Vorte 305. Then I hooked my new Dorman oil cooler lines to the adapter after changing the O-rings in the fittings. They come right out with a pick and Ace Hardware carries the exact replacement. Beats $10 a quick connect. When I get it back this week I will install the cooler and lines as well as change the oil and filter.

I am thinking of going back to the wrecking yard next weekend and scooping up the upper and lower control arms, spindles, front caliper brackets and calipers from the van. It is a light duty 2500 with larger front rotors, larger caliper pistons, larger wheel bearings and 6 lug rotors. I will rebuild them all with polyurethane bushings, new balljoints, reseal the calipers and mount them on with new shocks and 3/4 ton front springs. Followed by a 6 lug, 4.10 geared disc brake rear-end from an 03+.

I can hardly wait to get it back and finish the project by tuning the shift points, removing some tq management and eliminating wot tcc lockup.

Fuel Injected!
    So I got it back this afternoon and had a chance to datalog a little with HP Tuners. For being a stock transmission tune with the stock spark maps and stock torque management in place its actually running well for the summer heat. Even at 10:00 P.M it was more than 90°F and 3,000 ft density altitude. I plan to get it dialed in as nicely as my old 60e setup soon. Only wish I had gone with 4.30 or 4.56 gears now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CqkRkABKk4

Fuel Injected!
    I messed with the tune and have it now driving much better than the horrible, near undriveable stock tune. All the WOT torque converter lockup settings are gone and it has a very progressive shift speed and lockup table that makes it shift and behave much more 4L60E like. Brought back in some timing and only left 15% torque reduction at WOT rather than the 25-30% stock. Knocked nearly 4 seconds off the 0-80!!!! Glad I found my power again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTXqMCkF34